IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

I've read through about half of this thread and it's great information. I'm fortunate to have found stuff like this while just starting out so I can develop good habits. After watching myself swing in video... I felt something looked off. I would be rotating on both my front and back equally. No lateral movement. I finally saw it when comparing to pictures and videos of pros. Which led me here!

I understand the feeling and rhythm I need at the top of back swing. Where I feel as if I sink and drive my hips forward. I'm starting to get it but really want to understand the timing of the different alignment angles at different points during downswing. It just helps for me to visual the different angles of each major body part during each section of the swing and the most efficient, fluid way to move through each.

A4. Top of Backswing: This is when the hip drive begins. I think of it as a quick one-two count at the top, one as the final movement of the backswing, and two is the feeling of loading weight down over left foot, readying the slide.

A5: From all the pictures I see, you want your hips shifted laterally over the front foot AND the hips to be square at this position. However, when you start driving your hips laterally... there are two options to get to this position. 1. You can keep your hip angle closed and shift. I saw a video in this thread that depicted a wall behind you. To take that image, at A4, your back right pocket will be against the wall but not your left (i.e. closed). You can shift laterally while keeping your back right pocket on this wall and keeping your left pocket off. However, this feels a bit awkward (and exaggerated perhaps). It is difficult to then, after this lateral movement, rotate your hips square, with your left back pocket on the wall. You could instead: 2. Slide hips laterally WHILE squaring your hips. Not a rotation. Simply synchronizing the lateral shift of the hips and the squaring of your hips (both back pockets against wall)... to avoid the awkward cocked feeling when you laterally shift your hips but leave the closed angle. I feel as if the second option feels more natural, but I am only a beginner so want to make sure.

Also, to confirm, if that truly is the correct A5 position, then once hips are shifted and square, I would want my arms to be parallel with the front, wrists still cocked.

A6: With your weight loaded laterally over your left foot, which remains bent, you can now drive your right shoulder down. right knee forward towards left toe. I suppose the motion of your shoulder and right leg are the very beginnings of rotation, so hips are ever so slightly open. Additionally, right elbow stays tucked and wrists still cocked (if you are moving hips, shoulders, and hands ahead of the club, that lag should remain without trying).

A7: Impact. A continuation of A6, further rotation here. It was mentioned right knee moving towards left toe. Would it be correct to say that your right hip and right shoulder could feel to be moving in that direction? For instance, I saw a video where it was mentioned to imagine a clubface on your right shoulder (toe up) and you should imagine it hitting the ball squarely. I suppose the hip is starting to drive towards the target (i.e. pin) here. Additionally, the left arm is aligned with your torso and left leg, and since weight is shifted forward, that means in front of the ball (as are hands). Head stays BACK. So there is a slight arch from left foot through left leg through torso to head.

A8: Rotate through impact. Is this where the true rotation occurs? Do you keep right shoulder down (and head still) as long as possible while you continue to rotate hips? At what point do you allow yourself to start standing up and forward? Also, when do you release your hands and have right go over left? When at 45 degrees?

The hips transfer forward as they rotate.  Most players have to feel more slide and less turn.  I would suggest not getting too caught in some of the details right now and focus on these feels.  If you focus and spend time doing these drills, the stuff you mention with rotation, lag, movement of the right shoulder will improve.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I am not going to get to much better. Excellent advice and video and analysis. Have really tried to soak up all of this thread as I could. But I don't uncoil like I used to when I was young. Here is my compensation....I raise my left heel on my backswing allowing me to coil up better. My left foot is slightly behind my right. (I have hips open cause I know the ball is going to go right if I don't based on my set up) I close the club face. I barely turn my wrists over on downswing (cause I closed the club face so much) and I slam my left heel down on downswing. When I slam that heel down I have effectively started that Hip Bump. I cant make my hip go toward the hole on my own. I use the heel to do the job my body just cannot seem to do or remember to do or maybe wont do just out of spite. My ex wife (Satan's sister) may have even put a curse on me. Whatever the cause this is the only way I can hit straight. I would greatly appreciate a response from you guys who actually know how to golf correctly!! Thanks.

I guess I am not going to get to much better. Excellent advice and video and analysis. Have really tried to soak up all of this thread as I could. But I don't uncoil like I used to when I was young. Here is my compensation....I raise my left heel on my backswing allowing me to coil up better. My left foot is slightly behind my right. (I have hips open cause I know the ball is going to go right if I don't based on my set up) I close the club face. I barely turn my wrists over on downswing (cause I closed the club face so much) and I slam my left heel down on downswing. When I slam that heel down I have effectively started that Hip Bump. I cant make my hip go toward the hole on my own. I use the heel to do the job my body just cannot seem to do or remember to do or maybe wont do just out of spite. My ex wife (Satan's sister) may have even put a curse on me. Whatever the cause this is the only way I can hit straight. I would greatly appreciate a response from you guys who actually know how to golf correctly!! Thanks.

Forget all this crap!!!! I swung properly for the first time today. Listen to everyone else on the forum! !!!!! They know how to golf.

Forget all this crap!!!!

I swung properly for the first time today.

Listen to everyone else on the forum! !!!!! They know how to golf.

What a difference a day makes, huh?

