IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Limpinswinger

So, you're saying that the hip slide is irreconcilable with the S&T; method?

That doesn't make any sense.

Every player slides his hips forward, some start just before the end of the backswing.

Weight distribution is still roughly 50/50 in S&T; at the top of the backswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah, no matter what they say ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

That doesn't make any sense.

Every player slides his hips forward, some start just before the end of the backswing.

I was responding to an answer to a question in my original post, that didn't make sense to me.  I don't know if you saw my original post.  Here's it is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limpinswinger View Post

My first post.  I'm enjoying this site.  Lot's of interesting info posted by genuine enthusiasts.  I'm getting back in to golf after many years.  I'm fascinated by the S&T; concept, especially when seeing elements of that concept being used by some of the great players of the past.  My question is, how does sliding the hip toward the target reconcile with S&T; where the weight is already beginning to transfer toward the target at the top of the swing?  It seems to me that S&T; causes you to "blow your wad" so to speak, leaving little ability to further slide the hip toward the target in the downswing.

Thanks!

Here's the answer that I got that didn't make sense to me:

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

^^^ ED problem?  lol...JK!

from the top of the backswing, the weight should be moving to the left side.  pushing your weight towards the target for a longer period than most are accustomed to will allow you to deliver the club from the inside, and will shallow out your path. just because you begin to push forward from the top doesnt mean you should keep pushing through the downswing before turning.

• Administrator

I was responding to an answer to a question in my original post, that didn't make sense to me.  I don't know if you saw my original post.  Here's it is:

I saw it. The hip slide is a part of just about ever functional golf swing, S&T; included.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I saw it. The hip slide is a part of just about ever functional golf swing, S&T; included.

So, the question becomes, how far the should the hip slide in the downswing?  My question arises out of my understanding that part of the S&T; method involves balancing weight in favor of the lead foot at address, transferring more weight to the lead foot in the backswing, and continue transferring weight to the lead foot in the downswing.  If weight has already transferred to the lead foot at address and in the backswing, it seems to me that there is little ability remaining to slide the hip - in the same direction - in the downswing.

So, the question becomes, how far the should the hip slide in the downswing?  My question arises out of my understanding that part of the S&T; method involves balancing weight in favor of the lead foot at address, transferring more weight to the lead foot in the backswing, and continue transferring weight to the lead foot in the downswing.  If weight has already transferred to the lead foot at address and in the backswing, it seems to me that there is little ability remaining to slide the hip - in the same direction - in the downswing.

Like Erik said weight is 50/50 not forward, even though they say it's forward, it's more of a feel than reality.  Hips go forward 4-6 inches, depending on player.  Also like Erik said, it's part of a functional golf swing.

Lee Westwood hip slide.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

My first post.  I'm enjoying this site.  Lot's of interesting info posted by genuine enthusiasts.  I'm getting back in to golf after many years.  I'm fascinated by the S&T; concept, especially when seeing elements of that concept being used by some of the great players of the past.  My question is, how does sliding the hip toward the target reconcile with S&T; where the weight is already beginning to transfer toward the target at the top of the swing?  It seems to me that S&T; causes you to "blow your wad" so to speak, leaving little ability to further slide the hip toward the target in the downswing.

Thanks!

Here's the answer that I got that didn't make sense to me:

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

^^^ ED problem?  lol...JK!

from the top of the backswing, the weight should be moving to the left side.  pushing your weight towards the target for a longer period than most are accustomed to will allow you to deliver the club from the inside, and will shallow out your path.  just because you begin to push forward from the top doesnt mean you should keep pushing through the downswing before turning.

i apologize, it should have said:

just because you begin to push forward from the top doesnt mean you shouldnt keep pushing through the downswing before turning.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Like Erik said weight is 50/50 not forward, even though they say it's forward, it's more of a feel than reality.  Hips go forward 4-6 inches, depending on player.  Also like Erik said, it's part of a functional golf swing.

Thanks, mvmac!  Is Westwood's swing considered a S&T; swing?

Originally Posted by colin007

i apologize, it should have said:

just because you begin to push forward from the top doesnt mean you shouldnt keep pushing through the downswing before turning.

That's what I thought you meant, but, I wasn't sure.  Thanks!  I've got some practice range work to do.  I'm excited to see how these new concepts (to me), affect my ball striking and swing.  Last week, I was on the range for the first time in many years.  I was pleasantly surprised that I could still hit the ball fairly well.

Thanks, mvmac!  Is Westwood's swing considered a S&T; swing?

Depends on what your definition of S&T; is.  Yes, because every good swing has S&T; components.  No, because he's never worked with Andy and Mike and doesn't do the pieces to the extent or at the rates Andy and Mike would prefer.  Definitely achieves all 5 Keys ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Ballcontact and then ball flight shows you the answer.

if you cant do that no concept will help you.

Make solid contact, and hit good shot, your then highly likely to do things right.

People confuse themselves more than anything.

Robert Something

Originally Posted by soon_tourpro

Make solid contact, and hit good shot, your then highly likely to do things right.

What?

So in order for me to swing correctly, I should make good contact?

Brandon

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I don't know, i have hit the center of the clubface, hit the ball first, and had the ball do alot of strange things..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 4 weeks later...

When I first saw this thread, I understood hip slide to mean a lateral slide with the left hip moving toward the target.  However, now that I have the S&T; book, I see that it talks about moving the hip and also advises to tuck the butt.  Taken together, it seems that the hip slide is not just a lateral slide.  It is a simultanious lateral slide and hip rotation toward the target.  Any thoughts?

When I first saw this thread, I understood hip slide to mean a lateral slide with the left hip moving toward the target.  However, now that I have the S&T; book, I see that it talks about moving the hip and also advises to tuck the butt.  Taken together, it seems that the hip slide is not just a lateral slide.  It is a simultanious lateral slide and hip rotation toward the target.  Any thoughts?

I don't know ANYTHING about S&T; (nor much about the golf swing in general, for that matter).  However, after working on this for the last 3-4 months, what my own personal, anecdotal experience has been exactly this: near simultaneous slide and rotation around the left leg.  Interested in hearing feed back on this as well.  It has been working for me.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bplewis24

However, after working on this for the last 3-4 months, what my own personal, anecdotal experience has been exactly this: near simultaneous slide and rotation around the left leg.  Interested in hearing feed back on this as well.  It has been working for me.

We call it "linear along the circle."

Yes, it's slide and rotation. Most people do enough rotation and need more slide.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I don't know ANYTHING about S&T; (nor much about the golf swing in general, for that matter).  However, after working on this for the last 3-4 months, what my own personal, anecdotal experience has been exactly this: near simultaneous slide and rotation around the left leg.  Interested in hearing feed back on this as well.  It has been working for me.

Brandon

You should get the book.  After a few introductory assurances, it's all meat and potatos, no fluff.