IGNORED

How Much are your Balls Worth?

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How much do you pay for a dozen balls?

• Less than $10
    • $10 to $20
    • $20 to $30
    • $30 to $40
    • $40 and Up

• Administrator
I typically get my Pro V1xs for about $39.99 or, occasionally, $34.99.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far, far too cheap to play the Pro V1x's. If I find one, I tend to like them, but they're obviously not in the best condition when I find them.

Normally, I play Wilson Jack Longs (they're Super Cheap!) but most recently I've found the new(?) Nike Double C. I bought a dozen before my Thanksgiving rounds, and they had excellent distance and good to great feel.

At $15.00/dozen at K-Mart, both sides of me are happy.

You know, Aaron, if you spend a little more money - again, the Wilson Jacks I get are around $15 for 15 balls - you'll get a LOT better performance out of your golf balls.

There's a Golf Magazine article I was reading not too long ago (dead tree version) that talked about the effects even a little exposure had on golf balls. Given that the used bucket are balls the grounds crew picks up, they're of questionable quality.

The other option is the Big Box Sam's Clubs/Costcos of the world, and Wal-Mart. All three have really good deals on new balls. My personal best find was the 36-ball "bucket" of TopFlite XL 2000's for $19. That's getting awfully close to the $6/doz. price, and that's for new balls.

(And, I'll avoid making the comment about how playing a TopFlite XL is like hitting a rock; if you're comparing to the used bucket, they're worth it.)

Lastly, there are the X-Outs. Cosmetic and slight dimple differences at this point in your golf career won't matter and again, they're not reconditioned or used balls.

Shop around a little. You'll be surprised at what you can find, and will probably end up with a dozen or two extra yards off the tee.

Now that's some good advice, Braz. I have TopFlite XL 2000 that goes everywhere with me. It was the first ball I ever played a round of golf with. I definitely don't need top quality yet, so I think I will check out some of the bargains you mentioned. The ones I am used to using do often take some funny wobbles in the air.

• Administrator
Now that's some good advice, Braz. I have TopFlite XL 2000 that goes everywhere with me. It was the first ball I ever played a round of golf with. I definitely don't need top quality yet, so I think I will check out some of the bargains you mentioned. The ones I am used to using do often take some funny wobbles in the air.

I think it's important to be careful with golf balls. Hitting rock balls can cause problems, I think: you're afraid to hit them thin, which introduces some other problems (hitting

at the ball instead of through it, etc.). Plus, I think the joy of playing is taken down a notch when you feel like you've broken your club four times a round. Just be careful with those hard ones. If you're going to play cheap balls, also consider some ladies balls. The fact that do well when you swing slowly is a benefit - it can get your swing to be a bit more controllable. The Precept Laddie has long been a favorite among even low-handicappers, and I find them for $19.99/24 (so $10/doz). I played some when the winter got chilly up here and they still felt soft, went nearly as far as my Pro V1x, and spun almost as much. Pretty impressive really. And the "LADDIE" stamp is more maroon than pink.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Precept Laddie has long been a favorite among even low-handicappers, and I find them for $19.99/24 (so $10/doz). I played some when the winter got chilly up here and they still felt soft, went nearly as far as my Pro V1x, and spun almost as much. Pretty impressive really.

Hear, hear, and I wish I had remembered about the Laddie. I still remember giving one of my friends a hard time for playing the Precept Lady, and then Precept realized just how many golfers wanted the long, low-compression ball for better feel around the greens. If you can find two dozen Laddies for $20, buy at least four dozen. You'll love them, I guarantee.

I've been playing Nike TA2 LNGs but have decided to move to something else so I'm getting some Titleist DT SoLos for my birthday (hopefully, they'll be here soon). They were $22/doz I think, with free personalization.

Hooked On Phonics Worked For Me!

I've been playing Nike TA2 LNGs but have decided to move to something else so I'm getting some Titleist DT SoLos for my birthday (hopefully, they'll be here soon). They were $22/doz I think, with free personalization.

I played the SoLo's and, in my experience with two dozen, I thought they were more prone to side-spin.

(Based off of the number of hooks and slices I hit with those, compared with the Wilson Jacks, Laddies and Nike MoJo and Double C balls I also played over the past six months...) I'll be curious to hear what you think of them...

I played the SoLo's and, in my experience with two dozen, I thought they were more prone to side-spin.

I'll be sure to report back. Maybe I'll even do a review and put it over on TST. Of course, this all depends on me being able to even *tell* that I'm using a different ball.

We'll see.

Hooked On Phonics Worked For Me!

I'll be sure to report back. Maybe I'll even do a review and put it over on TST. Of course, this all depends on me being able to even *tell* that I'm using a different ball.

I'm with you on being able to tell, but in the case of the DT SoLo's, there was no question for me. There was a clear case of... something that caused my slice to get worse or, in what must have been a miracle, actually caused me in some cases to hook the ball.

I never hook the ball. ::shrug:: Go figure.

• Administrator
Since I work for a golf course, I get my balls free when I'm out on the range. Its great! Nevertheless, the balls I use would cost $40 plus, since I play ProV1x's and Hogan Apex Blacks.

Not too many people I know have gone with the Hogans. How do they compare to the V1x?

Not too many people I know have gone with the Hogans. How do they compare to the V1x?

Well, the Hogan Red is just a little softer than the ProV1, and spins about the same. That is, just a little too much for me. I create too much side spin that way. The Hogan Black is very comparable to the ProV1x. Same feel, trajectory, spin, etc. Almost like twins. The only difference is that the Black is more of the off white of the ProV1, rather than the bright white of the ProV1x.

Hope that answers your question!

I usually play Hogan Apex Tour but occasionally will play something else depending on what the reps provide. One of the benefits of being a golf professional...free/cheap equipment which goes along with the long hours/low pay...lol.

• Administrator

How would you compare it to the Pro V1x? I think I'll just ask everybody that.

Note: This thread is 5031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!