IGNORED

Whats the most important part of the game?

Lefty2380
Note: This thread is 5931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is the MOST important part of the golf game?

• Amazing Course Managment
    • Solid, Consistant Ball striking
    • Extreme distance control
    • A perfect short game
    • Flawless recovery
    • Unwaivering Mental control and stability
    • Being able to cheat really well

I like short game over Course Mgmt. If you can stick it close anytime, you're likely to recover form any lack of course mgmt you have. Also, I don't think course mgmt is possible on new courses or courses you've never played with blind shots. But, a good short game will get you home...
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I knew, I wouldn't be an 18... that said,
The aspect I am working most on is solid consistent ball striking and my short game.

Working on your short game in golf is like doing layups in basketball - you do it because the last thing you want is to have a break away with 10 seconds left, down by 1 or tied and you miss the lay up.

I think that for an 18 handicapper like myself, the most important aspect of the game is consistant ball striking. With that comes confidence, and as a result, the ability to manage a course. If you aren't hitting the ball consistantly, your distance control obviously will waiver, and with that your confidence and mental game...

So until I break 80, I will be working on my swing and ball striking.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Putting is the most important part of your game.

Until you get older and can't putt anymore . . . then it's ball striking. There is no amount of putting/short game practice that is going to help me out because my eyes are so bad that I can't read the greens anymore, just can't see the depth perception and subtle breaks etc.

I said ball strking because at least this way you enjoy the round even if you know you can't putt like you used to.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

A great short game can fix a lot of other problems...

Imagine if you could get up and down from anywhere with 50 yards of the green....

Let's make it more reaslistic...

Within 10 yards - 100%
Within 20 yards - 95%
Within 30 yards - 90%
Within 40 yards - 85%
Within 50 yards - 80%

I would woop Tiger if I had the above statistics. I am not that good either. In fact, my handicap is only as low as it is because I have a decent short game. Use the above figures in your game and figure out how well you would shoot if you knew the above was fact. Would you hit the same clubs off the tee? In fact, play a round thinking the same way and see how you score. This especially goes for the higher handicappers. Just try it. It is good to do it, just to help your short game.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

I would say that ball striking and course management are the two most important things, because they set you up for a good short game and put you in position for a good round every time out.

Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

Obviously you are going to need a little bit of everything to be a good golfer. If I had to choose one that I was excellent at, and average at all the rest, it would be my short game. If you miss a green, but can get up and down or make a long putt for par, you can a pretty darn good golfer.

I believe your long game breaks 100, 90, and 80 and your short game breaks par.

Basically that means no matter how good you can chip or putt you're not gonna be a good player until you can advance the ball consistantly in the general direction you want it to go.

And then you will never be great player until you master the short game and learn to get the ball in the hole even when your long game lets you down.

Like I have said before nothing gets you in trouble and adds strokes faster than a bad tee shot. I don't know anybody that ever hit a putt out of bounds. I mean really I don't think I have ever received a penalty stroke with a putter in my hand.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Isn't three putting from ten feet like a penalty? I'd vote for never having more than two putts per hole.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Isn't three putting from ten feet like a penalty? I'd vote for never having more than two putts per hole.

Three putting from ten feet is more like hitting a three wood off the tee into the trees and having to pitch out. When your putting from 10 feet and hit such a bad putt that you have to hit your third putt from the exact same place as the first now that is a penalty.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A very good short game and good mental stabilty on the course for me.

Yes, I agree.

Short game is very important as I can lower my scores so easily just chipping/pitching better.
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I went with ball striking. Since it wasn't its own category, I'm including driving as ball striking too. If you can hit your irons close, you don't need a perfect short game.

What's in the bag?

Driver: r7 425, 9.5*, ReAx 65 S
Hybrid: FT, 14*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 S 350
Hybrid: 585H, 21*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 SIrons: MP 57, 3-PW, DGS300Wedges: CG10, 54, 58Putter: White Hot #4Ball: ProV1x

I went with ball striking. Since it wasn't its own category, I'm including driving as ball striking too. If you can hit your irons close, you don't need a perfect short game.

You must have quite an iron game to never miss the green or be so close not to have a difficult chip. Any tips?

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

You must have quite an iron game to never miss the green or be so close not to have a difficult chip. Any tips?

Maybe my post wasn't written so well. I didn't intend it to mean that I never miss a green or run into difficult chipping situations, but if someone could be that good of a ball striker on a consistent basis, they'd be awful hard to beat. Remember when Toms won the Accenture Match Play in '05? His play in the final stands out as one of the best ball striking performances I can remember. The guy was unconscious, and basically unbeatable.

What's in the bag?

Driver: r7 425, 9.5*, ReAx 65 S
Hybrid: FT, 14*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 S 350
Hybrid: 585H, 21*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 SIrons: MP 57, 3-PW, DGS300Wedges: CG10, 54, 58Putter: White Hot #4Ball: ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!