IGNORED

How far do you fly a six iron? Shaft?

Jay-Bird
Note: This thread is 5256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Say you're in the fairway with a good lie, the greens are fairways are soft so you have to fly it to the green - what is your optimum distance to hit a 6 iron. Assuming calm conditions, 85˚ weather, low humidity, even elevation from ball to green...

Sorry but how do you fly a 6 iron 185 when your 6-iron swing speed doesn't break 90? Strong lofts, lots of roll??

Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so is your 7 iron 190 cause thats mighty far Phil Mickelson carries his 7 iron 183 via golf digest for november and i consider him quite long, the other part of this question is what is your driver swing speed cause i fell like i may be out of the loop a little with a 115 driver ss and 6 iron flies 185 190. so if you could answer those questions it would help a lot to maybe calm me down or tell me i need to work on my ball striking if 185 is short for a 115 driver ss

126 mph driver ss i carry my 7 iron 180 if ya wanted to know

Good for you but that's besides the point bc your SS in your 6 iron isn't below 90mph.

A SS for a 6iron that is "standard lofted" and around 85-88 mph will NOT get you 185 yard carry. Plus if your SS is below 88-89mph the OP most likely not (note I didn't say definitely) be playing x-stiff shafts. The face he's swinging below 90mph and playing x-stiff shafts makes me either doubt he carries his 6 iron 185 or he has his 6-iron SS posted incorrectly
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

its a funny thing good players do called pure contact,its amazing.

There's something else called physics but I guess that doesn't apply to you when you're

dreaming
Callaway FT 3 Wood

hit a ball off the toe going 110 mph and dead pure at 100mph and guess which one goes farther.

That's not the point they are making - the point is either of those is going to go further than a swing speed of 85mph but no matter how pure the 85mph contact is it won't magically generate the same carry as the 100mph pured ball, which is what would have to happen to make the statement that caused this back-and-forth be true...

In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

• Administrator
Enough, guys. And I wouldn't necessarily call PX 6.0's "x-stiff" shafts. They're only slightly stiffer than DG S300s.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live in Alabama, so there is no such thing as low humidity. But I usually fly it around 175. DG s300 shafts. Either Top-Flite Gamer or Nike PD soft balls.

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

Oh and My driver SS is 167mph and I carry my 7 Iron 285 yds. 'Cause I'm a MAN! GRRRRRRRRRRR!

In my Hoofer Bag:
9 degree Burner '09
975F 14.5 degree 3 wood
MP 52 2-5 Iron
MP 62 6-PWCleveland 588 Gap and Sand Wedge IC 20-10Low Round: 68 The Senator Golf Course Robert Trent Jones Prattville, Alabama

yeah that exacly what i wanted to know thanks

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

Smooth 165 with DG S300's.

Don't have to be long to play this game......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

160-170 depending on contact

DG S300

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

geezus... you guys clobber your 6i's 200?
how frikken far do you guys hit your driver? 400?

my avg drive is in my sig... so you can pretty much guess im pulling 6i around 150-160ish depending on how the green is set up and whats guarding it... usually im more comfy hitting it in the 145-155 range with a smooth easy swing altho ive been surprised a few times when it goes beyond that
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 5256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!