IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

I have a question about the hip slide. So I was at the range working on this today and I was taking the club to the top pausing then starting my downswing by sliding my hips.  Is it normal to feel like the club is laying down when you slide your hip? Thats what I was feeling and  I wasn't sure if I should be feeling this or fighting it?  I can take a video from DTL the next time I go to the range to see if what Im feeling is actually happening I just wanted to make sure Im not doing something wrong.

Yes that is typically a normal reaction, for you it's definitely a good thing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow took me a week to read this whole thread.. I'm 58 yrs old and have tried everything in the book but so far the hip slide has worked somewhat for me. I read the S&t; book had a little success with it but wasn't enough to get my game to what I wanted it to be. That being said I've been trying the hip slide and getting good results. The thing is now that I've seen some S&T; videos on this thread I understand it better now, and I will be off to the S&T; forum from here.

Thanks a bunch guys it's been an eye opener...

From an old canadian Cheers :beer:

Very interesting thread. I have made quite a few swing changes recently so I'm going to let those settle in before trying to move my hips as described but I'm encouraged by some of the positive comments from those that have tried to incorporate this movement in to their swing.

:tmade: SLDR Driver 9.5* (Loft Down!:-P) :ping: i20 3 Wood 15* :tmade: Jetspeed 3 Hybrid 19* :tmade: Jetspeed 4 Hybrid 22* :mizuno: JPX-EZ Forged 5 - GW SCOR SW & LW :ping: O-Blade putter

There HAS to be a LITTLE sway before the rotation.  You shouldn't draw a line where the left hip is on the backswing in the videos.  You should mark the left hip at address.  Then it will appear to be a rotation move.

For me, personally... If I feel like a stay behind the ball, my hips will rotate naturally without trying to spin them around.

Too much hip slide will create pushes and flip hooks for me.

You should mark the left hip at address.  Then it will appear to be a rotation move.

Disagree

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkNballs

You should mark the left hip at address.  Then it will appear to be a rotation move.

Disagree

Sure looks like sliding/pushing to me.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

There HAS to be a LITTLE sway before the rotation.  You shouldn't draw a line where the left hip is on the backswing in the videos.  You should mark the left hip at address.  Then it will appear to be a rotation move.

For me, personally... If I feel like a stay behind the ball, my hips will rotate naturally without trying to spin them around.

Too much hip slide will create pushes and flip hooks for me.

Is the feel what you are actually doing? Feel isn't usually real in the golf swing. A lot of times the proper move in the golf swing feels totally opposite of what we need to do. This is why video/photo evidence of a person's golf swing is important (as mike as shown in his post, proving there is a lateral move in the hips).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I stand corrected.  Those guys don't have very good swings anyway!  Who are Hogan, Woods and Rory?  hahahaha

Those pics definitely show some slide.  You are correct, sir.  Not as much as when you put a line on their left hip at the top of the back swing, but still quite a bit of slide.

How much slide is too much then?  I'm confused.  My teacher would put a pole about 4" away from my left hip at address and tell me not to hit it on the downswing.  So a 4" slide is about right?

Is the feel what you are actually doing? Feel isn't usually real in the golf swing. A lot of times the proper move in the golf swing feels totally opposite of what we need to do. This is why video/photo evidence of a person's golf swing is important (as mike as shown in his post, proving there is a lateral move in the hips).

You are absolutely correct.  Feel and real are totally different.  I've learned that first hand!

What I find amazing is how Jamie Sadlowski doesn't slide his hips really at all. He does however release his pelvis from its forward flexed position to an extended position as he rotates.

Obviously just because a few guys don't do it doesn't prove much of anything, but it's still interesting to note.

He tips his head back to create axis tilt, so that's probably why there's almost no sliding.

Bubba Watson basically does the same thing:

Constantine

What I find amazing is how Jamie Sadlowski doesn't slide his hips really at all. He does however release his pelvis from its forward flexed position to an extended position as he rotates.

Obviously just because a few guys don't do it doesn't prove much of anything, but it's still interesting to note.

He tips his head back to create axis tilt, so that's probably why there's almost no sliding.

Bubba Watson basically does the same thing:

It is on a tee though. Ever seen Jamie hit irons off the deck? Curious as to whether he alters his technique.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

It is on a tee though. Ever seen Jamie hit irons off the deck? Curious as to whether he alters his technique.

Yea, he slides when it's on the ground. Long iron:

Camera's moving a bit on this above pic, but it's close enough to show slide.

Constantine

I stand corrected.  Those guys don't have very good swings anyway!  Who are Hogan, Woods and Rory?  hahahaha

Those pics definitely show some slide.  You are correct, sir.  Not as much as when you put a line on their left hip at the top of the back swing, but still quite a bit of slide.

How much slide is too much then?  I'm confused.  My teacher would put a pole about 4" away from my left hip at address and tell me not to hit it on the downswing.  So a 4" slide is about right?

Correct the hips transfer about 4-6 inches. For some reason, probably Hogan's book, the hip slide became a bad thing for golfers. Too many instructors teach based on what great players felt they did rather than observing what actually happened.

A measurement I like to use is that the lead lead is flexed outside the left ankle at A5.5/A6 (club shaft parallel to the ground on the backswing).

I think you'll find it similar with Bubba as well. With the driver, since the ball is teed up and we're trying to have a positive AoA (especially Bubba and Jamie) you'll see less slide and more emphasis on "jumping" off the ground. He's still "loads" into his lead leg.

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I think you'll find it similar with Bubba as well. With the driver, since the ball is teed up and we're trying to have a positive AoA (especially Bubba and Jamie) you'll see less slide and more emphasis on "jumping" off the ground. He's still "loads" into his lead leg.

Yea, this was my exact thought as well.

Constantine

I'm definitely not going to take any tips from Bubba's swing.  My body would break in half.  ;)

A similar point I hear is that you should post up on your lead leg.  I had an instructor tell me I should "lock" my left leg on the downswing.  It makes me feel like I have a Reggie Jackson swing when I do.  Almost a lean back and swing for the fences type of feel.

I think it's a little different with a tee.  It seems tough to slide and swing up slightly at the ball.  I would think you want to hang back a bit.  I always think about my head staying behind the ball and it usually puts me in good position.  I can only think of one body part at a time!  ha!  ;)

A similar point I hear is that you should post up on your lead leg.  I had an instructor tell me I should "lock" my left leg on the downswing.  It makes me feel like I have a Reggie Jackson swing when I do.  Almost a lean back and swing for the fences type of feel.

Into the followthrough, sure, it's part of the "thrust". Most golfers don't flex the lead knee enough though.

I think it's a little different with a tee.  It seems tough to slide and swing up slightly at the ball.  I would think you want to hang back a bit.  I always think about my head staying behind the ball and it usually puts me in good position.  I can only think of one body part at a time!  ha!  ;)

Just be careful with that, the "hang back" look is being created by the legs extending and the pelvis pushing up and forward, what the video above gets into.

Mike McLoughlin

I was just pointing out exceptions. Most good players still slide with driver.

Rory and Garrigus also bomb it:

Constantine