Jump to content

917 posts / 328967 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hopefully won't get into trouble for bumping an older thread but this is awesome.

I'm working on hipslide, infact I'm obsessed with hipslide. I'm a s&t player so the hipslide is key part of the process for me at the moment.

Any of you high HC players onto any feelings that help you get this down? 

Finding it so hard to nail. I'm a feeling player and the info the coach has given me all makes total sense but unless I can get a feeling to work towards its hit and miss. 

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

 do the hipslide by attacking with right shoulder, some find it easier. Try it it also presses the hip away just passively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peter_b said:

 do the hipslide by attacking with right shoulder, some find it easier. Try it it also presses the hip away just passively. 

When you say with the right shoulder you mean staying connected with the hips though? Not rotating the uper body 1st right?

I really struggle with the legs / knees doing what they're supposed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a hard time doing the hip thing. What happened was starting the swing with the arms. Now I start my swing by literally attacking with my right shoulder to the ball and just ignoring the club, hands, arms. The effect is, the hip is pushed out of the way, it just has to anatomically, the right elbow comes in before the body and you get in a position where you can give it smack with the right side. 

So yes for me it is a start with the upper body the thing that is said to be a nono. 

Its really just an approach from the other side to clear the hips. Worth a try. I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peter_b said:

I had a hard time doing the hip thing. What happened was starting the swing with the arms. Now I start my swing by literally attacking with my right shoulder to the ball and just ignoring the club, hands, arms. The effect is, the hip is pushed out of the way, it just has to anatomically, the right elbow comes in before the body and you get in a position where you can give it smack with the right side. 

So yes for me it is a start with the upper body the thing that is said to be a nono. 

Its really just an approach from the other side to clear the hips. Worth a try. I love it.

Interesting swing feel. I too have been working on starting the downswing with just my torso and shoulders turning. If my arms start the downswing, they can get ahead of the torso and the club head gets ahead of my hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah completely different feel and the arms start definitely after hips and torso. From there if you exchange picking up the ball from turf/ hit it thin, with compression then it gets interesting and the feel changes even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found  that I was making better contact  when I started my downswing with my arms.   BUT, on further review, and after watching a video of myself, I found the reason.   And the reason was, I  was ending my backswing by raising my arms.   I was becoming disconnected at the top of the back swing.   Thus, by starting my down swing with my arms, I was just getting re-connected and putting myself back into the position I should have been in at the top of my down swing. 

Now, I am going to work on not raising my arms at the top of the back swing.   Then, I will be able to follow the advice in the post that started this thread. 

Better yet, it's way past time for me to get some lessons from my local pro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So glad i found this post!!!!

 

From starting to get more into golf I have always suffered a horrible push/push slice shot pattern with my driver/woods and a push with my irons (Im sure i posted a few threads on here about it actually)

 

After working for years to eliminate this I had the ta-da moment a few years back where i was losing connection of my arms/torso on the back swing and leaving the club too far behind me on the downsing, ala, in to out path with an open face,....push slice city.

 

I worked tirelessly on my connection, until i found a feel like the triangle created at address is never broken throughout my backswing and downswing, thus returning the hands to impact directly under my chest and the club naturally lagging behind and releasing through the ball, push/push slice GONE (when i remember to maintain connection

 

All went well for some time, but then i started hooking the crap out of my driver/woods, and pulling my irons and no idea why, its plagued me on and off and ruined some great rounds, one drive i would cream it 270 straight draw, next id duck hook it straight left into the parking lot,

 

Seeing this thread has shown me im not sliding the hips far enough forward, and i dont do that because being a previous push slicer, the forward slide only exasperated it, so i began just rotating and leaving my weight on the back foot, (I used to be real good at getting the slide forwards)

 

After a range session of re-ingraining this feeling and maintainign the triangle connection which takes me alot of effort to do my ball striking has changed immensely, and i now know if i pull/hook it i didnt get enough slide and came OTT, and if i push/block it i had slide but lost connection,......I LOVE THIS GAME

 

thank you to all that contributed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Well this is gold. If I only I knew this 15 years ago instead of right now

It’ll play a role but I don’t think it’s your priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In their demonstration (guy on the left) he moved his head along with his body quite a bit. The ‘hip bump’ has been done I believe because we’re told to get lead hip towards the target but keep head back. Hard to move upper body forward without moving your head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

In their demonstration (guy on the left) he moved his head along with his body quite a bit. The ‘hip bump’ has been done I believe because we’re told to get lead hip towards the target but keep head back. Hard to move upper body forward without moving your head.

Yeah, so forgive my stupidity but if we do this the proper way described above the head does have to move forward in the downswing correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

Yeah, so forgive my stupidity but if we do this the proper way described above the head does have to move forward in the downswing correct? 

I believe the computer image does it properly. People have too much emphasis (including me) on moving hip forward too much without any rotation. The guy’s head moved considerably more forward than the computer model’s did. Poor execution by the guy imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

Yeah, so forgive my stupidity but if we do this the proper way described above the head does have to move forward in the downswing correct? 

Maybe, depends on the player. I think most good players have a little movement forward then it re-centers around impact. Remember the head is steady during the swing, not still. And it reacts to the movement of the body. Swing sequence if Tiger below is a great example.

Basically the idea is you want to transfer forward keeping the lead shoulder and hip lower in transition, like 4-5. Then you're in a great position to "push back" and properly create axis tilt at impact. Point is most good players have the upper center on top of the lower center in transition, they create the axis tilt late, not early.

