Jump to content
IGNORED

Walking or Cart???


Ty Haegs
 Share

Note: This thread is 3269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

0  

  1. 1. Do you always walk, get a cart, or both

    • I am a walker
      67
    • Give me a cart
      17
    • I enjoy both
      44


Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by caniac6

Our course does not allow walking before 11:00 on weekends from April-November.I play a lot during the week,and walk. Sometimes I carry, sometimes I push.I prefer to play early on the weekends, so I ride when I have to.I don't care if golf is considered a sport or a game, I just play because it's fun.

A game you are darn good at by the look of it. Well done. And yes, golf is fun first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by JohnLund

Agreed. Golf is not an endurance sport but as I mentioned, I think Ken made it that on that occasion. I actually talked to Ken at a clinic he was giving in Palm Desert last year. He admitted that they didn't realize the importance of hydration back then. Glad to hear you keep up your fitness routine. That's what I have always found. It takes more than actually playing golf to stay fit. Some strength work plus cardio plus flexibility exercise will allow you to play better and longer and feel better in all things.

I don't know much about Ken but fitness and lifestyle back then was more than a little different. Lot's of cigarettes and "social" drinking on the tour. Look at those old PGA pictures now and those guys look interchangable with the cast of Madmen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I don't know much about Ken but fitness and lifestyle back then was more than a little different. Lot's of cigarettes and "social" drinking on the tour. Look at those old PGA pictures now and those guys look interchangable with the cast of Madmen.

Ha! I like that Madmen comment. You are so right. Compare the old PGA boys to Woods, Villegas, Westwood et al today...night and day. Though I think there might be a Madman or two in my foursome...hmmm, they might even be the same age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Interesting responses....geez

I walked exclusively for 15yrs+.  I enjoyed walking and considered myself a proud "DIE HARD WALKER" to be sure!!  A walker paired with riders has no trouble keeping up because I was always waiting on them!!   I had no problem walking 18holes in under 3hrs.  My regular walking 4-some usually completed 18 holes in 3.5hrs or less.   With regard to pace of play, the issue lies with the player, not whether he walks or rides.

In all honesty........ 90% of those claiming to be die hard walkers would gladly accept a cart if it was free.  If they say otherwise, I say 90% of them are full of crap.  My case for walking::::: I was playing 100+ rounds a year and spending plenty on golf already, and the additional cart fees were a luxury I could easily do without.   It wasn't until 2006 when golf memberships in my area started including carts that I started to ride.   I figured hey...if I'm already paying for it, I'm throwing my bag on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Interesting responses....geez

I walked exclusively for 15yrs+.  I enjoyed walking and considered myself a proud "DIE HARD WALKER" to be sure!!  A walker paired with riders has no trouble keeping up because I was always waiting on them!!   I had no problem walking 18holes in under 3hrs.  My regular walking 4-some usually completed 18 holes in 3.5hrs or less.   With regard to pace of play, the issue lies with the player, not whether he walks or rides.

In all honesty........ 90% of those claiming to be die hard walkers would gladly accept a cart if it was free.  If they say otherwise, I say 90% of them are full of crap.  My case for walking::::: I was playing 100+ rounds a year and spending plenty on golf already, and the additional cart fees were a luxury I could easily do without.   It wasn't until 2006 when golf memberships in my area started including carts that I started to ride.   I figured hey...if I'm already paying for it, I'm throwing my bag on!

Would I ride if I was in A.) a hurry, B.) the cart was free, and C.) I wouldn't still be waiting on other players on every shot? I have just as much chance of winning the lottery as having B and C line up.

BTW 90% is a high number. 90% of avid walkers would prefer to cart? And of those other 10%, 90% are lying? You could own the driving distance threads with that sort of positive attitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

In all honesty........ 90% of those claiming to be die hard walkers would gladly accept a cart if it was free.  If they say otherwise, I say 90% of them are full of crap.  My case for walking:::::

I have access to a free cart.  Have used it zero times this year.  My usual playing partner prefers to walk as well.  I have also paid for carts on regular league nights where my starting hole is too far from the clubhouse and everyone else is carting it.  I think only two of us are walkers out of the whole league.  I seldom play in the league anymore, not because of the cart use, but other issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by sean_miller

Would I ride if I was in A.) a hurry, B.) the cart was free, and C.) I wouldn't still be waiting on other players on every shot? I have just as much chance of winning the lottery as having B and C line up.

BTW 90% is a high number. 90% of avid walkers would prefer to cart? And of those other 10%, 90% are lying? You could own the driving distance threads with that sort of positive attitude.

Riding because you are in a hurry only applies to playing as a single or 2some on an empty golf course. You can only go as fast as the golfers in front of you!   When it comes to walking OR NOT, the best time to opt for a cart is when the course is full and the play is slow.   IMO.......walking is the worst when standing around and waiting to hit every shot.

No....I'm not saying 90% are lying..........they just don't know how they'd respond because most golfers haven't come face to face with that option yet.   The majority of golfers don't own annual golf memberships with carts included, so how would they know?

I know 1 good indicator:

If you play a daily fee course on the weekend with mandatory carts and you pay the fee because it's included in the green fee...........and choose to walk anyway.  If you do this, you are one of the 10%.  I've personally never seen a player choose to walk these courses.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites


It's true, I wait on guys in carts as much as anything. Some folks are just slow. But I've never had a walker keep up with me in a cart if we're a 2some. Something I try to avoid if time is an issue. Today I've walked 9000 steps averaging 3.5-4 mph and it took 80 minutes. Takes me roughly 90 minutes to walk 5.5-6ish miles. That's moving at a pretty good clip. If I moved my arms more I'd look like one of those creepy power walkers. I play a lot of golf after work, just enough time for 9 holes before dark. The guys in the pro shop let me know whether to head to 1 or 10 to avoid catching someone, riding or walking. They've been staggering it lately to make sure everyone finishes before dark. Getting tougher to play after work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by moparman426

I have access to a free cart.  Have used it zero times this year.  My usual playing partner prefers to walk as well.  I have also paid for carts on regular league nights where my starting hole is too far from the clubhouse and everyone else is carting it.  I think only two of us are walkers out of the whole league.  I seldom play in the league anymore, not because of the cart use, but other issues.

You Sir...qualify as part of the 10%....LOL

Suffering through a 2.5-3hr nine hole league walking "by choice" after paying for a cart definitely qualifies!   I personally never play league golf due to slow play.  Is this part of the "other issues" as to why you no longer participate?

with that said, 1 of my regular weekend group also qualifies.  he has the same membership as I and he sometimes opts to walk, but only once in a blue moon.   (a few times a year) He has to really hoof it too, because we usually finish in 3hrs 15minutes.  (we have the first tee time every weekend)  He keeps up no problem......

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

You Sir...qualify as part of the 10%....LOL

Suffering through a 2.5-3hr nine hole league walking "by choice" after paying for a cart definitely qualifies!   I personally never play league golf due to slow play.  Is this part of the "other issues" as to why you no longer participate?

with that said, 1 of my regular weekend group also qualifies.  he has the same membership as I and he sometimes opts to walk, but only once in a blue moon.   (a few times a year) He has to really hoof it too, because we usually finish in 3hrs 15minutes.  (we have the first tee time every weekend)  He keeps up no problem......


Lol, I also don't use push/pull carts.  I'm a carrier, although, with the right pushcart I could carry more beer.....hmmm.  I bought a pull cart for my wife and tried it once, but it was more of a workout than carrying, and it actually slowed me down.  As for pace of play in the league, it's actually the opposite....everyone plays like it's a race to get done, and I find riding in the cart just amplifies that mentality....  The issues that deter me from taking the league seriously is the stupidity of some of the people and their actions around the course.  Don't get me wrong, I will use a cart if we're out in a foursome with our wives or something, or especially if we have some non-golfers out for a fun round.  My wife only plays maybe 6 or 8 times a year, but she enjoys walking also.  Gives us some "adult time" together.

