IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

• Administrator
How much curve dow the S&T; usually generate.

Stock shot would basically be a 3- to 5-yard draw. Or with a wedge one yard. And you can fade the ball too. Stack and Tilt just gets you to hit the back side of the circle. Easiest way to fade it from there is to aim left and push-fade it. Same swing. Change the attachment and alignment a bit.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I ordered the S&T; book today. I've been taking lessons from a PGA instructor and just don't feel that I'm making the overall progress that I should. He keeps talking about timing and release and I just am not getting it. He changed my grip and my stance and I just don't feel that comfortable. I used to play golf years ago, and I don't feel that I'm any better now, then I was then.

Long time lurker, this is my first post. I bought the book a couple months ago and have been trying to implement the technique slowly but surely. I was fairly decent before, say a 10 hdcp, and had started keeping my weight shift to a minumum for the last few years. I hit a draw already mainly because I cross the line at the top of my backswing and that is the shot it produces. i have been working on not taking the club back so far, to insure I don't cross the line. I have taped my swing through the process, and that has helped tremendously. I FELT like I was doing better not crossing the line at first, but video showed different. Really struggling, it almost has to feel layed off at the top for me to be right. I just can't keep my right elbow from flying out.
The flying out is what causes the club to cross the line. I know it's going take time to get my elbow and forearm straight up and down. Any drills to help this?

Also started shanking of late. I was using offset clubs and switched to clubs with no offset........does it matter with S & T techniques?
Just focusing on backswing at this point , i live in SW Missouri, so just using book. Any teachers close to my area?

Power and distance.

When using stack and tilt I'm losing it and badly. If I use a different driver swing ( reverse k set up etc ) i can hit it 230-250 yards . Stack and tilt, maybe 210.

Any ideas?

In my bag:

Nike SQ DYMO 10.5
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Big Bertha 3-10 IADAMS Tom Watson Classic 54,58 and 64 Wedges Nike Oz 5 Putter/Wilson Staff ( not sure model, bought it in second hand store ) Ball: Bridgestone E6

Power and distance.

Post a video.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm still waiting for my hold copy of the S&T; book from the library.

Why does S&T; advocate the straightening of the back leg other than allowing for a fuller turn? Doesn't allowing the leg to straighten mean an extra movement, thus adding one more movement to replicate? Would your swing still be semi S&T; if you keep it fixed?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
Power and distance.

Yeah, you're doing something wrong. The second fundamental is distance. There are several pieces which add distance and you're probably not doing them enough (or at all).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm still waiting for my hold copy of the S&T; book from the library.

See here, if you dare:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...do-and-Kostis?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator
Why does S&T; advocate the straightening of the back leg other than allowing for a fuller turn? Doesn't allowing the leg to straighten mean an extra movement, thus adding one more movement to replicate? Would your swing still be semi S&T; if you keep it fixed?

Why? To allow the hips to turn on the inclined plane. To allow the shoulders to work on the inclined plane. To help the upper and lower centers to stay fixed. For power.

Does allowing the leg to straighten add an "extra" movement? That'd be an odd definition of "extra" on par with saying that something like "isn't turning the shoulders an "extra" move - why not just lift your arms up and swing them down?" Point being it's not "extra" - it's much closer to "necessary." And yeah, check the other thread if you want.

Why? To allow the hips to turn on the inclined plane. To allow the shoulders to work on the inclined plane. To help the upper and lower centers to stay fixed. For power.

Just to add the what iacas said. Rear leg straightening also allows the hands/arms to gain depth utilizing angular momentum. Check out these right legs

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I misinterpreted straighten to mean always completely ramrod straight. So the way I read it, it's more like don't lock the flex of the back knee, unflex it as it allows the shoulders to turn on the inclined plane.

The link to the thread was very helpful. In the collection of back leg photos, some were straight, some had a tad of flex. So there's a range to work with. One person I noticed who visibily straightens his back leg is Charles Howell.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Erik or Dave W....could you guys give me a detailed description of the "traffic cone drill" to keep clubhead from whipping inside too fast...want to try this at my range...also, I seem to be pulling wedge shots...any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Administrator
Erik or Dave W....could you guys give me a detailed description of the "traffic cone drill" to keep clubhead from whipping inside too fast...want to try this at my range...also, I seem to be pulling wedge shots...any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Traffic cone - set a traffic cone on your stance line so that when you take the club back properly (good P2 so the shaft is parallel to the target line) the heel of the club just clips the top of the traffic cone (the big ones work - they're like 30" tall or so). On the downswing because you'll have more lag and you'll be pushing your hips forward you'll swing well inside/short of the traffic cone, but on the backswing if you whip the club around and inside it'll clip the cone. Don't "cheat" it by pushing your hands out and above the cone - keep taking those in and just hinge the club up fast enough to miss the cone without rotating it or rolling it in.

Got the book yesterday and went to the range today. Took a few balls but I really had some nice hits. My mid irons were really good as i moved up I had a little trouble but hey it has the first day and I loved seeing the divot after the ball with my 7 iron. I hit 7 or 8 in a row that flew about the same distance and really close. Had some trouble with the driver but I will keep at it, I think it had to do with the wider stance and keeping the weight of my left foot.

All in all i am pretty excited with the results. I had my good shots and my bad but the bad was due to me not shifting my waist toward the target so that's my main focus now.

Would you say Brian Gay employs some stack and tilt pieces?

Looks like it to me. Check out the last post on there about the guy who is doing some serious hating on S&T;

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Believe it or not...S&T; putting is good!!!...We have been told for years to keep the weight on the front foot and move the shoulders....pure S&T.;
A Golf Digest article on Zach Johnston's wedges that propelled him to a Masters win focused on leaving the weight on the front foot...do I have to say more???

PB

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade: