IGNORED

Why Aren’t More People Copying Moe Norman's Swing?

Msokol13
Note: This thread is 864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/27/2018 at 3:18 PM, Vinsk said:

Well, not really. He sets up with a straight line through his club shaft and lead arm. But his bs is not on the same plane as his set up. I’m not very well educated on swing plane mechanics but he certainly doesn’t have a ‘single plane’ as far as my undertstanding of ‘single.’

The angle in the video doesn't help either because it is not on his toe line in the DTL view.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

not the same swing with the legend Moe. but Bryson Decambeau could win some pga. and have 82% GIR.....correct me, it the highest GIR percentage in Tour...

single plane Rock ! 😄

Edited by efdeel74

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

1 hour ago, efdeel74 said:

single plane Rock ! 😄

I don’t think so. I think some people rock a ‘single plane.’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, Vinsk said:

I don’t think so. I think some people rock a ‘single plane.’

with 82% GIR

18% people will rock to it

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

• iacas changed the title to Why aren’t more people copying Moe Norman's swing?
4 hours ago, efdeel74 said:

with 82% GIR

18% people will rock to it

Bryson rockin’ that single plane in the Tour Championship.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Bryson rockin’ that single plane in the Tour Championship.....

Don't troll. He's had a pretty good year, despite his current struggles at East Lake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 1 year later...

My swing is INSPIRED by Moe Norman swing:

10 hours ago, efdeel74 said:

My swing is INSPIRED by Moe Norman swing:

Can’t tell very much from the video. It does appear your balance is a bit off no? Waist down video hard to analyze. Aside from having handle far from belt line what do you do that you consider to be Moe inspired? Congrats if this has helped you regardless.

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Can’t tell very much from the video. It does appear your balance is a bit off no? Waist down video hard to analyze. Aside from having handle far from belt line what do you do that you consider to be Moe inspired? Congrats if this has helped you regardless.

yup, sorry my camera angle was bad. I forget to bring my gopro + tripod. It was just put camera phone on the top on my bag, and leave it for hours.

The reasons for bad camera angle:

1. I was heavily more concentrate to  my swing....to find reasonably STRAIGHT and more importantly: CONSISTANT swing & ball flight.

2. I forget to bring my gopro

WILL do better next time.

"Aside from having handle far from belt line what do you do that you consider to be Moe inspired?"

My answers:

1. At the top of my backswing, I pulling hard my left hand as Moe mention.

2. Straight ball flight, No fade, No draw, I think no side spin.

Thank you a lot for your attention...

Edited by efdeel74

10 hours ago, efdeel74 said:

yup, sorry my camera angle was bad. I forget to bring my gopro + tripod. It was just put camera phone on the top on my bag, and leave it for hours.

The reasons for bad camera angle:

1. I was heavily more concentrate to  my swing....to find reasonably STRAIGHT and more importantly: CONSISTANT swing & ball flight.

2. I forget to bring my gopro

WILL do better next time.

"Aside from having handle far from belt line what do you do that you consider to be Moe inspired?"

My answers:

1. At the top of my backswing, I pulling hard my left hand as Moe mention.

2. Straight ball flight, No fade, No draw, I think no side spin.

Thank you a lot for your attention...

We can all appreciate the desire to have a ‘consistent swing and ball flight.’ But you need to remember that your swing is most likely consistent right now. It’s the errors  in our swings that will prevent us from having consistently good ball striking, and those errors are consistent most often. 

You may be feeling that you are ‘pulling your left hand hard’ from the top of your backswing. Why? What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Have you checked your video to see if there is any difference between your positions when you don’t pull hard? 

I don’t want to come off as a Debbie Downer but hitting the same club over and over can give a false sense of accomplishment. I can grab an 8i and get a groove and start to hit damn near the same spot 150yds away and feel like I’m a pro. ‘That’s it!’ I’ll think. I’ll con myself into thinking, ‘ boy If I could putt well I’d shoot a low score with that swing...I can’t miss!’ 

The reality is hitting the same club/shot over and over ( as Moe did) really isn’t a good indicator of how well your golf game is progressing. You need to change up your clubs randomly and very often. You really need to make sure why you’re doing the changes you’re trying to make, and make sure you’re doing it.

Moe was a great golfer. He proved that by playing at the professional level albeit short lived. But imagine if you took a tour level golfer and told him to quit playing golf and just hit balls all day. How good would they be at that..just ball striking. My guess is pretty damn good. This is why although he’s got a legend status I’m not really that astonished as others are about his talent. It would be like taking a professional basketball player out of the NBA and having him shoot free throws and three pointers all day and nothing else. Then to go and claim him as the ‘greatest shooter of all time.’ Well, kinda....but we’re interested in Basketball the sport, not just one aspect of basketball. Anyway, just my two cents. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

We can all appreciate the desire to have a ‘consistent swing and ball flight.’ But you need to remember that your swing is most likely consistent right now. It’s the errors  in our swings that will prevent us from having consistently good ball striking, and those errors are consistent most often. 

