IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

Interesting. Thank you. I definitely found myself starting to roll the clubface--in the manner he says NOT to do.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

• Administrator
I do feel like I'm fighting to keep the ball from going right though. As much as I try to slide the hips forward without spinning them open, the clubface feels like it is getting laid off on the downswing. The ballflight is not terrible...but I feel like I'm flipping a bit to avoid the big fade. Any suggestions?

Shoot some video... most people will not flip when pushing forward properly. It's almost not possible... Flipping is what you (most people) will do when they don't get forward enough.

You could be faking it. Try pre-setting a straighter right leg and a more bent left knee that's going to flex outside of your front foot. Once that left knee straightens, you can't really push forward anymore.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shoot some video... most people will not flip when pushing forward properly. It's almost not possible... Flipping is what you (most people) will do when they don't get forward enough.

OK, thanks for reply. I will try what you suggested. Also, I will not post again in 'Playing Tips' without swing video (so probably never again).

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

• Administrator
OK, thanks for reply. I will try what you suggested. Also, I will not post again in 'Playing Tips' without swing video (so probably never again).

Oh, it's fine to post without video, it's just tough to say. Feel isn't real, even for the best golfers. (Heck, that's half of my threads lately - pointing out that what golfers say they do isn't what they actually do.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
I disagree with how much they show Hogan's hips sliding back to start the swing (same for his shoulders), but that video clearly shows a huge lateral push forward.

I disagree with how much they show Hogan's hips sliding back to start the swing (same for his shoulders), but that video clearly shows a huge lateral push forward.

Lots of lateral movement of his hips in the downswing.

We can't see the dynamics that made those positions. IMO it is that of a hammer throw - counterbalance of the body and the club. Hogan's generation used heavy clubs and went so far as to tape the clubheads to make them even heavier. We may have lost this dynamic feel with modern lightweight clubs. If you look at the dynamics of amateurs throwing a club at a target they mimic tour pros at impact after only a few dozen attempts.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes...turning the hips without sliding them on the backswing is correct and proper. The downswing includes the sliding of the hips FORWARD to effectively "move" the circle we play on slightly forward and allow the golfer to hit out at the ball more. You should be sliding and extending to ALLOW the hips to keep turning/rotating into your finish. The rotation part is correct but it is not only rotation. Forward with extension enables the PROPER rotation in the proper sequence. If you only rotate without the forward expect to hit lots of pulls and cuts/slices.

How about if you only slide forward and do not rotate? When I check my swing on video I rotate back without sliding on the backswing. I then slide forward, but my hips are square to the target line at impact. When I try to slide and rotate through I hit big pushes and even shanks.

Video available: This is not quite up to date. I'm shorter and more upright now. A bit slower on the backswing as well. But the hip action is pretty much the same... I will post a new video when I get my new Casio high speed camera:) Thanks

What I Play:
Ping Rapture V1 9° stock UST stiff | Taylormade V-steel, 15° and 18°, UST Proforce V2 stiff | Mizuno MP-57 3-PW Project X 5.5 | Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52.08/58.12 | 35" Scotty Cameron Studio Select | Titleist Pro V1 | Leupold GX-1 Rangefinder

How about if you only slide forward and do not rotate? When I check my swing on video I rotate back without sliding on the backswing. I then slide forward, but my hips are square to the target line at impact. When I try to slide and rotate through I hit big pushes and even shanks.

You slide backwards and very little forward. You need to get the hips more forward on the downswing.

You also move the head and center of the body way back on the backswing, which makes it harder to get the weight forward on the downswing. On the backswing, you should keep the head and center of the body still laterally, not moving them back. On the downswing, the head stays still, laterally, and the hips push forward more. Don't think about rotation, it will come automatically when you push far enough. Don't confuse this with moving the hips faster forward. You want to push them forward all the way through the swing. The peak of the forward push will be reached just after impact, from there they rotate through to the finish. - Weight forward 55-45 at address - Keep the head and center of the body at the same position, not moving it backwards on the backswing - Push the hips as much forward as you can from the top of the backswing and through impact

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 1 month later...
I agree with everything you say but i have an opinion on hip slide:

This is correct, the hips should just rotate on the back swing and begin the sliding forward as close as you can to the end of the back swing, not after the downswing has started.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

Man I wish I'd found this thread sooner!

The right-knee-goes-to-left-toe thought works like a friggin' charm. I'm a 100% front of the circle hitter normally -- straight pulls or pull fades -- and as soon as I tried this out today I started hitting push draws and the occasional straight push, with a clear in-to-out divot pattern.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Yes, pros do have a hip slide, but it is different than what we think of as a hip slide. When they are turning their hips they are also sliding but not a huge amount. If you were to put a shaft straight up on their left outside heel they would not knock it over. They would probably bump it but they do not go very far past it. I had the problem of sliding too far until i did that drill. So, if you are sliding a big amount, it is not good, but if you are sliding because of a hip rotation than it is ok. The torso is where you get your power from. I really enjoyed the pictures!

DRIVER : VR Tour 9.5 Degree with Diamana Whiteboard Shaft
3 WOOD : SQ 15 Degree with Diamana Blueboard SHaft
5 WOOD : SQ 19 Degree Diamana Blueboard Shaft
IRONS : Victory Red TW Blades 3-PW
S. WEDGE : Victory Red 56 DegreeL. WEDGE : Victory Red 60 DegreePUTTER : Anser IIBALL : ONE TOUR

• Administrator
Yes, pros do have a hip slide, but it is different than what we think of as a hip slide. When they are turning their hips they are also sliding but not a huge amount. If you were to put a shaft straight up on their left outside heel they would not knock it over. They would probably bump it but they do not go very far past it. I had the problem of sliding too far until i did that drill. So, if you are sliding a big amount, it is not good, but if you are sliding because of a hip rotation than it is ok. The torso is where you get your power from. I really enjoyed the pictures!

No, many would actually push the shaft over. The left knee gets as far as a few inches outside of the left ankle.

The most forward that a good player tends to get is near to P6 - just before or, ideally, just after. From that point on the player will jump, which will tend to back the hips up just a bit or at least their apparently amount forward as the hips tend to be wider than they are thick. The best drawers of the ball would definitely push the shaft over. Those who fade the ball will often bump it but won't push it over completely.

Indeed, it is HOW the hips get there that counts.

Well, if you're going to play your irons all the way up off your left toe you better be going well forward into impact!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

i am having a hell of a time trying to get rid of my hip slide and get them to turn correctly.

im pretty sure my hip slide is a bit different that what u guys are talking about tho. it makes my back not happy.

Well, if you're going to play your irons all the way up off your left toe you better be going well forward into impact!

It's just a drill. Helps me to get into position to hit. Nothing else matters.