Mike McLoughlin

Great read and interesting thread.  The origin of this thread dates back to 2009.  How has the teaching in golf changed now from then?  The swing keys pro's use seem to change and evolve.  For a while, several pro's were limiting hip turn on the back swing to generate more coil power.  Now, I'm noticing more pro's with level shoulders at the completion of their through swing.  Add to that more bend at the knees and waist at address.  Is the hip slide to the "wall" still common practice?  Additionally, is too much slide to the left the culprit of "getting ahead of the ball"?  Thanks

Driver :tmade: R1

Fairwaywood :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2 15*

Hybrids :ping: i15 20* and 23* Hybrids

Irons :mizuno: MP64 4 - PW

Wedges :edel: 54* and 58* 

Putter :edel: 

Golf Ball :titleist: Pro V1 

Great read and interesting thread.  The origin of this thread dates back to 2009.  How has the teaching in golf changed now from then?  The swing keys pro's use seem to change and evolve.  For a while, several pro's were limiting hip turn on the back swing to generate more coil power.  Now, I'm noticing more pro's with level shoulders at the completion of their through swing.  Add to that more bend at the knees and waist at address.  Is the hip slide to the "wall" still common practice?  Additionally, is too much slide to the left the culprit of "getting ahead of the ball"?  Thanks

I beleive getting ahead of the ball comes from turning the hips too fast or swinging arms to slow. I don't think slide is the right word for this move but it's more a weight transfer.

• Administrator

For a while, several pro's were limiting hip turn on the back swing to generate more coil power.

It's important to note that what pros feel they're trying to do, or say they do, or say they're trying to do, is often different from what they've actually done.

Additionally, is too much slide to the left the culprit of "getting ahead of the ball"?  Thanks

If your head stays relatively steady you're not going to get "ahead of the ball."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The importance of the hips transferring forward hasn't changed, it's just called Key #2 now :-) It's what the best players have done and continue to do.

If your head stays relatively steady you're not going to get "ahead of the ball."

Yeah moving the head or chest too far forward would be "getting ahead of it".  Every golfer in the hall of fame slides their hips/has their weight forward at impact.  Not that we necessarily needed to verify this but Erik and I spent the day with a world renowned golf biomechanist who showed us his 3D data and obviously confirmed that better players have the hips forward and head steady while the high handicap players doesn't.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

What an eye opener. Now that I'm sorta learning all over again, mvmac and iacas have provided some really great info. I can see now why I was hitting those dreaded hooks. may sound corny, but thanks to both of you... :beer:

Greg

What an eye opener. Now that I'm sorta learning all over again, mvmac and iacas have provided some really great info. I can see now why I was hitting those dreaded hooks. may sound corny, but thanks to both of you...

Greg

Our pleasure :-)

Mike McLoughlin

This topic seems to very relevant to a lot of handicap golfers.

Good content. however I dont like the topic title.

There's no secrets in golf.

"any secrets"its seems like a way to sell an idea or a product

This topic seems to very relevant to a lot of handicap golfers.

Good content. however I dont like the topic title.

There's no secrets in golf.

"any secrets"its seems like a way to sell an idea or a product

33 pages and nearly 600 posts of FREE INFORMATION here, in this thread alone. Nobody's tried to sell you squat.

Just saying'...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

fair enough, it my opinion that too many golfers try to buy a golf swing.

most time players get better by owning their  golf swing and just tweek it when things change

i think pga teeaching pros should serve better by modifying whatever swing the player has rather than pushing their own beliefs about how a swing should be

most time players get better by owning their  golf swing and just tweek it when things change

i think pga teeaching pros should serve better by modifying whatever swing the player has rather than pushing their own beliefs about how a swing should be

And in the case of this thread, and with 5 Simple Keys program, that is exactly what they do.  I attended one of their full day instruction courses and learned a lot of information.  They didn't try to teach me or anyone else there how to do "their swing".  They simple pointed out flaws in our own swings and took action to correct it.  I have been a much better golf since attending the instruction and still feel like I am mostly my own swing, just enhanced and improved.

Some PGA Pros may do that, but we can't lump them all into one bucket.

• Upvote 1

Jeff

Like Slover said, that's what we do but we also understand there are certain things great players do.  You won't find a player in the HOF that doesn't have the hips transfer forward on the downswing.  Can't do much modifying or tweaking if the golfer has their weight 50/50 at impact.  Got to attend to the priority piece.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Excellent thread! Currently i'm a 22hcp with a slice as my bad shot and this thread has changed my shot shape to a draw, perfect, I'm now in-to-out. Been reading this for the last two weeks and practicing down the range, I started by keeping my head totally still on BS and then letting my whole body fall forward (feeling of lifting left foot), head was way too far fwd at impact. Then I tried keeping my head back but found it difficult to separate my hips from my head, so was not actually shifting the weight.

My (possibly very incorrect) solution: preset the hip/head differential in the BS so that when i 'fall' forward, at impact my hips are forward and my head is where it started i.e. behind the ball.

Someone said, way back in the thread, that it wasn't a problem having the head move away from target in BS, so long as the hips don't sway with it. Is that the case or is it important to keep both my head and hips from swaying back on BS, and if so, why and how can i learn to keep my head from swaying forward with my hips?