IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

• Administrator
So is S&T; still a valid and worthwile pattern? Reason i ask is that for the past year or so the book has been sat staring at me from the book shelf. I tried it before i got a bad injury and just never got back into it. Anyway, i want to be more consistent and feel a mechanically simpler swing may be the ticket.

It's not necessarily mechanically simpler. It's still a golf swing. You still do the same types of things. Your wrists still hinge, the hips still turn, etc. The only "mechanically simpler" golf swings out there remove levers and speed and thus distance.

Im ok on the setup (have a tendancy for too wide a stance and for left knee to collapse inwards towards ball), left shoulder down etc., but have trouble understanding how to get the hips to slide and the "jumping" they mention coming into impact.

That's something that's found in every golf swing. We talk about it as Key #2 - weight forward. The hips slide forward and then the knees extend to "jump" a bit.

Having watched a clip of Mike Bennet from 2009 the slo mo looks like in transistions into the downswing by leaning left, as if someone is gentley pushing him towards the target.

I don't know if he's doing too much of that, but many people will "screw up" S&T; by letting their head go down and/or forward, often during the backswing.

S&T; is one swing pattern. 5SK is any valid swing pattern. To me, that kind of says which way I'd go.

Oh, I meant to add this. The very good S&T; instructors - after all, I was one years ago - don't exaggerate things, they don't "pervert" (for lack of a better word) the swing pattern too much like so many do. They're tough to find. But Darren would probably be one of them. The poor ones almost only know S&T;, the good ones just use the info and pieces of the pattern where they fit.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I seem to be a collector of golf teaching books, as many around here are.  I have one of the Jim Hardy books, the second one.  I am curious as to what are the fundamental differences between Hardy teaching methods and those of Stack and Tilt book?  Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed before.  I did a search and could find anything on this.

The poor ones almost only know S&T;, the good ones just use the info and pieces of the pattern where they fit.

Bingo I went from the S&T; to get better impact but after reading other threads I kinda used what was good for me.

It's not necessarily mechanically simpler. It's still a golf swing. You still do the same types of things. Your wrists still hinge, the hips still turn, etc. The only "mechanically simpler" golf swings out there remove levers and speed and thus distance.

That's something that's found in every golf swing. We talk about it as Key #2 - weight forward. The hips slide forward and then the knees extend to "jump" a bit.

I don't know if he's doing too much of that, but many people will "screw up" S&T; by letting their head go down and/or forward, often during the backswing.

S&T; is one swing pattern. 5SK is any valid swing pattern. To me, that kind of says which way I'd go.

Oh, I meant to add this. The very good S&T; instructors - after all, I was one years ago - don't exaggerate things, they don't "pervert" (for lack of a better word) the swing pattern too much like so many do. They're tough to find. But Darren would probably be one of them. The poor ones almost only know S&T;, the good ones just use the info and pieces of the pattern where they fit.

Thanks Erik, the jumping makes more sense now. Im overthinking that part instead of letting it happen as part of the hips sliding forward.

Im going to concentrate initially on the 1st 2 keys (in order) and on keeping my stance at a comfortable width (little under shoulder width). I also need to believe im myself a little more!.

How come you decides to move awate from S&T;?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

How come you decides to move awate from S&T;?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/60820/purestrike-5sk-stack-and-tilt-etc layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

I will also leave this here-Andy and Mike and their "science". [CONTENTEMBED=/t/65681/s-t-2-0-dvds-and-pressure-weight-forward-an-examination layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Nuff said!

Not as controversial as i was hoping for though :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Nuff said!

