IGNORED

Big Break Disney

Duffy
Note: This thread is 3684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I love how everyone says that Tony's hitting that cart path was a bad break. It was poor decision making on his part.

It all comes down to confidence. He was probably more confident he could put the driver in a spot to win him the match than he was in takin the 3-iron to put him in a spot where he has to count on Mike Perez not winning the match.

Bad decision.....ehhhh. I don't know. Bad bounce more so I think. But that's golf.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony played great and with the youthful confidence. With more experience, he might have kept the driver in the bag with the lead on the back nine driveable par 4. I was rooting for Tony to win, but Mike (despite his attitude) finished really strong with lots of birdies on the back nine.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I enjoyed the final show. A serious comeback win and that was fun to watch.

I don't agree with Mike's horrible behavior, but I am putting it aside to base this solely on ability.

From what I recall, Mike was in the fairway a bunch throughout this show. Tony and Gipper were all over the place, regardless of how far they can hit it.

Also, PGA comes down to putting. Everyone on the PGA can strike the ball well, but it comes down to making the clutch putts and birdie bombs.

In this episode, Mike was the only one to do it. If the Finnau brothers can learn to temper their aggressive nature on the course and putt a little better, I think that their potential is supremely higher than Mike's, but Mike is probably the most ready of those guys right now (based on what I was able to see from the season).
Driver: 10.5 Adams Speedline 9032LS with VooDoo XNV6 X-stiff
Fairway Woods: G15 4wood with Serrano 75 X-stiff
Irons: Ping i15 3-PW w/ AWT Shafts
Wedges: Spin Milled Oil Can Vokey 50deg/54deg/58deg
Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza SpiderBall: Taylormade PentaBest Score 2010 Season: 75Home...

As a side note, I'll bring up the "Big Break" aspect of this again... when they were reeling off all of Mike's prizes last night after he had one, and he kind of chuckled when they said he would be getting an Adams Golf endorsement contract.

I'm pretty sure Mike Perez already had an endorsement with Adams. Based on his hat, his driver and his irons which were all clearly Adams...

I just think it's silly to give a pro golfer the "big break" or opportunity to become... a pro golfer.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Bad decision.....ehhhh. I don't know. Bad bounce more so I think. But that's golf.

He had a two shot lead with two holes to play. It was a 330-yard hole. He could have just hit a six-iron to a comfortable wedge distance and taken all risk out of the hole. Instead, he tried to drive the green on a hole with water near the green? It might have been an unfortunate bounce, but it was a horrible decision.

Gipper did the same type of thing in the episode where he was eliminated, so it appears to run in the family.

I'm pretty sure Mike Perez already had an endorsement with Adams. Based on his hat, his driver and his irons which were all clearly Adams...

Yes, but his favorite club (the 3 wood) looked like a Sonartec

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Yes, but his favorite club (the 3 wood) looked like a Sonartec

It definitely was a Sonartec, I think I saw him playing a Sonartec hybrid as well.

But I would also agree that I think he was already with Adams. Just playing some different clubs in the bag.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I just think it's silly to give a pro golfer the "big break" or opportunity to become... a pro golfer.

This big break wasn't to give a pro golfer the chance to become a pro golfer. It is giving a pro the break to play in a PGA Tour event as well as provide him with some of the goodies along the way. You have to keep in mind that since you are a Pro Golfer you aren't instantly making millions, that is only a very small percentage of all of the Pro Golfers out there...particularly the touring ones.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I just finished watching the finale and was so frustrated with Mike Perez's lack of control. I was actually hoping he did not win. He threw tantrums like a toddler and I hate to see grown men act this way. Wish they had a rule about club throwing and banging the ground. I wish Tony or Kevin had won. Bummer.

Adams sponsors Big Break. Many of the eliminated contestants (Gipper, for example) were wearing Adams hats, too, and they all used Adams staff bags. Also, I think I recall from coverage of the PEI Big Break that they were offered their pick of Adams clubs, too, if they chose to use them. Lots of people in that show were playing the 2009 Speedline (just like Mike was gaming the 9032LS in this season).

WITB:
Driver:  ping.gif Anser 9.5°  | Fairway:    XCG5 15° 
Hybrid:   XCG5 19°  | Irons:  mizuno.gif JPX-825 4-GW
Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP R-12 56°, 60°
Putter:  ping.gif Grayhawk TR

How many putts did Kevin miss by a hair? "If" he had made some of those, he would've been right there with them.

In my Bag:
Forgan Red Square 460 Driver
A2 OS Irons 3-PW
and Some sort of putter

How many putts did Kevin miss by a hair? "If" he had made some of those, he would've been right there with them.

to my untrained eyes, kevin's golf swing has some glaring fundamental flaws. really not pga level yet. i don't think he has effectively and efficiently leveraged his core much.

tony, on the other hand, is there already. could be the camera/editing, but i think for that 4 foot putt that ended up short, tony was contemplating on it for too long, so out of his element. putting is about tempo and confidence...think andrew :)

I thought it was quite entertaining- about as dramatic as a non-scripted reality show can get. Plus i liked the fact that Perez won it by sinking a longish birdie putt instead of the opponent choking (on the final hole anyway).

Just a thought on Perez's antics. The fact that he's so emotional, fiery and hard on himself are probably the same reasons why he was able to grind and perform well enough to win. His streak of birdies at the end (was it 4 of 5?)was one of the more impressive performances i've seen in any competition in quite a while.
In the bag:
Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
3-W: Rapture V2 16
Hybrid: 2009 Rescue 19
Irons: S9 (4 iron), i15 (5-PW)Wedge: S9 55*, CG14 60*Putter: ItsyBitsyBalls: ProV1x

• Administrator
He had a two shot lead with two holes to play. It was a 330-yard hole. He could have just hit a six-iron to a comfortable wedge distance and taken all risk out of the hole. Instead, he tried to drive the green on a hole with water near the green? It might have been an unfortunate bounce, but it was a horrible decision.

Agreed 100%. Two shot lead and the dummy takes driver. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Tony did.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mike had no businesses winning that, IMO. Tony could've and should've closed the door.

Still, can't take away the fact that Mike fought his way back into it and won it.

Congrats, Mike.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Note: This thread is 3684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!