IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

Hopefully won't get into trouble for bumping an older thread but this is awesome.

I'm working on hipslide, infact I'm obsessed with hipslide. I'm a s&t player so the hipslide is key part of the process for me at the moment.

Any of you high HC players onto any feelings that help you get this down? 

Finding it so hard to nail. I'm a feeling player and the info the coach has given me all makes total sense but unless I can get a feeling to work towards its hit and miss. 

Cheers. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Peter_b said:

do the hipslide by attacking with right shoulder, some find it easier. Try it it also presses the hip away just passively. 

When you say with the right shoulder you mean staying connected with the hips though? Not rotating the uper body 1st right?

I really struggle with the legs / knees doing what they're supposed to.

I had a hard time doing the hip thing. What happened was starting the swing with the arms. Now I start my swing by literally attacking with my right shoulder to the ball and just ignoring the club, hands, arms. The effect is, the hip is pushed out of the way, it just has to anatomically, the right elbow comes in before the body and you get in a position where you can give it smack with the right side. 

So yes for me it is a start with the upper body the thing that is said to be a nono. 

Its really just an approach from the other side to clear the hips. Worth a try. I love it.

1 hour ago, Peter_b said:

I had a hard time doing the hip thing. What happened was starting the swing with the arms. Now I start my swing by literally attacking with my right shoulder to the ball and just ignoring the club, hands, arms. The effect is, the hip is pushed out of the way, it just has to anatomically, the right elbow comes in before the body and you get in a position where you can give it smack with the right side. 

So yes for me it is a start with the upper body the thing that is said to be a nono. 

Its really just an approach from the other side to clear the hips. Worth a try. I love it.

Interesting swing feel. I too have been working on starting the downswing with just my torso and shoulders turning. If my arms start the downswing, they can get ahead of the torso and the club head gets ahead of my hands.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah completely different feel and the arms start definitely after hips and torso. From there if you exchange picking up the ball from turf/ hit it thin, with compression then it gets interesting and the feel changes even more.

I found  that I was making better contact  when I started my downswing with my arms.   BUT, on further review, and after watching a video of myself, I found the reason.   And the reason was, I  was ending my backswing by raising my arms.   I was becoming disconnected at the top of the back swing.   Thus, by starting my down swing with my arms, I was just getting re-connected and putting myself back into the position I should have been in at the top of my down swing. 

Now, I am going to work on not raising my arms at the top of the back swing.   Then, I will be able to follow the advice in the post that started this thread. 

Better yet, it's way past time for me to get some lessons from my local pro. 

• 1 month later...

So glad i found this post!!!!

From starting to get more into golf I have always suffered a horrible push/push slice shot pattern with my driver/woods and a push with my irons (Im sure i posted a few threads on here about it actually)

After working for years to eliminate this I had the ta-da moment a few years back where i was losing connection of my arms/torso on the back swing and leaving the club too far behind me on the downsing, ala, in to out path with an open face,....push slice city.

I worked tirelessly on my connection, until i found a feel like the triangle created at address is never broken throughout my backswing and downswing, thus returning the hands to impact directly under my chest and the club naturally lagging behind and releasing through the ball, push/push slice GONE (when i remember to maintain connection

All went well for some time, but then i started hooking the crap out of my driver/woods, and pulling my irons and no idea why, its plagued me on and off and ruined some great rounds, one drive i would cream it 270 straight draw, next id duck hook it straight left into the parking lot,

Seeing this thread has shown me im not sliding the hips far enough forward, and i dont do that because being a previous push slicer, the forward slide only exasperated it, so i began just rotating and leaving my weight on the back foot, (I used to be real good at getting the slide forwards)

After a range session of re-ingraining this feeling and maintainign the triangle connection which takes me alot of effort to do my ball striking has changed immensely, and i now know if i pull/hook it i didnt get enough slide and came OTT, and if i push/block it i had slide but lost connection,......I LOVE THIS GAME

thank you to all that contributed :)

