IGNORED

MULLIGANS whats your opinion?????

kjb008
Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

when i play with friends its 1 mulligan every 9 holes. i have no problem giving mulligans when playing for fun. i dont usually do it but if my partner wants to take 10 thats cool with me.
What I Play:

Driver: Sumo 5000 9.5*
Fairway Woods : S2 15*/18*
Irons : MP 58 3-PW S3000 StiffWedges : Spin Milled 54*/58*Putter : Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball : Pro V1 ( Used )Bag : (Cart Bag) Twister 2010 (Stand Bag)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mulligans. It's fine if you want to take them, but don't say you shot a "78" or whatever the score may be when you took a mulligan or three.

A lot of people say they take them when they are playing for fun; for me, if I pay my green fees I'm not out playing for fun. I'm out there to shoot the best score possible. That's just me though.

COMPLIMENTS TO WIKPEDIA:

Yet another anecdote goes back to old terminology referring to a "mull," a small hill of grass or dirt used to tee the golf ball for easier striking prior to modern tees. When a bad shot was played, the player told his caddy "I'll have a mull-again" to play another shot.

According to the USGA, the term first achieved widespread use in the 1940s.

Me, personally? been off mulligans for a long time, and when I kicked that nasty habit, my game took a turn for the better; much better!! As for you, like I say to my buddies, "as long as you can sleep at night"

In my bag, I carry
Karsten 7* IST 3wood 1200LT 5wood
MP-14 3i-PW
MP-Tseries 56-10 RawHaze
Golfsmith Attack 60-10 DeepRed Fluid Feel putter w/fatshaft proV1's when I can afford 'emCourses I love to play: http://pebblecreekgolf.org/ http://www.byronhills.com/ http://www.golfmohr.com/http://ww.....

I'll take one on the first tee if I've had absolutely no warm up, and hit a dribbler from being tight. I don't take one if I go OOB, I'm likely to do that even if I've warmed up.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Depends on the group I'm playing with, and then its just of the first tee. It's not some kind of an insurance for a good start though. Played with a guy couple of years ago who duck hooked his hard hit drive so badly it flew straight into the roof of a house creating the loudest BLAM of that afternoon. Well "mulligan" someone muttered, and up stepped the guy again, slamming the mulligan in the exact same spot on the roof "BLAM!". Coffee must have been spilled in that house, as we were playing around four in the afternoon.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

golf with clients...they can have many damn mulleys as they want and let them tell me they won!!!!!!!

I don't ever post a work golf score. I shot a 77 once in a two man scamble in a work match. we had 2 solid golfers and two terrible (120 type) golfers. So we made a deal to play the 2 man scramble to keep the pace moving...i go out and have the round of my life! WTF.

I do have a couple clients that are serious golfers. those tend to be money matches, with HC and legit. they don't have mulligans and are posted...but not considered client golf. Anyone who plays work golf should understand the difference.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

We play 2 off the 1st tee, and then it's whatever you end up with.

When I'm playing by myself, I'll drop 2 or 3 if I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or trying to learn from a crazy position what works best, like from the trees, or a crazy hill. I typically don't even keep a score during those rounds, and even if I do, I won't post it because I wasn't following the rules.

I try not to give myself mulligans, depends on how well im playing that day, went and played 9 sat at crab orchard in carterville il, first time id played since thanksgiving. I shot 49 without using any mulligans or improving my lie or anything like that, felt pretty good. I mishit a few shots, topped a couple from the fairway, still managed to make a bogey on one hole and thats about as good as I ever do. Didnt make a single par though, disappointed in that, had my best chance on the 2nd hole, missed about a 5 ft par putt, had several in the 12-15 ft range but never made any of them. All in all, much better than expected result for first time out this year. Ill try not to use any mulligans this year, as long as I can keep the ball inbounds ill play it, if not ill use no more than 1 per 9 holes. Sometimes making bad shots results in having to get creative to get out from near or under a tree, bush, woods etc and those shots, if you can pull them off, do a world of good for confidence.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Personally I'm a fan of practicing on the range and playing on the course. I'm not a scratch golfer but I enjoy trying to play one ball the entire round and challenging myself to do so. And you know what is going to happen when you drop another ball, the second player is always better than the first.

2 ways of thinking: first, when playing with some friends on the weekend or going out for a nice round somewhere during the week, maybe play 2 off the first tee, other than that, don't try to be a better golfer than you really are. What I mean is this, if you loose a ball, take a stroke...if you put one in the water, don't re-tee, instead go up to the drop zone and take a stroke and try to save bogie. No one is going to fault you for being too honest on the golf course, it's a gentelman's game and a game that should be played with respect and honesty. On the other hand, if you are out with your bro or wife, etc., sure why not play 2 or 3 balls. Get the practicing in when you can. No rules out there that say you can't play multiple balls as long as you are not holding anyone up or hitting into anyone.

In my Nike Sasquach Yellow/Black Staff Bag:
Driver: SQ Dymo 10.5 Stiff
Fairway: SQ Dymo 3W Stiff
Hybrid: R9 19º
Irons: R9 StiffWedges: CG15 Black Pearl 50º/54º/60ºPutter: G5i CustomBall: One Vapor / TP Red

. . . why not play 2 or 3 balls. Get the practicing in when you can.

Check out rule number 7. I'm just sayin'.

http://www.golf.lacity.org/rules_regs.htm

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Interesting. I liken it to when I was a kid and we played baseball in a wild field. If there was 6 of us we played anything to the right of the second base rock was a foul ball. Oop's we weren't playing baseball, but you couldn't tell us that and it was fun. The guys I play most with don't take mulligans, we will hit a provisional ball and score accordingly. Sometime I play with guys that do, so I do. Most of the time I play alone in the winter and I will hit another ball when i mess up, but I know it's not the right ball to score, it's kind of like cheating on a test, you know what you did. I'Il usually only score the hole when playing alone and not bother with total score as that 7-9 hole score is too common for me sometimes. What I do do though is have fun in any case

Driver FT 9 DVS 60 S
3 wood x 3 wood C S
Hybrid TP Mid 2H Irod S
Hybrid Mid 3H Irod S
Hybrid Mid 4H Irod SIrons 6- PW X-20 Tours DG S300Wedges X-Tour 50, 54, 60Putter Hybrid two bar

Interesting.

The baseball analogy doesn't really work because you made a necessary modification to the game due to a shortage of players. It's a game designed for 9 players on a team, so to play it shorthanded some adjustments may be necessary to even make the game playable. In golf there is no such scenario. It's a solo sport... you against the course. No adjustments are necessary.

Take a mulligan if you like as long as you don't back up the course by doing so, but there really isn't any rationale that makes it an acceptable part of the game. It's just what you do.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are many activities that can be enjoyed with golf clubs and golf balls; one of which is golf. Each has its set of rules, and should be played as such.

I have played and enjoyed many of these activities, and have no problem with the various ways they are enjoyed. I have no problem with mulligans like one per side or 1st tee or 1st and 10th, even in casual stroke play with friends and friendly wagers as long as everyone agrees and follows the agreement. I have bought mulligans in organized or charity tournaments where such was used. Also bought a "skirt" once where you could hit from one ladies' tee. Like others said, just don't brag about your 72 with "only" 2 mulligans.

If one plays "golf" where the scores are used for handicap purposes, mulligans should not be used.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I'm playing with someone who wants to take a mulligan or two - I don't care.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

2 off the first tee is fairly customary with the groups I play in. After that it's play the ball down.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Cheating

Espeically if you are counting this round into your current handicap...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Note: This thread is 5117 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!