IGNORED

MULLIGANS whats your opinion?????

kjb008
Note: This thread is 5143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a 12.3 I think its time for you to give up mulligans. Unless you're playing in a charity tournament scramble and have bought them. The free stroke or two can really sway your handicap in the wrong direction.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Assuming you're posting your scores for your handicap, definitely no mulligans- period.

Playing a casual round, hit a bad shot, and want to see if you "could" have made it, sure drop another ball.

That said, it's your game you should be able to do as you please, as long as it's not affecting anyone else (like your gambling partners perhaps) and you're keeping up the pace of play with the group in front of you.
In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

It all depends on if you're playing for practice or not. If you're playing for real, mulligans are never acceptable. If you're playing for practice then do whatever you want. I say this as a golfer who plays for practice (and takes mulligans) 99% of the time. I'm just not good enough (yet) to play for real very often.

Take as many as you like.
Just don't pretend that you are playing golf.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

To be honest, I felt guilty the first time I bought them at a tournament. Actually, they're fun to have at a best-ball tournament. A few of the guys I play with use mullies, and I'm perfectly fine with that. We're all out just having fun anyway. For me, I don't use mullies. I like to know that my score is actually my score. It'll make that 75 feel that much better.

I must admit that this doesn't seem to be as common in OZ, must happen though.
KGC- edge bag
580 XD 9.5* harrison striper Ti S
// v-steel 15* S//rescue 17* S
710 AP 2 3 ir + 755 4- 9 S//vokey 200 48.06 / 54.14
sm
60.08// studio design 1 4*

stopped using them once i got better than 36.4

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Well,

of course no mulligans when I post my scores, which is only during tournaments.

The other only situation where I have accepted to take one is at the first tee, when racing from the parking lot. If we hit the very first shot OB then we consider having another ball for free. But then again, it doesn't matter anyway. In the end I know that the score is +2.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

I never use mulligans. If I hit a bad shot I'll drop another and see how I hit it but I always play my first shot.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

My group allows a mulligan off the first tee only if we didn't hit the range beforehand but thats about it. We shouldn't even be doing that though. I think Mulligans are for people who cannot accept the fact that they made a mistake. I've shanked drives short of the ladies teebox before, then crushed a 3-wood and saved par once or twice. Thats a great feeling. Alot better than having in the back of your mind the fact that you really got 2 more strokes than you're counting.

Me and the guys I usually play with dont allow mulligans or gimme putts either for that matter. My philosophy is that in order to get better at the game you have to play it under real conditions under the real rules - I also think in the back of your mind if you know you can take a mulligan you dont focus on your shot as much as you should.

Driver: '09 Burner
3Wood: Burner
Hybrids: 3 hybrid and Austads Pickle 26 degree
Irons: Rac os2 PW-4
Wedges: Vokey 48, 52 and 56 degreePutter: RossaBag: Sasquatch TourPushcart: 2.0Ball: Prov1 GPS: freecaddie software running on cellphone

We don't do mulligans, we don't do prefer lies, we give putts inside a putter head, sometimes. We play to get better, IMHO these things take away from that effort.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

i like to go with 1 mulligan for every 18 holes but no puts, just looking to see what the norm is for everyone else.

If I my ball comes to rest 100 yards into the forest or out of bounds , I'll hit a mulligan from the point I just hit from (even if it's on the tee box) in order to speed up play. Then all I have to do is add 2 strokes to my score when I finish putting out. It's just that easy.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If I'm playing a practice round, or on my own, and the course is clear-ish, I'll hit a load of mulligans but always play my first. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to get a feel of how different things pan out, so to try to do this with just playing my first around 18 would take a while.

I always end up with the score I shot with my original ball, counting penalties and whatever, but I'll almost always have more than one ball on the go.

Depends on the circumstances, like most have stated. If I plan to keep a real score, I play by the rules. Sometimes in a practice round I might hit 5 shots from the same spot if the urge strikes me, though.

When I play with one guy we both take one mulligan on the front and back. I almost never even use mine. Really depends on the course, there are tight courses that if you miss the fareway you are out of bounds.

My friend will pretty much just give up at that point because He'll hit one out of bounds and gets flustered and will continue to hit shots out of bounds. The mulligan seems to make that less likely.

And yea you have to add 2 to your score but if we both have a mulligan its still a fair game between us.

If i'm in a comp then no mulligans.

But if I'm with friends I use a couple of Mulligans if I hit a wayward tee shot.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Note: This thread is 5143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!