I voted for both, as I see nothing wrong with riding in a cart if the situation warrants it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by moparman426

I will use a cart especially if we have some non-golfers out for a fun round.

Hahaha......I use that very same term!!!  ...... "NON-GOLFERS" .  I know exactly what you mean!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Would I ride if I was in A.) a hurry, B.) the cart was free, and C.) I wouldn't still be waiting on other players on every shot? I have just as much chance of winning the lottery as having B and C line up.

BTW 90% is a high number. 90% of avid walkers would prefer to cart? And of those other 10%, 90% are lying? You could own the driving distance threads with that sort of positive attitude.

Riding because you are in a hurry only applies to playing as a single or 2some on an empty golf course. You can only go as fast as the golfers in front of you!   When it comes to walking OR NOT, the best time to opt for a cart is when the course is full and the play is slow.   IMO.......walking is the worst when standing around and waiting to hit every shot.

No....I'm not saying 90% are lying..........they just don't know how they'd respond because most golfers haven't come face to face with that option yet.   The majority of golfers don't own annual golf memberships with carts included, so how would they know?

I know 1 good indicator:

If you play a daily fee course on the weekend with mandatory carts and you pay the fee because it's included in the green fee...........and choose to walk anyway.  If you do this, you are one of the 10%.  I've personally never seen a player choose to walk these courses.....

Why do you always have to add these crazy disclaimers? I've turned down the offer to share a free cart many times over the years. No, I didn't pay for half a cart rental then walk instead, because I'm not an idiot. I made no contribution to the cart rental. If I was forced to pay for a service I didn't want, I'd take that service even if it was for no other reason than to prevent the club from making even more revenue on that cart off some other poor schmuck. I'd also make a point not to play there again so of course I wouldn't know what I'd do with a membership where carts were included in the fees, because I'd never purchase such a thing.

Things are different at my little course. I can count on 1 hand the number of players in our weekly league who routinely take a cart.  People seem to walk because they prefer it because our course is easy to walk (built in 1961). Or maybe they're "thrifty". Either way, the day they charge me for a cart, or any other service I don't want, is the day I cancel my membership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I ride somewhat and well the heat kind of has a hand in that. But I refuse to drive off the cart path even if its on the opposite side. I grab a few clubs and walk over to ball getting an idea of the slope and feel for the grass. The extra time walking across the fairway gets me into the shot. I for one dont like the ones who drive from ball to ball leaving a few inches to shoot from. Some days I think my playing partner is in the cart three times as much as I am. Sadly walking being limited more and more on the courses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by John Friedel

I ride somewhat and well the heat kind of has a hand in that. But I refuse to drive off the cart path even if its on the opposite side. I grab a few clubs and walk over to ball getting an idea of the slope and feel for the grass. The extra time walking across the fairway gets me into the shot. I for one dont like the ones who drive from ball to ball leaving a few inches to shoot from. Some days I think my playing partner is in the cart three times as much as I am. Sadly walking being limited more and more on the courses.

The downside to your method is that it tends to be a slower pace of play than if you walked all the way.  All that walking back and forth is a real time waster, and can actually add up to as much distance as if you didn't bother with the cart at all.  If I show up at a course and they have the cart path only rule in place, I don't play.  Courses which require carts, then also require that they stay on the path are simply not worth the bother for me.

