IGNORED

Walking or Cart???

Ty Haegs
Note: This thread is 4180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you always walk, get a cart, or both

• I am a walker
    • Give me a cart
    • I enjoy both

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I ride because most days that's all I have time to do. The only time I can walk is on weekends. People make the choice for a variety of reasons. I don't assume riders are avoiding exercise any more than I assume walkers are golf elitists. Honestly I don't care how people play the game as long as it doesn't interfere with how I play it. When I ride I make an attempt to play with other riders and vice versa when I walk. The goal being everyone in the group maintains a similar pace. Even with strangers I try to be part of the group.

While I carry all the time, we are of the same mindset. In fact, my bud and I would rather get paired with a guy or two in a cart than many walkers who really shouldn't be walking. We are low handicappers, high handicappers walking only serve to slow us down in many instances.. And unlike most guys taking the cart, many of these walkers take everything so seriously even though their games don't warrant it; they are posers. Give me the guy racing from bad shot to bad shot in a cart making jokes any time over the out of shape guy who needs to move faster but whose ego won't allow him to ride.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

You are cheating yourself on some great exercise if you don't walk. Take a pull cart if you insist on a full set of clubs in a big bag. Carts are fine for extremely hot, humid days, handicapped people, or for those courses designed with real estate in mind - the ones where the next tee is 1/2 mile away. Personally, even though my membership does not charge me for carts, I will always walk until I get too old to walk. Then I'll take a cart!

If golf....whether walking or not is what you do for "exercise", you're cheating yourself. Golf to golf. If you want/need to exercise, run, bike, swim, kick box, et.al.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by timabe

I walk any chance I get simply because I play better when I am walking.  Walking 18 on a course designed properly is one of the sublime pleasures of this game.  Those who rarely (or never) walk will have no idea what I am talking about, and those who do don't need an explanation from me.  Suffice to say that when I am forced to ride (too often for my taste) golf is less pleasurable.

Exactly! Well put.

I have been thinking about this a lot so I am glad that I came across this thread, I hate carts.  That's not golf.  It's not a sport.  Part of the adventure of golf is walking to your ball, whether its in the trees hiking through the rough, or the proud walk in the fairway.  Professionals don't use a cart, because they are playing a sport not fiddlefarting around in little go carts.  Someone's quote on here is something like, "happiness is a long walk with a putter in your hands."

It never looks more ridiculous to me, and I am never more embarrassed of my hobby than when I see a foursome with four carts driving around.  To me it just seems like a circlejerk of faux elitists, and a group that I am proud not to be a part of.  I walk.  I play golf.  Get off your butt and do work.

I almost always prefer walking with my bag on a pull cart. It helps my rhythm, gives me time to look at the course as I approach my ball from behind and think about my next shot.  And it is one of the pleasant parts of golf that can be missed when you rush around from shot to shot in a cart. In addition, the exercise is good for me.

That said, there are some courses in my area that make walking most unpleasant due to layout, steep paths or excessively long distances between holes.

As for speed of play, I've seen cart riders both fast and slow. It seems that the more skillled the golfers, the faster they are in a cart.

I rarely get played thru by a golfer(s) in a cart.

DD

In the Bag

Driver - Taylormade R1 Black

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 15* 3-Metal

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 18* 5-Metal

Irons - Ping G15 4i-UW

Wedge - Ping Anser 54* SW

Wedge - Ping Tour-S 60* LW

Putter - Ping Anser 4

Ball - Top Flight D2+ Feel

Rangefinder - Callaway/Nikon LR550

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Since February of this year I've played about 25 rounds (18holes). Not as many as I would have liked, but due to finances and other commitments I'm glad for what I've done. My scores have gone from the high 90's to the mid to high 80's and are getting better, thanks to suggestions from this site and PRACTICE.... In all the times I've played there has been only 1 time a guy I played with walked as well. I've never seen anyone at my home course walk. IMO I think if people see carts then they think they have to ride. Granted, the 3 pull carts my home course offers to use look like they got pulled out of a dumpster. Back in June when the weather started getting into the high 90's with high humidity I went out one morning, tee'd off about 6:45am and by the time I was on the 6th tee I had to sit down for a bit. It was already sooooo hot and humid. That's when I decided, for the safety of my health I'd start riding. Now that the weather is cooling off, I've started walking again. My home course is not very long, 6210 yds. That's a little over 3 miles, as the crow flies. It's great exercise since there are a few nice hills to get the blood pumping. I said it before, carts just make me feel rushed. Every time I've played with anyone who was in a cart and I was walking, I had to wait on them.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