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Well this is gold. If I only I knew this 15 years ago instead of right now

It’ll play a role but I don’t think it’s your priority.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

@iacas and Dave for years have used a similar image of the torso/hips transferring "downhill". Surfing or snowboarding downhill.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

In their demonstration (guy on the left) he moved his head along with his body quite a bit. The ‘hip bump’ has been done I believe because we’re told to get lead hip towards the target but keep head back. Hard to move upper body forward without moving your head.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

In their demonstration (guy on the left) he moved his head along with his body quite a bit. The ‘hip bump’ has been done I believe because we’re told to get lead hip towards the target but keep head back. Hard to move upper body forward without moving your head.

Yeah, so forgive my stupidity but if we do this the proper way described above the head does have to move forward in the downswing correct? 

52 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Yeah, so forgive my stupidity but if we do this the proper way described above the head does have to move forward in the downswing correct? 

I believe the computer image does it properly. People have too much emphasis (including me) on moving hip forward too much without any rotation. The guy’s head moved considerably more forward than the computer model’s did. Poor execution by the guy imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

Maybe, depends on the player. I think most good players have a little movement forward then it re-centers around impact. Remember the head is steady during the swing, not still. And it reacts to the movement of the body. Swing sequence if Tiger below is a great example.

Basically the idea is you want to transfer forward keeping the lead shoulder and hip lower in transition, like 4-5. Then you're in a great position to "push back" and properly create axis tilt at impact. Point is most good players have the upper center on top of the lower center in transition, they create the axis tilt late, not early.

Tiger 3-4.jpgTiger 5-7.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I believe the computer image does it properly. People have too much emphasis (including me) on moving hip forward too much without any rotation. The guy’s head moved considerably more forward than the computer model’s did. Poor execution by the guy imo.

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Maybe, depends on the player. I think most good players have a little movement forward then it re-centers around impact. Remember the head is steady during the swing, not still. And it reacts to the movement of the body. Swing sequence if Tiger below is a great example.

Basically the idea is you want to transfer forward keeping the lead shoulder and hip lower in transition, like 4-5. Then you're in a great position to "push back" and properly create axis tilt at impact. Point is most good players have the upper center on top of the lower center in transition, they create the axis tilt late, not early.

Tiger 3-4.jpgTiger 5-7.jpg

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. 

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Remember the head is steady during the swing, not still. 

I agree the excessive ‘bump’ is not the goal as represented by the guy. But I think his actual demonstration is incorrect. If we can accept his head as ‘steady’ it could cause some confusion. I don’t know how to mark the video but it clearly shows his head moving forward about 8” or more and staying there whereas the model’s head definitely fits the notion of ‘steady’ head. I don’t see many cases of tour swings that I’ve watched move their head near as much as he does in this video. I’m mainly asking because my Evolvr instructor is even telling me to ‘keep my head back’ as my weight shifts laterally. The computer model does this but the guy certainly does not. 

Not the best markup but I think it shows what I’m saying. Look at the treetop in the background. Isn’t his head movement excessively forward? Thanks @mvmac

3C68E694-727A-4877-9257-7ADB604AC5EE.jpeg

BC0FD2A5-C9F5-4CC6-933B-67A8E80F1AB3.jpeg

Edited by Vinsk

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I agree the excessive ‘bump’ is not the goal as represented by the guy. But I think his actual demonstration is incorrect. If we can accept his head as ‘steady’ it could cause some confusion. I don’t know how to mark the video but it clearly shows his head moving forward about 8” or more and staying there whereas the model’s head definitely fits the notion of ‘steady’ head. I don’t see many cases of tour swings that I’ve watched move their head near as much as he does in this video. I’m mainly asking because my Evolvr instructor is even telling me to ‘keep my head back’ as my weight shifts laterally. The computer model does this but the guy certainly does not. 

The model is an actual swing while the instructor is demonstrating an exaggerated drill. In a swing the dynamics change a bit and you're not going to get the same "look" as the drill.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread