IGNORED

Walking or Cart???

Ty Haegs
Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you always walk, get a cart, or both

• I am a walker
    • Give me a cart
    • I enjoy both

Up until about a year ago I had always walked, as many as 36 holes a day carrying my bag. Didn't even want to use a trolley.
But at 53 my ankles have finally given out after years of playing soccer so I now regularly use an electric trolley to take the weight off of my back and shoulders. I find this much easier but still get sore ankles after 36, so I can soon see the day when 18 will be my limit.
I use a cart now and again, but only where absolutely necessary due to the layout of the course and on the basis that they can be driven up the fairways as in Portugal, Spain etc.
Over here in the UK most courses have a strict 90 degree rule and it's a pain in the ass when two of you are playing but are continually on different parts of the course going backwards and forwards.

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

I'm fat and out of shape so i ride.. 18 holes of walking and carrying a bag is going to make my back 9 look stupid. I'd take a caddie over a cart any day.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Have never ever used a cart and have no intention of using one..
I play golf for the exercise as much as anything else..
Can't understand anyone under the age of 60 using a cart to be honest

A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him

• 2 years later...

Golf is intended to be a walking sport. Anything else is not a sport. Walking is better for the game, for your health, your concentration and for interacting with your buddies. In my summer neighborhood, 90% of golfers walk. Most cart users are old, have medical issues or need their cart to carry cold beer. In my winter hangout in California courses either won't let you walk or the courses are not designed for walking. Sad. As to the time it takes...at my summer course we walk 18 holes on a championship course in four hours. In California, we are lucky to finish just about any course in five hours using carts. Really sad.

Originally Posted by JohnLund

Golf is intended to be a walking sport. Anything else is not a sport.

In your rather one sided tunnel vision anyway...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer to walk. I enjoy it much more than riding for most rounds. Exceptions are resort type courses where there are large distances between holes and best ball type of events where everyone is in a cart, shotgun start, etc.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No really. Take the walking part out and what do you have? Maybe an mechanized activity or a game at best but not a "sport." Take the physicality out of the game and you can not call it a sport. This is the same reason pro and amateur players walk during high-level tournaments, there is an endurance component to it. The Scots who invented the game would be shocked to see it turned into mechanized polo. This is not my one-sided idea, I think there are centuries of golfers ahead of me sharing this vision of the greatest game.

Golf is intended to be a walking sport. Anything else is not a sport. Walking is better for the game, for your health, your concentration and for interacting with your buddies. In my summer neighborhood, 90% of golfers walk. Most cart users are old, have medical issues or need their cart to carry cold beer. In my winter hangout in California courses either won't let you walk or the courses are not designed for walking. Sad. As to the time it takes...at my summer course we walk 18 holes on a championship course in four hours. In California, we are lucky to finish just about any course in five hours using carts. Really sad.

Ages old thread and discussion..... Down here, 90% ride. On most better courses walking isn't even an option. If you have the choice and chose to walk, knock yourself out and enjoy your game, but I'd be careful disparaging those who ride for whatever reason. Some of us old, stiff, and sore guys'll take your money all day long.....and get it done in 3 hours, if there's no one (walking or riding) ahead of us to slow things down! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I dont mind walking and will in the fall once in awhile. But the summers and late spring down here in South Carolina can be quite brutal to walk. Not to mention like someone else said most top courses down here do not allow walking or at very limited times. So most people really do not have a choice. As a side note most major tournaments down here allow walking.

I would much rather prefer to walk however, often the people I play with prefer to takes carts so I selected both...

My opinion is with carts you can't help but feel like your driving up to your ball, hit it take off and run up to the next shot do it all over again. Maybe it's just me but I feel like I can't slow down enough when I get up to my ball and take my time and hit my shot.

But when I'm walking up to my ball I'm already thinking about the shot, I'm setting the pace and overall more "involved" with the shot process.

Judging from the other post I have read it seams like that's the same thing we are all saying when we play "better" when we walk!