I have been thinking about this a lot so I am glad that I came across this thread, I hate carts.  That's not golf.  It's not a sport.  Part of the adventure of golf is walking to your ball, whether its in the trees hiking through the rough, or the proud walk in the fairway.  Professionals don't use a cart, because they are playing a sport not fiddlefarting around in little go carts.  Someone's quote on here is something like, "happiness is a long walk with a putter in your hands."  It never looks more ridiculous to me, and I am never more embarrassed of my hobby than when I see a foursome with four carts driving around.  To me it just seems like a circlejerk of faux elitists, and a group that I am proud not to be a part of.  I walk.  I play golf.  Get off your butt and do work.

[quote name="Subaroo" url="/t/62105/what-is-the-most-annoying-guy-at-your-course-like/36#post_771529"]Because I am still a pretty lousy golf player I like to play alone rather than with strangers so I don't hold them up or annoy them....... [/quote] Perhaps you should work a little more on your game rather than worrying about being embarrassed by golfers, most of whom are MUCH more skilled than you who chose to ride rather than walk. Golf is golf. I walk if I can and if I want to. I ride if I must, or if I want to. But it's all golf.

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I did not say it is an endurance sport. I said it has an endurance aspect. Playing 18 holes at an average length course will put you over 5 miles of walking, especially when you consider that most golfers don't travel a straight line from tee to green, and add the distances between holes. Are you really contending that walking 5 miles with 30 lbs on your back, with constant lifting and putting down the bag, in 85 deg heat with humidity, does not contain any aspect of endurance???  BTW, I am a cyclist (road and mountain), and, I used to be an avid backpacker (I have done all of the AT in the northeast), and after walking 18 in the summer, I am totally whipped. But then, I am getting old too.

I am with you. I am an avid trail runner and heavy weight lifter. The only day I don't train is the day I play golf., because after carrying my bag for 18 holes, I'm spent.

Really?  Back when I was just a kid in my early 40's I could walk 36 holes on Saturday and 36 on Sunday (or only 18  when I had to work Saturday morning), walking and carrying, in midsummer in the thin air of Denver where the temps can climb over 100.  And that's while working 50-60 hour weeks as a machinist.  And no gym, no weights, no running.  Just work and golf and kayaking and hiking as my forms of exercise.

Now I ride, and amazingly, it's still golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Really?  Back when I was just a kid in my early 40's I could walk 36 holes on Saturday and 36 on Sunday (or only 18  when I had to work Saturday morning), walking and carrying, in midsummer in the thin air of Denver where the temps can climb over 100.  And that's while working 50-60 hour weeks as a machinist.  And no gym, no weights, no running.  Just work and golf and kayaking and hiking as my forms of exercise.

I like your style. I turned 41 this year, I work as a welder/fabricator, but I'm also a licensed plumber. Some of the best exercise I get is walking 18 after working all day on my feet, sometimes bent up in strange positions to weld up something. Temps here this year got up to around 106 with over 50% humidity.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Maybe that's why you have to ride now .

Dude, I'm 48 and could easily walk 54 holes carrying if I wanted to and beat up a twentysomething afterwards, but what's the point?

Spent is a relative/subjective term. The reason I don't work out after carrying is because I really exercise hard and couldn't do it justice.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Subaroo

I have been thinking about this a lot so I am glad that I came across this thread, I hate carts.  That's not golf.  It's not a sport.  Part of the adventure of golf is walking to your ball, whether its in the trees hiking through the rough, or the proud walk in the fairway.  Professionals don't use a cart, because they are playing a sport not fiddlefarting around in little go carts.  Someone's quote on here is something like, "happiness is a long walk with a putter in your hands."

