IGNORED

Slow Play

Dr_Fu_Manchu
Note: This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At your handicap level maybe, but not at mine. Granted I wouldn't be playing from the back tees, but I'd still take at least 30 more swings than you did. A foursome of high handicappers isn't finishing in close to four hours even if they play ready to play and optimize the use of a cart.

To be completely blunt, I've never seen four high handicappers in carts optimizing shit all.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

To be completely blunt, I've never seen four high handicappers in carts optimizing shit all.

Total distance traveled, maybe?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We all aspire to your level of greatness....The point was high handicappers are taking at least 30 more swings per person, so if low handicappers barely finish in 4 hours, it's not reasonable to say as a general statement that any round over 4 hours is too long.

Joe Paradiso

The course standard / clock should be the guide.

I agree. I always note our start time and check routinely to make sure we're on pace. 4 hrs is standard and as long as my group is playing at that pace I don't want a ranger telling us we're playing too slow, regardless of where the group ahead of us is.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

high or low handicap, the people that slow down a round are people who sit in their cart, watch their playing partner hit, then drive to their ball (which is usually 15-20 feet away)and hit, then pick up the other person... Or you have the morons with the ball retrivers fishing around in a water hazard! eh I think carts fundmentally can be tool to help play quicker or just promote ungodly laziness

callaway.gif   FT-i driver,  FT 4-wood,  X Utility Prototype 18* hybrid-iron / Big Bertha Diablo 3 & 4  hybrids

Tour Preferred CB 5-PW irons

callaway.gif   X-Forged 52*, X-Forged 56*/58*, X-Forged 64*  wedges  

Daddy Long Legs (38'') putter

:nike:RZN Platinum ball

I think carts only speed up play when...
A. Players have their own individual cart. This can't/doesn't usually happen.
B. Both players on the cart are pretty good and tend to, when they do miss, miss in the same direction. This doesn't usually happen either, even for good players. A miss is a miss.
C. Someone is playing by themselves on an uncrowded course.
D. The topography of the course, or the weather conditions (heat, wind, etc.) make walking so difficult that a cart makes more sense.

For the normal, Saturday or weekday round, I think carts slow the game down. It takes people's focus off their ball, leading to more lost balls and more ball hunting. They lead to a lot of needless dicking around - clubs, score, wrong side of the green, beer, sodomy, whatever. Most importantly, most hackers don't have much ability to focus and get any feel. Walking the course - the pace of it, thinking about the shot on your way to the ball, enjoying the natural beauty of the course in a more primary way which leads to (for many) calmer thus more successful (and fast) rounds, focusing primarily on your ball, not having where your bag/pull-cart is placed be as big an issue as with an electric cart, etc.

Unless you're in a situation where walking is difficult, or you have physical impairments, golfers should walk every round. It was good enough advice for Harvey Penick and countless others, it should be good enough for us.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Maybe this is off the subject of the thread, but I was thinking about the days when the U.S. Open played 36 holes on the final day. Can you imagine the entire field of the today's pros who made the cut jamming 36 holes into one day?

If the PGA Championship did that we would have never heard of John Daly.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I think carts only speed up play when...

Those conditions will help, but with some thinking, some practice, and some walking, carts can (and should) speed people up, even with 2 carts for a foursome. The main thing carts help with is carrying bags and covering long distances (on tee shots or between holes). They're not intended to take all the walking out of the game. On the rare occasions when I use a cart, I always share, and I'd say that each of us wind up walking 1/4 to 1/3 of each hole. We drive to (or near to) the first ball, drop off the player with a couple clubs, then the cart heads off to the other ball. After his stroke, the first player walks up toward his ball as if he's walking the course, and at some point the cart meets him so he can exchange clubs if needed. If getting near the green is likely, when you get out, you take a wedge and your putter along too, so you don't even need to visit the cart again until you've holed out.

If you're using a cart correctly, you're going to be walking quite a bit. That way you don't waste time sitting around waiting for it, and that's why it *should* speed up the round. The problem comes when the golfers don't plan ahead and find themselves waiting around for the cart to come back.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

They lead to a lot of needless dicking around - clubs, score, wrong side of the green, beer,

I guess that course is not one I am so interested in unless the beer is VERY good .....

• 4 weeks later...
Warning: slow play rant ahead... Today I played a "quick" 9-holes. I saw a bunch of guys on the 6th hole when I teed off on number one. By the time I got to number 7, I had to wait for them to clear the green. And I'm a pretty slow and methodical player! That was freaking slow. I've never seen anything like it. It took a solid hour to finish holes 8 and 9. They didn't wave us through, so our options were cut the round short, hit into them, or wait it out. I just hit into them on number 7. Pretty sure they picked it up because it was striped and I still couldn't find it. They each had their own cart, but when they got in, they even drove slow. I mean slow-walk slow. In a cart!? We were about 300 yards out at one point and couldn't tell if the guy was moving or not. Turns out he was, you just had to wait a while to see. I guess you can't fault them though because it turns out they were pretty old. Having retired 48 years ago, they all had eleven and a half hours to kill, so they went out and played 9. We'll all be there someday....

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Played in a league last Saturday. Foursome in front of us were just awful. They would all drive to the first guy's ball, watch him hit then drive to the next guy's ball then the next, then the next. Friggin brutal. What's even worse, is that all four of those guys work at the course as ground crew! You would think they'd know better. After the 2:45 hr front nine, I just had to pack up and leave.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

They didn't wave us through, so our options were cut the round short, hit into them, or wait it out. I just hit into them on number 7...

Another option would have been to ride up and simply ask them if you could play through.

There is NEVER any good reason to knowingly and willfully hit in to a group, putting the lives of others in jeopardy. You're lucky that they were old guys. If you had purposefully hit in to my group you would have gotten your ass stomped. As for the slow play problem, here are a few observations: The golf industry wants more folks to take up golf. More golfers means slower play. That's life. Golf takes time. If you don't have at least 4 hours of your day to spare, then you simply don't have time for 18 holes. It seems to me that the folks who complain the most about slow play are the ones who have forgotten that golf was intended to be a fun and leiurely pastime. What's so horrible about spending 4 hours on a beautiful course, enjoying the greatest game ever devised, with good friends?

They didn't wave us through, so our options were cut the round short, hit into them, or wait it out. I just hit into them on number 7.

You sir should be banned from golf

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

we will be unless we die from someone hitting into us on number 7.

rofl!!!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Played in a league last Saturday. Foursome in front of us were just awful. They would all drive to the first guy's ball, watch him hit then drive to the next guy's ball then the next, then the next. Friggin brutal. What's even worse, is that all four of those guys work at the course as ground crew! You would think they'd know better. After the 2:45 hr front nine, I just had to pack up and leave.

Imagine how slow they'd have been on foot!?!? Oh wait, they'd have been faster.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!