IGNORED

How long is your driver shaft (thats what she said)

kjb008
Note: This thread is 4490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I too am at 45.75 right now.  About to go down to 44.5 and add weight (rat glue) inside the clubhead to get the swingweight back...  OR I will keep this driver, buy a new one at 44.5 and try both!

titleist.gif 910 D3 Driver 9.5* A2 Project 7C3  titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood 15* A2 Project 7C3
ping.gif i15 Hybrid 20* UST Axivcore Tour Stiff  ping.gif i15 Hybrid 23* UST Axivcore Tour Stiff
ping.gif i15 Irons 5-PW Dynamic Gold S300
vokey.gif Spin Milled Oil Can Wedges 50*, 54*, 60* Dynamic Gold Spinner
cameron.gif Newport 2 Studio Select 33" Putter  

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received a new driver in the mail today and headed to the range.

47.25" Ultra Lite 45gm stiff shaft with a 12* 170gm head, mid size grip...........This club weighs in at less then 240gm.  Its really light and easy to swing smooth.

I could only laugh at how easy it was to hit and how long it was.  Launch angle was good, compared to my 10*, much easier to accomplish the correct launch.  It actually required zero thought and mechanics to get the correct angle.  Without needing to think about this, I could just swing away.   I hit a few trying to work the ball and will be able to do this easily with a tad bit of experimenting.   I'm headed out to play in the morning and I'll measure a few with the GPS to check distance.  But at this time it looks as though its about 15 yards longer then my Callaway Edge with a 45.5" regular shaft.  Distance looks to be increased from 250 to at least 265.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by 596

Received a new driver in the mail today and headed to the range.

47.25" Ultra Lite 45gm stiff shaft with a 12* 170gm head, mid size grip...........This club weighs in at less then 240gm.  Its really light and easy to swing smooth.

I could only laugh at how easy it was to hit and how long it was.  Launch angle was good, compared to my 10*, much easier to accomplish the correct launch.  It actually required zero thought and mechanics to get the correct angle.  Without needing to think about this, I could just swing away.   I hit a few trying to work the ball and will be able to do this easily with a tad bit of experimenting.   I'm headed out to play in the morning and I'll measure a few with the GPS to check distance.  But at this time it looks as though its about 15 yards longer then my Callaway Edge with a 45.5" regular shaft.  Distance looks to be increased from 250 to at least 265.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many cc's is it and who makes a 170g head? I'd like to see this.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

It's an Integra 175 460cc.   They just came out and I ordered mine last week.   Its a 45gm Integra Ultra Lite stiff shaft on the 170 gram head......weighs in at about 240gm with the grip.  The reported COR is 90-92.  The head/face is a heat treated titanium which makes it very hard and will not dent.  I won't be using it in Tourney's as its illegal.  I use it when I'm out "with the guys" just for fun ( I also have a 9.5* Black Shark, non-conforming - 86 COR)

This thing is very lite and very forgiving.   As I get used to it I'm hoping the distance inceases slightly and I'm able to work the ball a bit more then I could with my callaway.  I was never able to move the ball on command with a draw, but I was able to do that a bit this afternoon with this club.  Fades are always easy : )   I'll post some more tomorrow after my first round with it.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by 596

It's an Integra 175 460cc.   They just came out and I ordered mine last week.   Its a 45gm Integra Ultra Lite stiff shaft on the 170 gram head......weighs in at about 240gm with the grip.  The reported COR is 90-92.  The head/face is a heat treated titanium which makes it very hard and will not dent.  I won't be using it in Tourney's as its illegal.  I use it when I'm out "with the guys" just for fun ( I also have a 9.5* Black Shark, non-conforming - 86 COR)

This thing is very lite and very forgiving.   As I get used to it I'm hoping the distance inceases slightly and I'm able to work the ball a bit more then I could with my callaway.  I was never able to move the ball on command with a draw, but I was able to do that a bit this afternoon with this club.  Fades are always easy : )   I'll post some more tomorrow after my first round with it.

I'm familiar with it and the Black Shark, thanks.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Actually is not a silly comparison.  Studies have been done that show zero distance gain (on a robot) from these clubs for most people, unless you have a pro tour swing speed.  Any swing speed under 100 ( mine is 94) is reported not fast enough to compress enough that you gain any distance from the effect of the higher COR value.

