IGNORED

How far do you fly a six iron? Shaft?

Jay-Bird
Note: This thread is 5238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I already posted my distance and it makes me realize just how short of a hitter I am. My 6i is 155-160 but quite often I pull it out at 150. Even with the strong lofts on my X-18s that is all I can get out of it.

I don't see why it's frustrating. Consistency and accuracy trump distance 100 times over. I used to hit my 6i 140. Now that I've improved my ball striking I'm syked to see it go 160(we're talking about in the air right?).

I rarely "go after it" with my 6 iron, as I'm not extremely confident with my iron control yet. I rarely swing more than "80%" with my irons. I hit it anywhere between 175-185 comfortably.

Using 3rd-hand svg irons. No telling what kind of staff.

Revolver Pro
FT-5 Tour 8.5°
Diablo 15° 3W
MP57 3i-PW (Project X 6.0)
52°, 56°, 60° Rossa Daytona

"Optimum" doesn't mean "maximum."

Indeed; which makes some of the numbers quoted even less believable. Same thing happens with pretty much all "How far do you hit X?" threads.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Indeed; which makes some of the numbers quoted even less believable. Same thing happens with pretty much all "How far do you hit X?" threads.

I have played / do play allot of golf with different people of all ages, this year I must have played a round with about 100 different golfers - some good or even greeat golfers, some average golfers like me and some poor golfers. For many years it has been about the same give or take 25 golfers. I hit a good drive around 250 these days but would average out more like 240. I can hit it further but I lose control. I hit my 6iron 160 avrg yards. With these numbers I tend to be the LONG hitter with most of the foursomes I play with. I can almost recall every golfer I have played with that can truly hit the ball internet long and those guys tend to have control issues and don't average those numbers. But I have played with a few guys that truly can hit 280 yard drives in play all day (most college golfers and a few on tour)

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say about a long drive of mine -"wow that must have went 300 yards" when by gps it was only 265, but they just see I am 40 yards past them and they THINK for some bizzare reason their drive went 250 or 260 when it only out there 225 yards. The reverse is true when a guy who think he is internet long and busts one 260 and I say "nice drive that must be out there 260" , they reply "more like 300". At times I let it go, other times I measure for them with the the GPS or sometimes I'll say "cool then you only have 100 yards in" when I can see they are sitting by the 150 yard marker. Now true I don't live in a long ball region of the world - we are at sea level and the air is wet etc. so we might get 10 yards more carry in more average conditions. But the internet is the hot bed for long hitters and bull $hitters
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Anytime I have 180 yd shot, I would pull out my 6 iron. I use regular flex graphite shaft.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nah don't be frustrated. I'm 20 years young, and until recently, i've spent the past 10 years watching people scorch the ball past mine. But remember, a lot of it isn't about distance--it's about control. If you work out the core muscles and continue practicing correctly you should see a tremendous increase in accuracy and consistency. Not to forget an increase in distance too

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

I have played / do play allot of golf with different people of all ages, this year I must have played a round with about 100 different golfers - some good or even greeat golfers, some average golfers like me and some poor golfers. For many years it has been about the same give or take 25 golfers. I hit a good drive around 250 these days but would average out more like 240. I can hit it further but I lose control. I hit my 6iron 160 avrg yards. With these numbers I tend to be the LONG hitter with most of the foursomes I play with. I can almost recall every golfer I have played with that can truly hit the ball internet long and those guys tend to have control issues and don't average those numbers. But I have played with a few guys that truly can hit 280 yard drives in play all day (most college golfers and a few on tour)

Unless you've just successfully cut a corner or cleared a hazard, who estimates driving distance (without a rangefinder) while they're still on the tee? Wouldn't you just subtract the distance you have left for your approach (to the centre of the green) from the distance the hole played that day (corner cutting excluded)?

Anyway, back to the 6 iron debate, I don't think I've ever had a "perfect lie" with no wind to a flat green on an 85 F day. Mizuno MP w/ S300 ~175 yds on the button. 165 if there's a hazard fronting the green or the pin is barely on the green. 185 if the pin's at the back. Hogan Apex w/ Apex 4 ~170 yds +/- 10 depending on pin placement. I actually can hit my 7 iron as far with the Hogans - I think it's time to get my lofts checked.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

According to a Trackman from this weekend, average was 151 yards. Long was 172.

I have a really high ball flight. Would like to bring it down.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

130-140 with Mizuno MX-23 with quite stiff Exar Blue Shafts

I am only a Junior and i am 5'1 so thats my excuse

And I would rather hit it 140 in to the green consistently rather than be able to hit it 170-180 and regularly s***k it

Consistency and accuracy trump distance 100 times over.

Sorry but this argument doesnt really work - OP asked for a stock shot where you make proper AND efficient ball contact. That doesnt mean somebody is swinging out of his shoes to get there and losing all control. So when you have to pull your 6i for a 150y i can pull a 8i - so what do you think produces better consistency & accuracy?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

200 yds dynamic gold s300

so is your 7 iron 190 cause thats mighty far Phil Mickelson carries his 7 iron 183 via golf digest for november and i consider him quite long, the other part of this question is what is your driver swing speed cause i fell like i may be out of the loop a little with a 115 driver ss and 6 iron flies 185 190. so if you could answer those questions it would help a lot to maybe calm me down or tell me i need to work on my ball striking if 185 is short for a 115 driver ss

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Unless you've just successfully cut a corner or cleared a hazard, who estimates driving distance (without a rangefinder) while they're still on the tee? Wouldn't you just subtract the distance you have left for your approach (to the centre of the green) from the distance the hole played that day (corner cutting excluded)?

I know my home course very well (100's of rounds on it) so I can tell you with in 10 yards how far I hit while I am still on the tee. I think most of members can do the same.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

I know my home course very well (100's of rounds on it) so I can tell you with in 10 yards how far I hit while I am still on the tee. I think most of members can do the same.

I think I know what you mean - my eyesight isn't as good I guess. On a course I know well, I can take a good guess how far my drive will end up while it's in the air. And yet so many people get their own driving distance wrong and dispute the information others provide.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 5238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!