Tiger 3-4.jpgTiger 5-7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I believe the computer image does it properly. People have too much emphasis (including me) on moving hip forward too much without any rotation. The guy’s head moved considerably more forward than the computer model’s did. Poor execution by the guy imo.

 

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Maybe, depends on the player. I think most good players have a little movement forward then it re-centers around impact. Remember the head is steady during the swing, not still. And it reacts to the movement of the body. Swing sequence if Tiger below is a great example.

Basically the idea is you want to transfer forward keeping the lead shoulder and hip lower in transition, like 4-5. Then you're in a great position to "push back" and properly create axis tilt at impact. Point is most good players have the upper center on top of the lower center in transition, they create the axis tilt late, not early.

Tiger 3-4.jpgTiger 5-7.jpg

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Remember the head is steady during the swing, not still. 

I agree the excessive ‘bump’ is not the goal as represented by the guy. But I think his actual demonstration is incorrect. If we can accept his head as ‘steady’ it could cause some confusion. I don’t know how to mark the video but it clearly shows his head moving forward about 8” or more and staying there whereas the model’s head definitely fits the notion of ‘steady’ head. I don’t see many cases of tour swings that I’ve watched move their head near as much as he does in this video. I’m mainly asking because my Evolvr instructor is even telling me to ‘keep my head back’ as my weight shifts laterally. The computer model does this but the guy certainly does not. 

 Not the best markup but I think it shows what I’m saying. Look at the treetop in the background. Isn’t his head movement excessively forward? Thanks @mvmac

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3C68E694-727A-4877-9257-7ADB604AC5EE.jpeg

BC0FD2A5-C9F5-4CC6-933B-67A8E80F1AB3.jpeg

Edited by Vinsk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I agree the excessive ‘bump’ is not the goal as represented by the guy. But I think his actual demonstration is incorrect. If we can accept his head as ‘steady’ it could cause some confusion. I don’t know how to mark the video but it clearly shows his head moving forward about 8” or more and staying there whereas the model’s head definitely fits the notion of ‘steady’ head. I don’t see many cases of tour swings that I’ve watched move their head near as much as he does in this video. I’m mainly asking because my Evolvr instructor is even telling me to ‘keep my head back’ as my weight shifts laterally. The computer model does this but the guy certainly does not. 

The model is an actual swing while the instructor is demonstrating an exaggerated drill. In a swing the dynamics change a bit and you're not going to get the same "look" as the drill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • if you can't reach the par 4's in 2 shots, then, i dunno what to tell you, other than youre playing the wrong tees lol.  golf is hard man, eagles are tough, and hole in ones are near impossible believe it or not there are pga tour players who get a hole in one in a tour event and it's literally their first hole in one EVER, meanwhile some low handicappers have multiple hole in ones in their lifetime.  I have 0, but I'll take near par rounds over a hole in one while shooting 80 any day.   I only just this year got my first eagle after driving a 260 yard par 4 and draining a 15 foot putt.  I've started to come close on some par 5's this year too as I'm now starting to hit the green on 2nd shots, but again, my focus is not on getting the eagle but rather setting up easy birdies and making pars as my 2019 goal was to break 80, which I now do regularly, so my next goal is to shoot par on a full 70/72 course.    as far as advice goes, you probably just have to be better.  eagles start with a good drive and a solid 2nd shot.  Know your distances, and be a solid ball striker so your shots actually go those distances 80% of the time, not just once in a blue moon.  I mean, unless youre getting 3-4 birds a round, what makes you think you deserve to get eagles? 
    • Welcome to the site from a fellow, albeit more seasoned, Daytonian. 
    • Interesting. Sometimes at the range I'll play a "simulated" round. I pick a local course I know well and imagine I'm there. First hole, 399yd par 4, hit Driver from the tee. I pick a particular target that represents the fairway. How far I hit it determines the club I pull for my approach, and I pick a different target to aim at so I'm not hitting on the same line every shot. And so on.  On the green do some specific drills, like Michelson's circle drill. Also, use a couple of tees to make yourself a "gate" that is about an inch wider than your putter. Put a ball between the tees and stroke some putts. This will train you to strike the ball in the center of the putter face. Heel and toe strikes will mess with you.  In addition to sharpening your short game, if lag putting is a problem then yes, you'll have to work on it. There's a thread on the "Swing Thoughts" page, I believe, titled "Do NOT accelerate when putting", or something to that effect. I've worked on this since I read it and it has improved my putting, especially my lag putting, a lot!  Sometimes, just work on putts from 3' to 5'. If you make a bad lag, and you will, we all do, those are the ones you have to make to avoid 3 putting. And, if you stick your approach close, those are the ones you want to 1 putt. I've heard more than one pro say that it's important to see the ball go in the hole! Over and over again. Practice success!
    • I am playing a set of Mizuno MP-18 MMCs, and really like them. They have a thin cavity, thin top line, and minimal offset. The SC version would also work. New MP-20s would be similar. Also if you don't mind a bit thicker top, something like the Callaway Rogue Pros are smaller headed with very little offset.  Again every company makes a small headed cavity back at this point.  Might also want to check out some of the component options. Maltby has some heads that would fit the bill if you don't care about what name is stamped on your irons.
    • True that! There was a time when I played a lot of tennis. I, and a friend, would play almost every day after work, and we got pretty good. He was 6'3", I'm 5'9", and he liked to take me deep and charge the net, Once I figured how to hit a deep topspin lob, he stopped doing that! 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. goofi22
      goofi22
      (41 years old)
    2. HackardLaw
      HackardLaw
      (36 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...