It never looks more ridiculous to me, and I am never more embarrassed of my hobby than when I see a foursome with four carts driving around.  To me it just seems like a circlejerk of faux elitists, and a group that I am proud not to be a part of.  I walk.  I play golf.  Get off your butt and do work.

professionals also have a caddy that carries all of their shit around for them as well...why does it bother you if others ride instead of walking? seems like a petty thing to be worried about on a nice day of golfing. I ride because it's very hot (usually around 103 deg.) and very humid (usually close to 90%) during the summer months and it's just not enjoyable to walk 3-5 miles in that while carrying a set of clubs and sometimes a cooler..because I do like to enjoy a few brewskis from time to time while I play..and there isn't anything wrong with that.

at the end of the day golf is a sport and a hobby and can be treated as seriously or as casually as one perfers as long as it doesn't interfere with others or cause any problems on the course.

so I say, load the cooler and grab a cart boys...let's golf!...and yes, it's still golf..haha

It would be cool if someone looked at all these posts and compared the average handicap of walkers to that of riders. At the courses I play, I consistently see the players walking and the hackers riding. Obviously, there are exceptions to any rule, but wheen I join a threesome of fellow walkers I am rarely disappointed in their ability or pace.

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree driver

TM RBZ Tour 14.5 degree 3-wood

Adams a2 2-iron

Mizuno MP-59 3-PW

Mizuno MX-25 Gap

Callaway Forged Wedge 56 degree

YES! Putter

Originally Posted by timabe

It would be cool if someone looked at all these posts and compared the average handicap of walkers to that of riders. At the courses I play, I consistently see the players walking and the hackers riding. Obviously, there are exceptions to any rule, but wheen I join a threesome of fellow walkers I am rarely disappointed in their ability or pace.

This sounds like a good idea for an experiment; compare scores between walking 18 and riding. As far as walking, I realize some people would have difficultly having to carry their bag so that wouldn't be figured in, unless a person wants to try. Basically the experiment would be at least 2 rounds of 18; 1 walking and 1 riding, if you wanted to take it a step further, 1 riding, 1 walking with a push cart, and 1 walking while carrying your bag. I might have to try this. The last time I walked (with push cart) I played 9 at my home course (9holes only) and shot 2 over. I went to another course (9holes only) the next day, walked 9 (with push cart) and shot 4 over.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

The last time I walked (with push cart) I played 9 at my home course (9holes only) and shot 2 over. I went to another course (9holes only) the next day, walked 9 (with push cart) and shot 4 over.

Step one in the experiment would be to play a full round of golf though....... ;-)

In David's bag....

I asked the course manager at my home course if he usually saw people riding or walking the most. He replied with riding by a landslide. He said probably over 90% of people ride, that he only sees people walking every once in a great while. He also said that he nor any of his playing buddies (all low handicappers I'm sure) would never walk if the option to ride were there.

Really?  Back when I was just a kid in my early 40's I could walk 36 holes on Saturday and 36 on Sunday (or only 18  when I had to work Saturday morning), walking and carrying, in midsummer in the thin air of Denver where the temps can climb over 100.  And that's while working 50-60 hour weeks as a machinist.  And no gym, no weights, no running.  Just work and golf and kayaking and hiking as my forms of exercise.    Now I ride, and amazingly, it's still golf. :bugout:

I misread your thread at first, I thought you said when I was a kid in the 1940s. I used to hike/climb when I lived in Ft Collins. Colorado is a great place. I walk/carry when I can.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Could it be that for tournaments you need to walk, and that the more serious players are getting used to walking? I walk for exercise, so, I am an exception to this rule.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[VIDEO][/VIDEO][quote name="Lihu" url="/t/29544/walking-or-cart/108#post_775742"] Could it be that for tournaments you need to walk, and that the more serious players are getting used to walking? I walk for exercise, so, I am an exception to this rule.[/quote] I played 8-10 tournaments this past year and rode in every one.....

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 4180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!