IGNORED

$150.......what to do?

Note: This thread is 4234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a new golfer. I enjoy the heck out of it. Lately I've been playing almost weekly. If I don't get to play I try to hit the driving range. I'm around a 30 handicap.

I've got a $199 complete set of Top Flite XL clubs and think they're pretty nice. It doesn't have a sand wedge. I have a hard time with my driver so for the most part I tee off with my 3 wood which I can hit pretty straight.

I just got a $150 gift card for Sports Authority.

I was thinking about a new 3-wood. or a sand wedge. I'm just curious how much a new 3-wood would help me. Right now I hit my 3-wood 210 to 235 (not super consistent but when i'm doing well) I was thinking about a sand wedge because my PW with full swing goes almost 100 and I'd like to have something to fill that gap.

I've already got shoes, glove, tees, balls, towel.

I need help. I'd hate to throw out $150 for 1 club that won't really change my game much. Any other ideas of what to get?

If I was in your position, I would try to get a putter and a wedge. They have the Nike SV wedges on sale for $70 which is a great looking and performing wedge. As for putters I think the two best options would be a Cleveland classic putter, which are excellent because they are milled and provide great feel, not to mention they are only $70. Another option would be the Odyssey white hot xg. The insert on the club feels great and would be a putter I think you would really like. Thats around $100, so you would go a little over, but I think it would be a worthy investment. This way you can get good practice and it will help you drop your score fast. Good Luck!!!

I immediately thought lessons and the Adam's Tom Watson wedge set, but people beat me to it. I hear they're pretty good wedges.

If you're banging your 3 wood 235 right now you don't ned to replace that at all. You need at least a SW(around 56*) and soon enough you'll want a gap wedge(around 52*). Especially when that PW distance gets to be more like 120ish.

Buy a package of lessons with the $150.

LESSONS....LESSONS....LESSONS......wait except for....No, .....LESSONS! Lower your handicap 30x faster than the best clubs on the market.

OP: "Hi, where do you stock your lessons?"
Sports Authority employee: "Uh, what?"
OP: "Your golf lessons. People on the internet said I should spend my gift card on golf lessons. I assume you carry those? Or is that seasonal."

I was also gonna post 'lessons' but quickly retracted that after being reminded halfway down the thread that it's a gift card.

I'd go for the wedges, if you're comfortable enough with your 3w for now then why would you seek a replacement? Try to fill in any big loft gaps (in this case, below your PW) so you can strive to achieve distance consistency throughout your clubs.

Oh and get lessons.

I'm a new golfer. I enjoy the heck out of it. Lately I've been playing almost weekly. If I don't get to play I try to hit the driving range. I'm around a 30 handicap.

Is this your set? http://topflite.com/clubs/xl/ That putter should suffice for now. You could bring it along and compare to other models if you're in doubt. Personally, I'd go with a couple wedges (a gap and a 56* or 58* as a dual purpose sand/lob wedge). I see that your PW is at about 100 yards though, so maybe just a 56* as your go-to club around the green when a simple chip and run isn't an option. How well do you hit the hybrids? That's where I see yardage gaps (6iron to 5h and 4h to 3W) - leave that for later though. One reason you may hit your 3 wood better is that most people do. The size of the clubhead and the loft make solid contact a little easier. For all people say about "forgiveness on mishits", a 460cc driver can cause your long swing (yes, there is a difference) to become sloppy and careless. And a giant headed driver on a windy day is a nightmare. Anyhoo - if you really like your 3-wood, check out a higher lofted smaller headed driver or a strong 3-wood for the tee (like a 12* Cleveland Launcher 3W). No matter what you get, get quality equipment - it never goes out of style and you may still have it 2 or 3 box sets from now.

awesome - thanks for the input so far guys

as far as lessons.......yeah i wish it were lesssons instead of a gift card, but that's neithe here nor there. right now I do not think I've progressed farther than my equipment, which is why I was reluctant about upgrading.

Yes that is my bag you listed. I'm really thinking about the wedges as recommended. I didn't think about upgrading my putter but I like the one I have. My playing partner has an Odyssey putter and it's real nice, and my putting is horrible most times, but I thought that was more me than the club. I wil most def. check into the tommy armour wedges. And I'd love lessons too! Maybe x-mas......

as far as they hybrids......i'm pretty good with them when I connect nicely.
the course I play is pretty short. On a good day I range around 200+ off tee. If I'm not in the trees I usually have a playable shot onto the green......but that's where my game lacks badly. I know.........LESSONS!

Yes that is my bag you listed. I'm really thinking about the wedges as recommended. I didn't think about upgrading my putter but I like the one I have. My playing partner has an Odyssey putter and it's real nice, and my putting is horrible most times, but I thought that was more me than the club. I wil most def. check into the tommy armour wedges. And I'd love lessons too! Maybe x-mas......

1) A putter iss a very personal thing. Just because a friend has a sweet $200 Odyssey doesn't mean it's right for you. Try out at least 20 before choosing which is right for you. I thought the one I have was a gimmicky waste of space until I tried it. Now you have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

2) It's Tom Watson wedges, not Tommy Armour wedges. They're made by Adams golf. I've heard they're good, but apparently don't work in pressure situations on links courses in the British Isles. I'm just sayin...

checking Sports Authority's web site they don't carry the Tom Watson wedges. What I'm considering now is the Nike SV Tour Wedges with steel shafts. They're 69.99 and come in 54, 56, 58 and 60 degree lofts. There are also Taylor Made rac Chrome wedges for 79.99 that come in 50 and 54 degree lofts.

What I was considering was the nike's in 54 degree and 58 degree lofts. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Note: This thread is 4234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!