IGNORED

Greenside heavy rough,which club and how??

Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What club do people use for shots around the green in rough or heavy rough?? Im trying to use my sw which has most bounce to cut through the rough but club seems to get twisted up resulting in poor shot! Am i using right club??

Wouldn't less bounce be better to cut through it? Like a knife, the thinner the blade, the easier it cuts through.

I use one of my wedges, depending on lie and distance. I mostly use my 58º out of heavy rough. My swing will determine the outcome regardless of what bounce is on my club. Those few millimeters difference in bounce really won't make that big a difference.
The reason I like to use the 58º is that I can be agressive without fearing I'll hit it too far. With 58º of loft, it can't really fly that far. Again, depending on distance I vary the length of my backswing. There are two things I want to avoid at all cost. One is to get the club tangled up in the grass, which will slow it down and close the clubface. The second is to hit directly on the ball. It's the only way to get it out of a place with long grass. Getting under it is not even an option with that much grass behind the ball. So, I have a steep approach angle and hold open the clubface to prevent it from closing on the way down. This will also help limiting the distance. To get full distance you must close it through the ball. Sort of like a chopping move. If I get too shallow, it'll tangle up in the grass and the shot is ruined.

In lighter rough where the ball is cushioned on the grass and I can get the club under I hit it using the bounce of the club. Sliding the club underneath the ball and popping it up high in the air. This is a shot which is much easier to control, but there are always dangers here too. I swing on a more shallow plane, I don't want to dig into the ground behind the ball. Again, holding off the release to better control accuracy and distance.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did a google and found this:

Step 1 Position the ball back in your stance, off your right toe. Step 2 Narrow your stance. Your feet, hips and shoulders should be slightly open to your target. Step 3 Place most of your weight on your left foot (for right-handed golfers). Step 4 Grip the club close to the bottom of the handle and place your hands forward of the ball. Step 5 Cock your wrists early on the backswing, creating a steeper takeaway and a sharper descending arc. Step 6 Hit down into the grass allowing the loft of the club to pop the ball upwards and forward. Step 7 Limit your follow-through. If you correctly hit sharply downwards into the grass, any kind of follow-through will be inhibited.

You can get so many different lies and shots around the green in thick grass you can't explain them all or have time too. If the lie is horrid it is a totally different shot than if it is not terrible. Club selection, It depends. I will use my 56 for the better lies or an bunker type shot when going long is the better miss. If it is sitting way down I will use either one of my LW.

These shots are so hard to judge. You have to properly gauge how it will come out then put the perfect swing on it to get it close.

I will never use anything less than a 56 out of the rough around the greens. I feel more conforable being aggressive and flying it most of the way to the hole. I bump and run is going to be very difficult to control out of a bad lie.

Very Very loose hands will solve this, let the weight of the club drop into the grass.

That's how i play it, assuming we are talking about HEAVY rough. If I can't get a clean club on the ball I almost play it like a sand shot.

Best thing I can suggest is playing the ball off your back foot, lean foward with hands well foward and taking a short but powerful backswing - which ensures you're accellerating through the ball. Keep the face held open like a bunker shot. Really it's the only way to have control, since you're not really hitting the ball - rather the grass behind and under the ball.

Note: This thread is 4309 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!