I prefer to walk. If the temp is over 95 I'll ride in a cart though, I don't feel heat stroke is very beneficial to my game. Riding in a cart just doesn't seem natural as far as this sport is concerned. Makes me feel like I'm in a big hurry.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by JohnLund

Quote:

No really. Take the walking part out and what do you have? Maybe an mechanized activity or a game at best but not a "sport." Take the physicality out of the game and you can not call it a sport. This is the same reason pro and amateur players walk during high-level tournaments, there is an endurance component to it. The Scots who invented the game would be shocked to see it turned into mechanized polo. This is not my one-sided idea, I think there are centuries of golfers ahead of me sharing this vision of the greatest game.

I walked when I played for 30 years, but I was never so full of myself that I would disparage anyone else for not walking.  I'm no longer physically able to walk the course, but that doesn't mean that I lose the intent of the game by riding in a cart.  To say that walking is the intent of the game is a complete fallacy.  If that was true it would also be mentioned somewhere in the Rules of Golf, and I can assure you that it is not.  The intent of the game is to deposit your ball in the hole by the process of a series of strokes, within the confines of the Rules - nothing more.

Walking or riding is a choice, pure and simple, sometimes a personal choice - other times the choice is dictated by the course or the weather or physical health.  The game of golf can be fun and challenging either way.  As far as players walking throughout the game's history, motorized carts have only really been around for about 50 or 60 of those 300+ years, so it simply wasn't an option.

You choose to walk and that's good for you.  But to say that you play a more pure form of golf because you walk is total bunk.  Show me that you play the game by the Rules, and then I'll agree to your purity of play, but it still won't have anything to do with walking.

Rick

I walked when I played for 30 years, but I was never so full of myself that I would disparage anyone else for not walking.  I'm no longer physically able to walk the course, but that doesn't mean that I lose the intent of the game by riding in a cart.  To say that walking is the intent of the game is a complete fallacy.  If that was true it would also be mentioned somewhere in the Rules of Golf, and I can assure you that it is not.  The intent of the game is to deposit your ball in the hole by the process of a series of strokes, within the confines of the Rules - nothing more.

Walking or riding is a choice, pure and simple, sometimes a personal choice - other times the choice is dictated by the course or the weather or physical health.  The game of golf can be fun and challenging either way.  As far as players walking throughout the game's history, motorized carts have only really been around for about 50 or 60 of those 300+ years, so it simply wasn't an option.

You choose to walk and that's good for you.  But to say that you play a more pure form of golf because you walk is total bunk.  Show me that you play the game by the Rules, and then I'll agree to your purity of play, but it still won't have anything to do with walking.

But you still have to admit that riding removes the endurance aspect of the game. So, insofar as one facet or component has been removed or negated, one might say that it is not as 'pure' in this form. It's the old Casey Martin argument.

That being said, I find it strange that adding the physical endurance aspect actually aids most people in their play...

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Quote:

But you still have to admit that riding removes the endurance aspect of the game. So, insofar as one facet or component has been removed or negated, one might say that it is not as 'pure' in this form. It's the old Casey Martin argument.

That being said, I find it strange that adding the physical endurance aspect actually aids most people in their play...

I don't see golf as an endurance sport anyway - never did.  It's a game of precision and strategy, not endurance.  Try and tell that to a runner or cyclist and he'd laugh in your face.  I was a mountain hiker and backpacker in an earlier life, and even that wasn't a real "endurance" exercise.

Rick

Go ahead and ride I don't give a poop. However, don't call what you do a "sport" cuz it ain't. Yes, it is a game, the best one in fact. I am not saying I am better than those who don't walk I was merely defining what can be called sport. And yes, I do belief that golf is a purer form of sport when you walk it as it was designed to be played. I don't think you will change that by calling it bunk because that is your feeling. It is a fact. I am 67, have arthritis in my right foot (old football injury), and will walk until I can't then I will ride. I guess I wanted to open this thread up cuz I am headed south again to the California's Coachella Valley where it is difficult to find good affordable walking courses. I say that because I walk all summer up north and am fit, strong legs etc. and then lose that over the winter cuz they make me ride a GD cart everywhere including great courses like the Classic Club, Desert Willow, Eagle Falls, and so many others that could be walked easily enough but don't let you. It is a beautiful game and yes I know the rules better than most thank you. Enjoy the game...walking or riding...your choice.

Note: This thread is 4179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!