IGNORED

How far do you fly a six iron? Shaft?

Jay-Bird
Note: This thread is 5238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Usually carry it a weak 145-150; ball rolls out around 5 yards, depending on the conditions. I gained about 10 yards this summer but have lost it all from the colder weather, not playing as much, and reverting back to a weak cut (instead of my summer draw). Use the Callaway X-20 uniflex shafts.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHHHHH all those guys are carrying it 180 and I'm stuck at 140!
Of course, I'm only 13 years old, but still, all my friends hit theirs 160+.
My clubs are SportMart junk, but I'm getting some Nike Ignites soon, so that might help a bit. I guess I just need to grow.

I use a 6 iron from 165-175. It's a Haig Ultra from 1966 with an R flex shaft. I only have one intact shaft band, on the 7 iron. It says Ultra Feel, Pro Flex, or something like that.

You might be able to tell I'm not obsessed with the latest equipment. I love the Haig Ultras because I can work the ball right to left and the clubface seems so simple to hit, unlike virtually everything else I've tried since I lost my previous Haig Ultra set in the '80s.

Those clubs are weak lofts compared to current specs. I can hit my other 6 irons from 180. But I love the Haig lofts because the pitching wedge is a modern gap wedge, 51 degrees. No need to force fit anything else.

Nike pro combo stiff shafts.
normal shot 175
cut shot 160'ish 'spins back on some greens'
draw 185
delofted snap hook 205+
What shot do you play with your six iron is another good question because I can turn that thing into a 4 iron or an 8 iron.

AHHHHH all those guys are carrying it 180 and I'm stuck at 140!

Don't worry, most people who say they carry it in the 180s don't do it accurately nor consistently. At the age of 13, 140 yards of carry is just fine.

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

I good shot will carry 150m (165 yards)
a poor shot will carry 140m (154 yards)

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I fly my 6-iron 185-190 yards usually. I play Cleveland TA-2s with X100 shafts.

What's in my hoofer 2 golf bag:

Driver:: R9 9.5* with Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 shaft in X-stiff
3 wood:: R9 15* with Fujikura Motore F1 65g in X-stiff
2-PW: TA2 with Dynamic Gold X-100Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 53* Gap and 60* LobPutter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 with custom paint and stamp on heal/toeBall:

My target distance with a 6i is 165yds. Don't always get that but with a good hit I can rely on that number. I suppose I could really go at it and hit it farther, but that wouldn't be a number I could accurately play to with any regularity (and more often than not doing that I'd top it, shank it, or chunk it).

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

My target distance with a 6i is 165yds. Don't always get that but with a good hit I can rely on that number. I suppose I could really go at it and hit it farther, but that wouldn't be a number I could accurately play to with any regularity (and more often than not doing that I'd top it, shank it, or chunk it).

I think that's the issue most amateurs have. They use the club they would need to get to the green with a perfect hit. In reality the pros don't even hit it solid every single time. I'd guess you would be much better taking one extra club than what you think you need and playing for the likelihood that you won't hit it solid. Sure you'll catch a few solid and hit it too far, but you'll hit way more the right distance.

I think that's the issue most amateurs have. They use the club they would need to get to the green with a perfect hit. In reality the pros don't even hit it solid every single time. I'd guess you would be much better taking one extra club than what you think you need and playing for the likelihood that you won't hit it solid. Sure you'll catch a few solid and hit it too far, but you'll hit way more the right distance.

I just want to add that if you choose to do this, use a little course management common sense too. Decide where you would prefer to miss it, long or short. Don't put yourself into a bad situation.

"The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, 'A flute with no holes is not a flute. And a doughnut with no hole is a danish."

909 D3 Diamana Blueboard 63g
909 F2 3 Wood
MP-57's 4-pwIdea Pro 2 and 3 iron hybridsTour-W 52 deg wedge Tour-W 56 deg wedge2 Ball center shaft putterProV1

I just want to add that if you choose to do this, use a little course management common sense too. Decide where you would prefer to miss it, long or short. Don't put yourself into a bad situation.

Yeah good point. Taking one extra club is great advice for 99 percent of the golfing world because you're more likely to hit it a little off the toe/heel/thin/etc than flush, but if you do have a water hazard long or something like that, don't take the extra club in that situation. You're far better off being short and saving a stroke than long and in the hazard.

155. Dynamic Golf R300. I don't care about distance, I care if I stick it next to the hole.

160 +/- 5 yards. Titleist AP2 with PX 5.0. A lot depends on lie, weather and how I'm swinging on any given day.

With my AP2s I get a bit more from light rough because of the tendency for hitting fliers (plus some additional roll) with the new groove form.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

190 would be a normal full-swing, nothing fancy. I could take a few yards off by choking down on the grip or get it up to 200 if I want to put a little extra on it. Shafts are DG R300's.

Playing regularly again after a few years off. Started playing in 1999.
Whats in the bag?
Driver: R7 425 9.5*, Reax 65 shaft
3 Wood: V Steel 13* tour-spoon, M.A.S.^2 shaft
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19*, Dynamic Gold shaft Irons: DCI 762 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold shaftsWedges: Watson VI, 52.08, 56.14,...

I'm not sure, but it's at least the distance between where I strike through the ball and it comes to rest. About that far....

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Note: This thread is 5238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!