IGNORED

Can You Play On Your Bad Side?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went up to the local driving range with a friend.
My friend has left-handed clubs and I said I'd give them a try.
Amazingly I could hit the ball FURTHER with a left handed club than with my usual cobra's albeit a good bit less consistant.

Are you any good on your bad side?

I heard tiger woods grew up playing left handed and then changed to right handed and he can still play well left handed and him and phil sometimes swap clubs.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

You have discovered the trick to becoming one of the best golfers in the wrodl... switching it up. Gonna trade in my clubs tomorrow!

I always wondered though... if you were to switch, and take lessons PROMPTLY, it would be like starting with a clean slate.

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

Would it?

All your muscles would be built to suit a right hander though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I write lefty, and I'm left-eye dominant. I could switch-hit back in my baseball days, but was always better from the right. I've never tried to swing a club lefty, but I often putt left handed with the back of my putter. Maybe I should give some lefty clubs a try.

I think the theory is that if you switch hit you put your dominant side forward, and the forward arm is the controlling arm in the swing.

I can't do it, but there's no doubt it works (Phil). In college I golfed with a natural lefty who learned the game righty because all his brothers' clubs were righty.

He plays lefty now, but he can play to a legit 15 HC righty. And FWIW we would stand apart and hit balls back and forth to each other at practice soccer fields between classes with only my clubs and he would take my PW I'd take my 9-iron to do it.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

I was a Barber when I was young and developed a remarkable degree of ambidexterity over time, most Barbers do. I think it would be fun to try lefty.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

My left side is useless. I cannot do anything with my left side.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

phil grew up playing right handed shooting in the 80s and one day he switched to left handed and magically because amazing at golf. alot of people are longer with their oposite hand, most of my friends

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

I made the mistake of hitting a friend's lefty driver at a range one day. I could hit it OK, but very inconsistent. The next day my back was a mess!! Never over do it!!

I am going to teach my 3 year old son to play opposite-handed. I believe it to be the better choice.

BTW, I saw Steve Flesch on "playing with the pros". He said that when he retires, he will begin to play right-handed, so he can have more fun playing with his friends. That's pretty cool.

phil grew up playing right handed shooting in the 80s and one day he switched to left handed and magically because amazing at golf. alot of people are longer with their oposite hand, most of my friends

Not quite. Phil grew up playing left-handed because he was mirroring his father's (right-handed) swing.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Not quite. Phil grew up playing left-handed because he was mirroring his father's (right-handed) swing.

you mean Tiger right?

Or was phil the same? because he's right handed in everything else

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I can't coordinate my left side worth anything. For some reason my left hand is stronger though, more powerful grip.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I heard tiger woods grew up playing left handed and then changed to right handed and he can still play well left handed and him and phil sometimes swap clubs.

Wrong.

Tiger's a righty, he's practiced plenty with lefty clubs, but he's always played right. The video of him on Bob Hope's show at age 2 - clearly show he's always been a right hander... Phil is a righty. His father started taking him to the driving range when he was 18 months old. He'd watch his dad hit balls - for four months before he started to wanting hit balls himself. He immediately took a left-handed stance. His dad tried, at first, to make him hit right handed, but Phil stubbornly kept swinging left handed. So ...
Young Phil was as stubborn then as his smile is now. In his right mind, the boy was a left-hander, and even his old man couldn't change that. "After the third time" (left-handed), Phil Sr. said, "his swing was unlike anyone's I've ever seen for someone that young. We weren't going to fool around and change his swing. We were going to change his club." Into the garage Phil Sr. went, sawing down the pint-sized wood, refinishing it, reshaping it and reshafting it until his son had his lefty driver. Phil Jr. took that club to the beach, to the park, everywhere; there's a picture of him on a pony ride, holding it like Moses held his staff. That wood rests in a trophy case, maybe the one that will house the PGA Championship grail.

I practice left handed often. I suck, but I can hit the ball if necessary. However, if I take a lefty driver and flip it over and swing it righty, I can pound it...

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

as a gag I played left handed with the baseball players inn college cuz they all sucked at golf. After about 15 rounds I broke 80, I have never played form that side again. It felt like thats as good as it was going to get and I was right handed golfer that coulc play far better from the right side.

I've tried taking a few hacks with my friends' righty clubs. It's a pretty hideous thing to watch.

In 'real life' I'm pretty ambidextrous (According to my neurologist, I'm 'true ambidextrous', but he doesn't know me that well so...). I can throw with either hand, though have more experience throwing righty. Switch hit in the baseball career. Wear my watch on my right hand, eat with my left, write with my right.

I'm weird.

But no, I can't hit a golf ball worth a damn with righty clubs.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I think the theory is that if you switch hit you put your dominant side forward, and the forward arm is the controlling arm in the swing.

This is exactly right. I am right handed in every aspect of my life except for golf/baseball swing. I like leading my swing w/ my stronger arm. It just feels more powerful to have my stronger arm leading the way. My dad is the exact opposite being left handed but swinging right handed. I'm sure it only feels that way for me because I grew up swinging a bat left handed and transitioned it over to golf when I started.

What's in my hoofer 2 golf bag:

Driver:: R9 9.5* with Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 shaft in X-stiff
3 wood:: R9 15* with Fujikura Motore F1 65g in X-stiff
2-PW: TA2 with Dynamic Gold X-100Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 53* Gap and 60* LobPutter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 with custom paint and stamp on heal/toeBall:

I've tried taking a few hacks with my friends' righty clubs. It's a pretty hideous thing to watch.

Some individuals are what is often called cross dominant. In my case that means I naturally did all my fine motor activities left handed, things like writing and eating. My natural gross motor skills are right handed, things like throwing a ball. My neurologist believes that is why after a closed head injury, equivalent of a mild stroke, which affected my left side and left eye vision I recovered considerably better than most people. Evidently cross dominant and ambidextrous people have a better develped corpus collusum, (not sure of spelling) which aids recovery. Writing right handed sucks though.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Some individuals are what is often called cross dominant. In my case that means I naturally did all my fine motor activities left handed, things like writing and eating. My natural gross motor skills are right handed, things like throwing a ball. My neurologist believes that is why after a closed head injury, equivalent of a mild stroke, which affected my left side and left eye vision I recovered considerably better than most people. Evidently cross dominant and ambidextrous people have a better develped corpus collusum, (not sure of spelling) which aids recovery. Writing right handed sucks though.

In some possibly related random stupidity... When I'm at work and have to jot down a few quick notes -- I tend to write with my left hand. When I sit down and actually think about writing something, I use my right.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

Note: This thread is 4010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!