IGNORED

How long to break 100/90/80...?

Replay
Note: This thread is 3792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm very close to breaking 100 and shot 46 on my last 9 hole round,just thought it would be good to ask how much play that entailed in breaking those scoring barriers as frequency of play and practice does have a bearing along with talent.Some have said but not all.It's interesting to know.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I never had many rounds in the 100's when I first started playing. It took me about 3 years to break into the 70's. Now I hover around high 70's low 80's. A great round for me is about 75.

All things relative. My home coures is 72.3/132 from the tees I play.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

I never had many rounds in the 100's when I first started playing. It took me about 3 years to break into the 70's. Now I hover around high 70's low 80's. A great round for me is about 75.

pretty much the exact same story for me.

Took me about 3 months to break 100, haven't broken 90 yet though, on my 8th month of playing.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

Broke 100 with a 95 at Coronado this Sunday... yeah me!!!
70.1/117 oh... and only 3 putted twice!
Playing half-moon bay links (twice) over turkey day week and should get about 5-6 rounds in by the end of year.

been playing 5 1/2 months now.. took me 3 to break 90, ill shoot high 70's occasionaly now as well.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

I regularly broke 100 almost straight away.

broke 80 after about 18 months.

i do remember my first few times nearly breaking 80, getting to the 18th needing a par and just failing.

been playing 3 years and i am happy if i shoot in mid 70s. Really good day is 73/74.

Average 79.

I am dissappointed if i shoot 80+.

Have shot under par twice on 9 hole courses.

PING G10 : 10.5*, TFC129 : Stiff - 44"
PING G10 : 15* and 18* : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff - 42 1/2"
PING G10 : 3 Hybrid : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff
Mizuno : MP Fli Hi 4 Iron - DGS300
Mizuno : MP 60 : 5-PW - DGS300Callaway Tour Wedges : 52*and 58*Wilson PutterGoals : Get to the next level. Stuck on a...

Not sure when I seriously broke 100, but let's say 20 years. Took another 2 years to break 90 and one year to break 80.

I started playing when I was around 10 or so. Didn't take it seriously until about 3 years ago.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I broke 100 the first time I played. I had a month or two of range time before that, though. 90 took about two months, 80 took about 9.

In my stand bag:
9* G10 driver
904F 15* 3 wood
3-PW MP-52 irons
Burner Rescue 19* HybridSpalding 60* lob wedge Tiffany 34"Leupold GX-I rangefinderTitleist Pro V1 ball

Broke 100 in less than a year, but took 7 years to break 90 as I didn't golf much (maybe 20 rounds per year on average. I started playing weekly this year and it took 2 months to get to playing in the 90's all the time and about 2 more months to break 90, still haven't broken 80 but I have shot a 83 4 times so it is close.

today was the day I broke 80!

3 doubles 5 bogies 7 Pars 3 birdies I went 38 - 41. I sank an 8 footer that broke 2 ft on 18 for birdie and an 8 over 79. nice thing was I didn't pay attention to my score card so I had no clue that the tricky birdie putt was for 79. It was very nice suprise when i added up my card to see the 79!
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

been playing 5 1/2 months now.. took me 3 to break 90, ill shoot high 70's occasionaly now as well.

Perhaps you'd be so kind as to sign a bunch of autographs for everone 'cause you are destined for greatness.

5.5 months and shooting occasionally in the 70's.... You are either totally full of baloney or you are the real deal rising star. Not saying you are misleading us...only that your success is improbable.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Started playing in '69, broke 90 in '72,,,broke 80 in '73,,,been stuck there ever since.

I think the leap from consistantly breaking 80 to a sub-5 hndcp is hugh requireing far more time than the avg player can dedicate. I live in S. Fla, can play every day if I had the time but to shoot 75 or better on a regular basis is a goal I don't have the time for nor the athleticism to accomplish.

I am slow starter so it took me a long time to break 100, 90, 80 and after 24 years I broke par three times.

I think the formula for lowering your handicap

Putting number one and the ability to get up and down from around the green.
for handicaps up to shooting par.

When you are shooting under par the ability to hit greens becomes more of a factor and maintaining your putting and up and down ability.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Broke 100 within the first month or so when I started playing regularly at age 19 or 20. Broke 90 and 80 the next summer when I was practicing/playing 5-6 days a week and after taking a few lessons.
Sadly I didn't play much the past few years, but I'm getting back into it now. The best I've done this year is low 80s, but hopefully I'll be back in the 70s next summer!
Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. ~John Updike

In my stand bag:
Driver: 983k 10.5*3 Wood: Sumo2 15*Irons: 690cb 2-PWWedges 54* and 58* oil can finishPutter: White hot mallet

6 months to break 90, 4 months later broke 80

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

I can almost guarantee if you work on your short game you can break 90 within 3 months and 80 within a year. A couple years ago I started focusing on keeping a steady head after reading a Golf Diget article by Hank Haney. I then bought a product on ebay called the Steady-Head (like $30 bucks) which is pretty cool and actually works. I took 3-4 strokes off my game in less than one year by working on the short game and keeping a steady head. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
Note: This thread is 3792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!