IGNORED

What car for cross country golf trip?

mattrice
Note: This thread is 5326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OP, again, you'll get a lot of opinion. What fits me may not fit anyone else. Wait, haven't I said this somewhere before? Hmmm...

We did. Our next car won't be a Subaru though. For every 3 things I like about the Forester, there 2 that I don't. There is plenty of room for the driver, but not nearly enough for rear seat passengers (including the miniscule foot wells), we got a real tire as the spare (with matching rim), but the stowage for the privacy cover only fits if you have an emergency only spare tire, the exhaust system is rusting after only 3 years, the sound system could be better, but we only got the base 2.5X (it came standard with front disc brakes and rear drums so of course the braking could be better too). The rear struts take up so much room in the cargo area that you lose some room, reverse is geared too high which means you have to ride the clutch when reversing into an uphill parking stall. When using the the remote entry, the car beeps really loud. Unlocking all the doors beeps twice - I work nights and wake up half the neighbourhood unlocking the doors. The list goes on, but it's all strictly annoyance stuff. The safety, handling and power for a 4-cylinder won us over - barely.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did. Our next car won't be a Subaru though. For every 3 things I like about the Forester, there 2 that I don't. There is plenty of room for the driver, but not nearly enough for rear seat passengers (including the miniscule foot wells), we got a real tire as the spare (with matching rim), but the stowage for the privacy cover only fits if you have an emergency only spare tire, the exhaust system is rusting after only 3 years, the sound system was better in early 90s Mitsubishi Eclipse, the rear struts take up so much room that you lose room in the cargo compartment, reverse is geared too high which means you have to ride the clutch when reversing into an uphill parking stall, you have to press the remote twice to open all the doors and it beeps really loud when locking and unlocking the doors. When I work nights, I wake up half the neighbourhood unlocking the doors. The list goes on, but it's all strictly annoyance stuff. The braking could be stronger, but since we got the base 2.5X it came with front disc brakes and rear drums. The safety, handling and power for a 4-cylinder won us over - barely.

What year is your Subie? My parents have a 04' Forester and loves it. Almost 90k on it now. We've done nothing but oil change and change the brake pad. His is the 2.5XS though. I couldn't convince him to get the XT! The turbocharged one, because my mom can't drive a manual. lol
Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter
Utility Niblick 42*Balls ONE and C3

I want a WRX for my next car. I'll have to seriously look at one.

It's a nice car, but for the bang for the buck.. the mazdaspeed3 gives you a pull into your seat when you punch it!

Stock for stock the Speed3 is a better machine, but going aftermarket the subie owns.
Driver Dymo² 10.5*
Hybrid Sumo² 3H 20*
Irons Sumo SQ (4-AW)
Putter iC 2020 Putter
Utility Niblick 42*Balls ONE and C3

It's a nice car, but for the bang for the buck.. the mazdaspeed3 gives you a pull into your seat when you punch it!

I haven't driven a Mazdaspeed but I find it hard to believe it beat 300HP to 4 wheels stock. I guess I should have mentioned the small, little, teeny tiny letters "STi". If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right.

I've driven an STi, an Evo8, an RSX-S, an SRT4, plenty on "non-performance" geared vehicles, and a Viper (but that's a whole different ballgame. ) Out of those I'd take the STi. From what I've read here , and I tried to find one a couple years back as I'll buy used, the #'s just isn't quit at the WRX level, and I'm talking an STi. Pin it down on a ribbon of road filled with sweeping bends and you'll find the 3 carrying almost as much speed as an Evo or STI — provided that ribbon is racetrack smooth. Mazda insists it doesn't compete with those cars, but we can't help but make the comparison It's like college vs. the pros. Good, but not quite the same. Price wise though I agree, good bang for the buck. For that matter so is my turbo'd 02 Jetta...with a few mods. I am intrigued by the 3 though. Back when Mazdaspeed was new the Protege caught my eye. Hmmm...

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW
Zebra 60* SW G-Force Putter

Unless you're going four wheeling, I don't see the advantage of an SUV. Poor gas mileage and ride fails in comparison to a nice Minivan or a good sedan. If it's a foursome the van is the way to go. If it's only two, the nice sedan is the way.

From his other thread and the info here it appears he wants to keep it under $20K, have it be fuel efficient and comfortable, and hold his own personal luggage and golf bag. He's going on this trip by himself and blogging the whole thing.

I think you make the best points for exactly what I'm looking to do. I'll take a look at all 3. Appreciate the advice.

Escalade Hybrid.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

Unless you're going four wheeling, I don't see the advantage of an SUV. Poor gas mileage and

I agree on gas mileage, but have you ridden in a nice SUV? Its like riding in a Cadillac. I have the Yukon Denali XL and the ride is amazing, whether I'm backing out of my garage or cruising across the desert at 90mph.

- DN

- DN
Sun Mountain C-130 Bag - Titanium
Ping G10 Irons PW-5
Ping G10 Driver
Ping G10 21 and 24 HybridsPing G15 17 HybridScotty Newport 2 Button BackTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 52 (8), 56 (14), and 60 (4)Titleist ProV1Backspin Buddy Groove Sharpener (yes, it works great)Adidas 360 Ltd.

Unless you're going four wheeling, I don't see the advantage of an SUV.

Sorry man, gotta disagree with you on this one. I bought a Tahoe Z71 brand new last year, and I can honestly say there are very few cars/trucks/SUVs I've ever driven that compares to the ride. People talk about their irons being smooth and like butter - I'd probably describe the ride in the Tahoe to be the same way.

As for mileage, I was concerned with that before I bought it, as I have roughly an 80 mi. round trip commute every day. As long as I pay attention to what I'm doing, I can get 18-20 mpg out of it. Sure that doesnt compare to the small cars, but it's better than you'd expect too. I've averaged up to 21 mpg on some trips. Has tons of room for clubs and luggage and everything else too! And the seats are comfortable enough to sleep in.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Sorry man, gotta disagree with you on this one. I bought a Tahoe Z71 brand new last year, and I can honestly say there are very few cars/trucks/SUVs I've ever driven that compares to the ride. People talk about their irons being smooth and like butter - I'd probably describe the ride in the Tahoe to be the same way.

20mpg for an 80mile round trip daily commute? That's awful.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

20mpg for an 80mile round trip daily commute? That's awful.

Did you actually read the entire post? That's stop & go traffic in a full-size SUV. Relatively speaking, that's pretty good if you ask me, considering the 2005 Tahoes were at 13/17 city/hwy. If you want to compare it to a Prius though, yeah, I guess it is awful, but at 6'3", I'd have a hard time being comfortable in something like that.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Note: This thread is 5326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!