What I try do is drive to my cart partner's ball, park the cart, then I'll grab a club or two and walk over to my ball while he plays, then I play and he picks me up.  Or if the spread between the balls is large, one of us gets out and picks his club, then other one drives to his ball, plays, then picks up his partner as he walks up the fairway.  This is proper card etiquette when the ball positions allow it, and by far the most efficient way to play cart golf.  Four golfers playing like that can leave a walking twosome in the dust.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have never had a pace of play issue. Its not like anyone really is going to walk to the ball from the teebox faster than the cart can drive. So I walk to the ball from there and my playing partner is either ahead or behind or across from my ball. It works for me and I can say pace of play has never been an issue. Wish I could find courses that allow walking all the time, but june, july,august really wouldnt matter with 112 degree temps.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by John Friedel

Have never had a pace of play issue. Its not like anyone really is going to walk to the ball from the teebox faster than the cart can drive. So I walk to the ball from there and my playing partner is either ahead or behind or across from my ball. It works for me and I can say pace of play has never been an issue. Wish I could find courses that allow walking all the time, but june, july,august really wouldnt matter with 112 degree temps.

Actually it is like that quite often. A fast walker taking a direct route on foot with their entire bag can be just as fast, if not faster, than someone playing paths only. I've seen it many times. It doesn't help when the person is playing paths only when it's not required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by JohnLund

Go ahead and ride I don't give a poop. However, don't call what you do a "sport" cuz it ain't. Yes, it is a game, the best one in fact. I am not saying I am better than those who don't walk I was merely defining what can be called sport. And yes, I do belief that golf is a purer form of sport when you walk it as it was designed to be played. I don't think you will change that by calling it bunk because that is your feeling. It is a fact. I am 67, have arthritis in my right foot (old football injury), and will walk until I can't then I will ride. I guess I wanted to open this thread up cuz I am headed south again to the California's Coachella Valley where it is difficult to find good affordable walking courses. I say that because I walk all summer up north and am fit, strong legs etc. and then lose that over the winter cuz they make me ride a GD cart everywhere including great courses like the Classic Club, Desert Willow, Eagle Falls, and so many others that could be walked easily enough but don't let you. It is a beautiful game and yes I know the rules better than most thank you. Enjoy the game...walking or riding...your choice.

I live in the Coachella Valley, and your right that it can be hard to find a place that allows walking. However, I Classic Club actually does allow it, as does Indian Canyons in Palm Springs. SilverRock in La Quinta also allows walkers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually it is like that quite often. A fast walker taking a direct route on foot with their entire bag can be just as fast, if not faster, than someone playing paths only. I've seen it many times. It doesn't help when the person is playing paths only when it's not required.

Sorry but two people who leave the tee box at the same time and have to travel 200 yards are not going to arrive at the same time, when one walks and one rides a cart. Over all walkers are faster than most cart riders. But that has a lot do with what takes place when the cart is parked and not playing ready golf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Note: This thread is 3269 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I have an answer written up, but I'll wait a little bit to post it. Go ahead, keep arguing. But stop changing your votes, please. Your vote is your vote. If you're wrong, let the vote show it.
    • Has anyone tried to rough up the surface of their grips to make them tacky again?  or what is a time tested solution - besides replacing them of course.
    • Thank you for that!  Always wondered what those were called..good topic.  I finally got out to the range after almost 6 years and surprisingly hit my irons decent.  I have also decided to put a few irons away.  thinking of replacing the stronger lofted with my hybrids and going down to the 6i and down.  
    • Exactly! That loft number is all you need. The fact that one OEM calls it an Approach Wedge and another calls it a Gap Wedge is irrelevant. For me, I need a 50 degree wedge; then I know what to do with it. OEM’s are in business to sell golf clubs, period. If you think they have some altruistic motives as well, you have probably drunk the koolaid.
    • Here is the overseed schedule if you're looking for more courses... https://snga.org/2021-overseed-schedule/  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. AmirReza
      AmirReza
      (34 years old)
    2. BushwoodCC
      BushwoodCC
      (55 years old)
    3. cozelos
      cozelos
      (36 years old)
    4. RollingStoppie
      RollingStoppie
      (52 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...