IGNORED

Employment = Free Play??

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 1475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought about trying to get a very part-time job at a course ... enough to get some discounts on golf. I already work a full time job so I don't want to book myself too much that I can't enjoy myself.

When I go to the golf course website (if it even has one), I rarely find job listings on there.

I assume that since there is not much golfing here in Colorado during the winter, the best time to find jobs at courses is in the early spring before the season starts?

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

my dad works for the local course management company that manages something like 20 courses in and around the chicago area. The deal for him is free golf and free cart anytime he wants to play. Also, his boss can call other courses in the "network" and he can play those free as well. The catch is taht he can not make a tee time and has to sqeeze in. These courses being the county owned municipals are usually always booked.

Also, family (me) gets to play with him free as well. And his guests (non family) play for the cost of the cart (regardless if we walk or ride)

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

It helps to know people that work at golf courses too. We used to have a great connection at Kingsmill in Williamsburg. A friend of ours was a cart guy and he happened to be great friends with one of the starters. Whenever they were working together we could come up and play 18+cart for free. Those were the days.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

Ya I've gotten to know one of the starters and one of the Pro Shop workers pretty well too. Sometimes get free golf or free range balls. Not sure how to actually look for jobs there since I don't see anywhere on their website or any postings on the wall.

I suppose all I can do is ask them ... and hope they don't laugh at me

Callaway X-18 Irons | TaylorMade R5 Driver, 200 Steel 3 Wood | Cleveland Golf CG-14 Gap & Sand Wedge | Titleist Vokey Lob Wedge | Odyssey White Hot Putter | Titleist ProV1 Ball | Bushnell Pro 1600 Tournament Edition Laser Rangefinder

I had a couple of friends that worked at a private course when I was in high school. They got free golf anytime they were not working and the course wasn't busy. The pro shop would close at 6:00 and since people would still be playing, and they had to put the carts away, we would play the back nine. By the time we got done all of the carts were waiting at the shed. I would help them put the carts away to 'pay' for my 9 holes.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I thought about trying to get a very part-time job at a course ... enough to get some discounts on golf. I already work a full time job so I don't want to book myself too much that I can't enjoy myself.

Put in an application and start lobbying now. Don't wait until spring or you'll be at the bottom of the pile. When I knew I was going to retire the end of 2005, I was in the pro shop putting in my application in October. My timing happened to be good because they had been short a starter already, so I was hired as soon as the snow melted in 2006. I know that my course gets a hundred more apps than they can fill each year, so get in early if you're serious about it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Where do you guys find these golf course jobs? I've tried looking online & haven't found anything. When I go to the course I don't see any postings on the wall or anything. Are you just asking the guys at the counter if they are hiring?

Yes, just ask the guys in the proshop if they are hiring.
I've worked at a golf course, and we got free golf, free range balls, free fountain drinks, and one free meal a day. I was getting paid minimum wage, but at that time my hcap was probably a 5. If they would of kept count of how much golf i played, i would of owed them money for sure.

At my course, employees just go out whenever they feel like it. I'm going to tag along with the tennis pro and get some free rounds in sometime.

I don't work in golf, but work at resort with several courses. Only have to pay 15, which is the cart fee. Limited to when the courses aren't really busy, but I've never had a problem with that. Free range time and discounts at the pro shops.

I love working in this business and having a large network of free golf. Oh did I forget the Personal use discounts from all club companies??!! Yes this is a great business to work in but by the end of the golf season you are BEAT!

905R 9.5* driver
R7 15* 3-wood
G5 19* hybrid
2010 AP2 Irons 3 - PW
256-10 56* 260-04 60* Newport studio stainless 308 ProV1x ball SG5

I love working in this business and having a large network of free golf. Oh did I forget the Personal use discounts from all club companies??!! Yes this is a great business to work in but by the end of the golf season you are BEAT!

what do you do in the industry?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

Outside golf operations manager.

are you expected to play daily or often then?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

I just put in a application to volunteer at the public course near my house. On the county website it says you just need to volunteer a minimum of 6 hours a week and you can play up to 18 holes (its a 9 hole course) a day for free. Nothing beats free golf.

I just sent a bunch of emails to the golf courses & Country Clubs in my area.

Most replies were to try back at the beginning of next year (since this season is almost over). And one of the replies was for me to send my resume ... not sure why they need that since I'm not leaving my full time job. Maybe to just make sure I'm not a criminal :)

Note: This thread is 1475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!