Not as controversial as i was hoping for though

Right, in America controversies are not nearly as juicy as in the UK. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Scrolled through the Posts and other the threads. I have no idea what to make of some things. I found certain info and Numbers about weight versus presure very helpful. S&T; in Europe is pretty hard to find, there are a few teachers in Holland. I think a lot of instruction is still based upon wrong info, like a level hip turn etc. So we have a Mountain to climb. Yet, I have the feeling, although firmly based in the S&T; info, they evolved and use more data and or info to implement in a students swing. I think everybody should evolve. S&T; helps me very much, though I doubt i fit in the model. I do not take lessons that much. Given thelimited time I can spend on golf taking the choice of taking a lesson or play, I choose to play. Now and then I het a check up, some pointers. I use some specific drills, 5sk drills included. I like to watch clips on the tube, Joe Mayo, 5sk. I feel they help me and I would like to say that I swing more centered, not fighting the pressure on my right leg in the back swing. Just my 2 cents. I had one marvelous day with Mike and Andy. It makes me a bit sad to read that somewhere along the line there is some friction (or more than that) between 5sk and S&T.; Not sure what to make of it all, but I guess live goes on. When 2 people fight, most of the times there are 2 to blame. I find the info on this forum very open and helpfull and at the end of the day, it is benificial to me. Philip Bonifanti in the UK is also S&T; certified.

Nuff said!

Not as controversial as i was hoping for though

I'd try Darren Hopwood. I've never had a lesson with him, but I've had direct contact with him online. He is much more about having students develop a functional golf swing vs. being a "literal" S&T; instructor. He's very knowledgable and a great guy.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

Oh, I meant to add this. The very good S&T; instructors - after all, I was one years ago - don't exaggerate things, they don't "pervert" (for lack of a better word) the swing pattern too much like so many do. They're tough to find. But Darren would probably be one of them. The poor ones almost only know S&T;, the good ones just use the info and pieces of the pattern where they fit.

I really like this response and truer words were never spoken.  Good instructors will consider that not all of us were born with the athletic abilities of PGA pros and/or have suffer injures in our lives the make some of the "conventional" moves more difficult, maybe impossible, for us.  I was never really able to take the club back without swaying (moving the head) because of some old injuries I suffered. So I am grateful to my present teacher as he is the one that told me "I don't really teach or know how to teach the SnT but why don't we try you keeping more weigh on you left leg during the swing".  For me this one statement probably kept me playing golf as I was about to give it up as I just was not improving.  So, for me anyway, finding a Pro that was willing to try something other than "conventional" moves has significantly improved my skill set and lower my handicap.

Sort of an aside I guess I don't try to do any SnT swing moves other than the set up and keep the weight forward.  But I have seen that by keeping the weight up front (feels like it anyway) that some SnT things just happen. For instance I can see my left shoulder does go down more than it used to.  But for the first time in my golf journey I feel stable over the ball and as a result feel like I can swing the club with some enthusiasm, e.g. I don't have any tendency to steer the club when I feel stable.  I don't think my longest drives are any longer but there are more of them (especially more toward the hole)  and thus my average is distance is going up.

BTW I still am with this Pro and he still thinks we did the right thing, and so do I,  even though this weight forward isn't something he would tell most of his other students.

Butch

So I am grateful to my present teacher as he is the one that told me "I don't really teach or know how to teach the SnT but why don't we try you keeping more weigh on you left leg during the swing".  F

Such a simple sentence, yet a whole lot of teachers refuse to even try it and/or willing to discus it. I thin you have a good teacher. Enjoy.

• 7 months later...

My SnT feel is initially just enough weight on the front leg to make it possible to tilt in order to remain stacked as I bring the hands in and the shoulder down.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

• 4 months later...

SnT helps me to be a better ball striker.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

• 7 months later...

I just bough the book and am hoping to see what I can integrate into my swing.  I have really struggled in the past year and my handicap is not moving forward at all.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Antneye said:

I just bough the book and am hoping to see what I can integrate into my swing.  I have really struggled in the past year and my handicap is not moving forward at all.

Have you read the 5sk stuff?

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

2 hours ago, TN94z said:

Have you read the 5sk stuff?

Not yet, but from my research it seems that the 5sk stuff kind of builds on some of these concepts so I figure its not a bad place to start ($10 on Amazon) and then I can go deeper if I like what I am seeing.  At minimum it doesn't seem like it can hurt.  I'm not ready to jump into a more expensive program just yet.