You may be feeling that you are ‘pulling your left hand hard’ from the top of your backswing. Why? What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Have you checked your video to see if there is any difference between your positions when you don’t pull hard? 

I don’t want to come off as a Debbie Downer but hitting the same club over and over can give a false sense of accomplishment. I can grab an 8i and get a groove and start to hit damn near the same spot 150yds away and feel like I’m a pro. ‘That’s it!’ I’ll think. I’ll con myself into thinking, ‘ boy If I could putt well I’d shoot a low score with that swing...I can’t miss!’ 

The reality is hitting the same club/shot over and over ( as Moe did) really isn’t a good indicator of how well your golf game is progressing. You need to change up your clubs randomly and very often. You really need to make sure why you’re doing the changes you’re trying to make, and make sure you’re doing it.

Moe was a great golfer. He proved that by playing at the professional level albeit short lived. But imagine if you took a tour level golfer and told him to quit playing golf and just hit balls all day. How good would they be at that..just ball striking. My guess is pretty damn good. This is why although he’s got a legend status I’m not really that astonished as others are about his talent. It would be like taking a professional basketball player out of the NBA and having him shoot free throws and three pointers all day and nothing else. Then to go and claim him as the ‘greatest shooter of all time.’ Well, kinda....but we’re interested in Basketball the sport, not just one aspect of basketball. Anyway, just my two cents. Cheers.

If my objective was score, I would take a good coach and practice regularly.

My 'nonsense crazy objective' now is have consistent straight ball flight, no fade, no draw, no side spin.

I just obsessed to find my own swing, inspired by Moe. I don't know, maybe one day I can share my video about my straight 'consistent swing and ball flight’....or maybe I failed in that journey. But either way I enjoy the journey.

Edited by efdeel74

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, efdeel74 said:

My 'nonsense crazy objective' now is have consistent straight ball flight, no fade, no draw, no side spin.

Why?

Honestly asking.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, efdeel74 said:

I just obsessed to find my own swing, inspired by Moe. I don't know, maybe one day I can share my video about my straight 'consistent swing and ball flight’....or maybe I failed in that journey. But either way I enjoy the journey.

I spent a lot of time studying Moe's swing and I must admit it is quite interesting. I did really well the few times I tried it. The only problem I had was when keeping my arms out front on plane like Moe I would eventually fall off of the swing some. Just a lack of practice on my part. Unlike Moe, I cannot hit a kazillion golf balls. If you can do Moe's swing, it will no doubt work though.

On a side note, I still like the time the guy asked Moe how long he had been using the same tee and Moe said something like "oh, 'bout seven years now".

• iacas changed the title to Why Aren’t More People Copying Moe Norman's Swing?
1 hour ago, efdeel74 said:

What objective is there, other than to score lower?  :hmm:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

51 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why?

Honestly asking.

bit frankly...

if my objective is single handicap, it will cost me more money...especially for play regularly at course.

if my objective is dead straight shot, it cost me less...because driving range are cheaper than course. And I can even play in the house with softer ball.

If I can play single handicap score but I can't hit consistently straight ball....I feel I still missing some thing inside me. I am sure any single handicap player is must be good at short game.

15 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What objective is there, other than to score lower?  :hmm:

for score, I will be happy if I can play at 80's.

I think, almost anyone, with any swing....can play 80s, it only need more practice on course...to sharpen their short game.

friend of my friend can play 80s with consistent big slice ball flight. He adjust his setup alignment to more left of the target.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, efdeel74 said:

bit frankly...

if my objective is single handicap, it will cost me more money...especially for play regularly at course.

if my objective is dead straight shot, it cost me less...because driving range are cheaper than course. And I can even play in the house with softer ball.

If I can play single handicap score but I can't hit consistently straight ball....I feel I still missing some thing inside me. I am sure any single handicap player is must be good at short game.

for score, I will be happy if I can play at 80's.

None of that really makes much sense to me.

The best players tend to make sure the ball curves in one direction most of the time. If a ball always curves left (it doesn't have to curve much), then that's easier to plan for and score with than a shot that you're trying to hit straight but which is almost always going to curve either to the left or to the right a little bit.

So the cost stuff has no bearing on this.

You can practice to develop a consistent fade or draw for the same - probably less, actually - than you can trying to learn to hit the ball straight every time. Doing that is a silly endeavor, IMO, that hampers your ability to score.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

None of that really makes much sense to me.

The best players tend to make sure the ball curves in one direction most of the time. If a ball always curves left (it doesn't have to curve much), then that's easier to plan for and score with than a shot that you're trying to hit straight but which is almost always going to curve either to the left or to the right a little bit.

So the cost stuff has no bearing on this.

You can practice to develop a consistent fade or draw for the same - probably less, actually - than you can trying to learn to hit the ball straight every time. Doing that is a silly endeavor, IMO, that hampers your ability to score.

maybe it only me, I want straight ball flight like Moe's.

If I meet a genie and give me choices: "play 70s consistently" or "straight ball flight consistently"......I will choose "straight ball flight".

Edited by efdeel74

Note: This thread is 864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!