IGNORED

How do you hit a power fade?

Note: This thread is 3033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Gaber, I always feel a little bit cheated when I hit the driver and fade it. I think I just like the way the draw feels when you hit it. I've been thinking about trying to optimise my launch and spin(thanks Lucius wooding) and I'm thinking about taking my drivers into the shop to see if I can hire the trackman and operating monkey for half an hour. Mind you they want to sell golf clubs and all I want to do is see how much I'm spinning the ball. When I hit the "power fade, it feels "safe", kind of friendlier. I know I'm probably going to be in play, but not as long as a straight or draw. PS. I went to the range today to hit my 48 inch driver. Now that's a power fader. If I can get back to the ball it's a power fade if I don't make it back it's a FADESLICE.

thanks for the reply guys - I was curious to get peoples thoughts - I'm going to try out what was suggested here and get back to you guys- I was noticing that in my backswing I was a lot more shallow than normal - going to adjust that and keep my arms up like I normall do

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 9.5*

Wood: 3 Wood Cobra S2 17*

Hybrid: 3 & 4 Hybrid Titleist PT 585 H 21* 24*

Irons: 5-PW Mizuno MP-69 

Wedges: 52*/5 R-12, 58*/10 Black Ox, 64*/7 T-11 Mizuno 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dug this thread up as I revisit it from time to time when the hook starts creeping in, which it has. Severely. Worse than ever.

When I am hitting my best fades I am aligning myself left and also aligning my clubface in the same manner, i.e. my clubface is square to where I am aiming.  When I swing I come from the inside and feel like I am holding off the release.  Basically just push it to the left-center of the fairway.  Sometimes it doesn't fade, so basically it is just a block basically. But it feels great and the contact is solid.  So I guess it is more of a feel thing for me.

It seems to have escaped me though.  Been double crossing myself and hooking it.  I just feel really handsy through impact and can't seem to get it under control.  Only with driver and occasically with 3 wood, a hook doesn't even cross my mind when hitting an iron....weird.  It's driving me INSANE!

Dug this thread up as I revisit it from time to time when the hook starts creeping in, which it has. Severely. Worse than ever.  When I am hitting my best fades I am aligning myself left and also aligning my clubface in the same manner, i.e. my clubface is square to where I am aiming.  When I swing I come from the inside and feel like I am holding off the release.  Basically just push it to the left-center of the fairway.  Sometimes it doesn't fade, so basically it is just a block basically. But it feels great and the contact is solid.  So I guess it is more of a feel thing for me. It seems to have escaped me though.  Been double crossing myself and hooking it.  I just feel really handsy through impact and can't seem to get it under control.  Only with driver and occasically with 3 wood, a hook doesn't even cross my mind when hitting an iron....weird.  It's driving me INSANE!

Dude. Same thing for me. I spent countless balls teaching myself to hit a super consistent, easy to hit fade when I realized a consistent draw is a figment of the ****ing imagination. I always fought a slice, so the left side of a hole is very foreign territory. Ever since I developed the fade (which don't get me wrong, I love) my miss has been a pull hook. Super frustrating to align left of the target, then watch the ball start left and keep turning left. The worst part is when I aim right to compensate (the ball flight would be a perfect draw if it was aimed correctly) it's instantly a ****ing slice.

Tried this at the range today. It works. 9 out of 10 balls power faded. Got maybe 7-10 extra yards and a 5 yard fade. Noticed the trajectory was slightly higher so I wouldn't play it in the wind. Awesome shot to have in the ol' arsenal!

- Jered

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like fading the ball as well, and I can't really seem to get myself to draw the ball consistently off the tee (nor do I like the shot shape as much).  I align my feet and body lines left, and align my club face in between where I am aiming and where I want the ball to end up (not quite at the target, just a little to the left of the target).  I then unwind from the top and try to aggressively hit left as hard as I can while trying to hit it from the inside.  One thing that I think about it t to have the heel staying ahead of the toe at impact.  This will keep the club face opened up and closing at impact when you're pulling the club to the left.  Best case scenario, I hit it super solid on the club face, and it travels just parallel to a straight shot, ends up landing around the same spot, and running like hell out to the right center of the fairway.  Worst case scenario, I can get over the top and I pull it straight to the left.  On rare occasions, my wrists decide to take on a life of their own and flip on impact, and duck hooks ensue.  But it's a sweet feeling to see a shot shoot out to the left towards potential trouble, and knowing for a fact that it's going to stay in the fairway, because it's fading right back in.

• 7 months later...

Hi

What is the reason for setting up left since you don't swing along your stance line. Couldn't you set up square to the target and get the same results. I'm not being argumentative, I just don't understand why you have to set up left.

Thanks

Ralph

I think the reason you set up left is because you are hitting a push fade. If you set up straight and hit a push fade, you would miss to the right of your target(assuming you are a right handed golfer). That's my take. Could be wrong.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

I think the reason you set up left is because you are hitting a push fade. If you set up straight and hit a push fade, you would miss to the right of your target(assuming you are a right handed golfer). That's my take. Could be wrong.

Yeah that's how a lot of the great faders of the game do it, just "pre-set" the path left but they still swing "out" at the ball.  So if they aimed 6* left, swung out 3*, swing direction is still 3* left.  If you aim straight then you have to actually swing left, can cause some issues with contact and getting enough height.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 year later...

Howdy... With all due respect everyone above is telling you how to hit a fade, which ofcourse has it's place, but I will try my best to explane the power fade and how to use it to kick major ass.

Have you ever seen tiger tee off with a 2-iron? He hits it 260-275 while he normally plays his 2-iron around 235-240. The way he gets so much extra yardage is using the same principal found in the power fade. When he sets up he leaves the face wide open on the Iron and hits it as hard as he can, trying to hook it. Effectively giving him a monster 2-iron. Now to the power fade. A pro never fades the ball the way most weekend golfers do unless they need to really slice it. An amateur aims left, points the clubhead at the target and swings a bit out to in trying to spin it more even though they set up to make a normal swing, just along a different path. Killing distance and accuracy and this also leads to the occasional pull/hook. A pro on the other hand aims a little further left than his amateur friend and aims the clubface at the target. Now instead of try to fade it (Cutting across it or flicking your hands) he just swings aggressively with a draw swing, though still creating a slight fade because his setting up with the club open. This shot goes forever because he approached the ball from the inside and from a more shallow angle. Go out and try this with a 5 or 6 iron. Hit your normal fade first and then set up a bit further left of the target and swing with that nice draw swing. Since the clubface is open and you are releasing fully, hitting hard, letting your body out race you a bit you will never be able to hit it left, and it will fly forever! I will try and post a video on my blog soon that will explain the power fade in more detail.

I tried the method you explained,and it's been working great! Thank you very much.

• 2 months later...

Very informative thread! I will try it in the range tomorrow.

My best driver shots often carry about 240 and roll 10 yards more but they aren't consistent at all.

So recently I often hit the ball pull fades( aim right of the fairway, if it fades then great, even if I push it to the left, it only go to the rough left of the fairway) but got very frustrated because it only carry about 220 yards or so and not rolling at all. Now I know the reason why. 

Still prefer to hit a powerful draw but you have to practice a natural stock shot for you and I think the fade is more "natural" for me. 

Will come back to the draw once I master the "power fade".

Note: This thread is 3033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!