IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

HUGE set back for me in regards to S & T this weekend. Everything is FAT, and not just fat but FAT.

Had the same thing happen to me a coulpe of days ago after playing well recently. The fix for me: stop being lazy with my leg action and standing up through impact.

What up Nick! Carlton

Had the same thing happen to me a coulpe of days ago after playing well recently. The fix for me: stop being lazy with my leg action and standing up through impact.

Hey Carlton. Glad to hear you are self diagnosing WELL! The followthrough motion is so easy to measure & probably the most important part to perfect. Having the club travel from P7-P8 consistently well fixes a lot of the downswing issues as well.

Nice to see you here, Nick. I must have watched your Basics and Positions videos on YouTube a couple dozen times each already. They've been a big help. Thanks!

Hi Stretch. Glad they have helped. Probably should do some more one of these days....

Just started implementing S&T; into my swing this weekend. I've been thinking of it for a while and started watching some videos (Nick's included) and got the book the other day. I went to the range and all the motions felt very natural to me. I've always had a strong OTT swing that results in a "power fade" when I get lazy and I really liked the feeling of the weight staying on the front and I'm still working on getting my hands in because I'm very used to just bringing them back. Overall though I was very happy with the way I was hitting it. I was just really surprised at how natural the 'weight forward' notion felt to me. Definitely excited to get on the course in the morning and see if I can carry it over.

I think I may give this a try and see if it will work for me.. I am just getting back into golf and need a lot of help with getting a nice consistent swing and hitting a divot in front of the ball. Tomorrow I am going to work on a couple of things,
1. Tempo
2. Weight shifting
3. Shoulder turn
4. Hands and Arm extension and,
5. Divot drill (Carving a line in the ground to see if I can make divots in front of it)

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I've been trying the stack and tilt since the first article appeared in Golf Digest. At times I've hit just amazing shots but I seem to struggle with every once in a while developing the shanks. I'm not really sure why this happens or what to do to prevent it either, since i've never had any real instruction. Can any of the experts on here help? I think from reading the thread that it might be a result of not committing to being on my left side but I'm not sure. Sometimes it feels like if I lean more left it only exacerbates the problem. Any thoughts?

I also struggle at times with hitting my fairway woods and hybrids a little thin, but I think that's because I have trouble committing to the downward blow and pull up slightly. Any ideas on what else might cause this?

My bag:

Driver: Ping G-10 (s flex, 10.5*)
woods: Callaway Hawkeye 3 and 5
Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha 21*Irons: Ben Hogan Apex Plus Wedges: Taylor Made TP satin 52* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Going to guess that the problems with the longer clubs are because your hips aren't sliding forward enough and you're not standing up enough through impact. If you can take some swing video, you'll be able to get some far more informed opinions.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Any thoughts?

Do you have a video camera?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Do you have a video camera?

I don't have a way to video myself right now. I really am at my wits' end, though. The last two days I've been using S&T; on the course and had some of my best ball striking ever - hit every fairway on the back yesterday and almost every green - but then I go to the range today to try and groove the feeling and I hit 3/4 a bucket of shanks. Can anyone give me

anything to try? Why are the shanks happening? I mean, I can understand pulls and slices, and hooks, but I have no clue about these shanks. Is the club going too far inside? I see on another site an instructor who says that's a big part of the problem with shanks - that the hosel 'searches for the ball', and yet in S&T; philosophy you want the club to go inside. It's baffling.

My bag:

Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha 21*Irons: Ben Hogan Apex Plus Wedges: Taylor Made TP satin 52* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

• Administrator
I mean, I can understand pulls and slices, and hooks, but I have no clue about these shanks. Is the club going too far inside? I see on another site an instructor who says that's a big part of the problem with shanks - that the hosel 'searches for the ball', and yet in S&T; philosophy you

No, you want the HANDS to gain depth. The club doesn't get whipped around inside.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No, you want the HANDS to gain depth. The club doesn't get whipped around inside.

What?

My bag:

Hands should be deep on the backswing to maintain the relationship between your hands, arms, and shoulders throughout the swing. The club should not go far inside of your hands, because doing so requires that you manipulate your forearms and wrists on the backswing, then manipulate them back on the downswing.

Watch this old chestnut of a Charlie Wi swing:

Notice that the clubhead doesn't go inside past his hands until the club is parallel to the ground.

If you can possibly afford it, a video camera is the best investment you can make for your golf swing.

In the bag: Titleist 909D2 9.5°, 906F2 15°, 585H 17°, AP2 710 3âPW, Vokey SM 52.08 & 58.12, Studio Select Newport 33", Pro V1X.
Home course: Lenzie Golf Club. Working on: ball striking.

Erik is "Right On"....during the stack and tilt school he and Dave placed a traffic cone in a position where the club would touch it if it was whipped inside...helped tremendously

PB

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Erik is "Right On"....during the stack and tilt school he and Dave placed a traffic cone in a position where the club would touch it if it was whipped inside...helped tremendously

That works. I did something similar by getting the help of Rickie Fowler. He sat down on my right side, if I hit him, I was too far inside.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
That works. I did something similar by getting the help of Rickie Fowler. He sat down on my right side, if I hit him, I was too far inside.

Hardy har. A traffic cone joke.

The traffic cone drill works wonders (even with the little orange man instead of a real cone!). I spent the better part of two hours on it at the Boston S&T; School. It is so much easier to focus on the hand path than the club head path after doing the drill.

If you have a mirror, that works as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thanks so much for the help guys. It helped a lot!

My bag:

Well after reading a lot of these threads and seeing that my current swing is hit and miss I am going to give this a try. I just ordered the book and will have it Wednesday and a new swing adventure will begin! I am just looking for a little more consistency in my swing and really tired of the fat shots and random slice.

I am curious, i remember Iacas saying that no player aims straight at the target? I am curious how much curve is acceptable? How much curve dow the S&T; usually generate.

I know when i am swingning good, i got a small draw, i mean 5 yards at most. I really got to try to draw it more if i want to get it to bend alot more than that. My misses are usually a slight block. But thats been about a year. I had one drive the other day that was my small draw, man did it feel good.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: