IGNORED

No 1. Golf Course in the World

RC
Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

About the "only one option" to play the hole comment, that is not quite right -- I over-stated there. But, you pretty much have to hit the perfect shot to attack most holes. The four iron example is not the only way to play that par five. You can hit a driver or 3 wood, but the further it goes, the more it slopes hard right, and the next shot is a percision shot so you want a level second shot. The closer you get to the green, the more difficult is the third shot. So if you are confident in your mid-and longer-irons, that is a safer way to go. The hole is 603 yards long from the tips, so a 3 wood, long iron and mid iron might be just as good a strategy.

Normally, I fully agree that a hole should offer options, but PV is a place where accuracy is the reward for most shots. Even with a 600 yard par 5 and 461 yard par 4, the couse plays only about 6500 yards, maybe less.

There have been some professional events at PV and a Walker Cup. According to a book I have about the construction and history of the course, the professional record for 18 holes is (or was) 68, or two under the par of 70. I don't know if that record has been broken... probably has been by now. I last played it about 12 years ago.

RC

I have played maybe 15 of the 100 you can play.I have played the Black about 200 times or more since 1970 in high school and must say it stands out against any of the others.If I had one last round it would be Augusta as I have never played it and probably never get the chance.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Theres no rakes because the course has more bunkers than any course in the world. For example the second hole probably has about 25 bunkers going along each side of the fairway. This is from my memory when I walked it for the Crump Cup (amateur tournament) two years ago. For those who don't know, this is the only day of the year Pine Valley lets the public in to look at the course and watch the top amateurs in the country play. I live about 20 minutes from pine valley and for those hoping to play it dont get your hopes up. Pine Valley is probably the hardest course to get on in the world. Just to be a member, you have to be invited by a couple members then approved by a commitee, then pay the money (not cheap). I caddy at a nearby course and there are actually ten or so pine valley members there. I caddied for the Mayor of Pine Valley once (Pine Valley probably consists of 50 citizens). Also, caddying at Pine Valley is everyone's dream in this area. Its upwards of 110 bucks a bag depending on who your caddying for.

In my Ping bag:
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5*

3 Wood: Nickent Pro
Irons: Titleist AP2 Project x 5.5Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 Series Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: Scotty Cameron Detour 1 (just ordered it)

Nothing could be further than the truth than to suggest that there is only one way to play each hole. PV is the most strategic course I have ever played. On most holes, you have to decide how much trouble you want to bite off to give yourself an easier second and a chance for par and birdie. Many times you will have to decide whether to try to carry a waste area or other hazard or to take the safe play and lay up short. The layout is brilliant. It is a chess game from start to finish.

A very good way to describe it -- a chess match. There are many forced carries, but it is always a chess match and a test of your nerves to decide what you will do. The course does present you with options; of course, this is true, but there is a premium to play the optimal shot you can hit and a penalty to pay if you miss it. I have played eight rounds at PV, and each one was filled with different situations that tested my own limits of shot making -- and when I missed a shot, the result was very challenging. The course humbled me, that is for sure. It is a brilliant layout and both a mental and physical challenge.

All I meant was really that each shot is presented to you and you know what your shot should be, what is the best for you to try... that is why I think it is a fair course, just tougher than nails.

RC

Ironically, I have a Pine Valley Polo golf shirt that I bought from TJ Maxx. I always get comments every time I wear it.

Nice! Left nut seems like a fair price.

Driver= Titleist 909D3 9.5 deg
3 Wood= Titleist 909F3 15 deg
Hybrid= Adams Idea Pro Black 19 deg
Irons 3-P= Titleist 695 CB
Wedges= Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 54/10, 60/4Putter= Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5Ball= Titleist ProV1x, NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 5337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!