I can't say that the Black Shark with a reported COR of 86 was any longer then my Callaway Edge.  The longer shaft probably added the few yards I gained not the head.  So if it's not the COR then I made the right choices on other specs of this club, ie- longer shaft, stiff flex, ultra lite flex,  loft of 12*, and as low a club weight as I can get.

The first range day showed that my choices were correct.  I've found a few specs that can help me greatly when I spec a new "legal" driver and this thing cost me less then half of what a new "legal" driver would cost.  So it was a great choice to help me learn what I really need without spending a fortune on a new brand name driver.  I live in the middle of no where and there's no golf shop within a convenient drive so experimenting on a launch monitor is not an option.

wow - im thinking about going to 44.5 from my 46

titleist.gif 910 D3 Driver 9.5* A2 Project 7C3  titleist.gif 910 F 3 Wood 15* A2 Project 7C3
ping.gif i15 Hybrid 20* UST Axivcore Tour Stiff  ping.gif i15 Hybrid 23* UST Axivcore Tour Stiff
ping.gif i15 Irons 5-PW Dynamic Gold S300
vokey.gif Spin Milled Oil Can Wedges 50*, 54*, 60* Dynamic Gold Spinner
cameron.gif Newport 2 Studio Select 33" Putter  

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

My stock Diablo Edge was 45.5".  I tried gripping down various distances at the range, and found that I had much better control if I gripped down 1.5".  So I cut 1.5" off the butt end, and installed a WinnLite 5LM grip, which is about 30g lighter than the OEM Cally grip (55g).  I used the lighter grip instead of adding weight to the head.  I haven't had the swingweight checked, but it feels great.  Control is much better, I hit more fairways, and if anything I have gained a little distance.

OK, finally checked the swing weight.  In stock form, as it was, Callaway says it is a D4.  After cutting the butt end and installing the lighter Winn grip, it is now a D6.

Just got my new R9 in today.

At 45.5" I was nowhere near the middle of the clubface so I was fitted to 44.5" which was striking the clubface better.

I wanted it around 44" to match my old driver but thought my old one might be too short.  To offset some of the weight loss I went to a Wynn undersized grip.

I can grip down further if needbe.

Heading to the range later this week.  Hopefully the new big stick works out well.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

• 2 weeks later...

OK, finally checked the swing weight.  In stock form, as it was, Callaway says it is a D4.  After cutting the butt end and installing the lighter Winn grip, it is now a D6.

Interesting...my understanding is that the swing weight will change 2 swing weights (generally speaking) with each 1/2 inch...so when you went from 45.5 - 44 your swing weight should have gone from D4 to C8...however, you are saying that by putting on a lighter grip (25 grams) your swing weight actually went up to D6...hmmm...I would have thought the grip would have had only one or two swing weight affect on the situation but it changed it 8 swing weights...WOW!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Originally Posted by i-Guy

Interesting...my understanding is that the swing weight will change 2 swing weights (generally speaking) with each 1/2 inch...so when you went from 45.5 - 44 your swing weight should have gone from D4 to C8...however, you are saying that by putting on a lighter grip (25 grams) your swing weight actually went up to D6...hmmm...I would have thought the grip would have had only one or two swing weight affect on the situation but it changed it 8 swing weights...WOW!

Yep.  In reality, I think the lighter grip was just fooling the SW scale into reading a D6.  I would imagine that Callaway labeled this driver a D4 based on the 55g grip and stock length.  I wish I would have measured it after cutting it, and with the OEM grip slipped back on just to see exactly what cutting it did to the SW.

However, I just changed the grip again because I didn't like the Winn grip, so I replaced it with a Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G, which weighs 50g, 5g less than the OEM.  I don't recall the SW after installing that grip, but I ended up adding about 8g of tape to the heel area and brought it back up to the original D4.  I stacked pennies on the head until the SW came back to D4, weighed them, then added that amount of weight tape.

I'm curious, did you measure the swing weight when it was stock before you had done anything to it?  Or were you just going on what the Callaway specs said it was?

Unfortunately, just going off of Callaway specs.  Didn't have the scale right away.  Given that grips can vary by 3-4g I'm sure, I can't say for sure that it was a D4 to start.

I have a 44" AccuFLEX Creation 65g in my Titleist 909D Comp, mainly because I like the control and don't seem to lose much distance.  I would recommend getting fit.

• 6 months later...

Any shorter guys like me...I am 5' 3" (5' 4" with my golf shoes on).  What length is your driver?

I have played lengths of 46", 45 3/4" and 44 3/4" this season alone.  they all still feel too long for me.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 4490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!