IGNORED

The Gimmie

Rolf Harris
Note: This thread is 5097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With me it depends. If I'm playing skins with someone in my group, and he gives me the putt I'll take it because its defacto match play. If its inside a foot I'll just tap it in.

I've had times with friends where its two feet out with a L to R break (my least favorite) and someone gives me the putt, I'll tell them no I'll putt it. Really for handicap purposes. I have yipped that one more times than I care to talk about.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll be surprised how many players (including single digit handicaps) can't make a 3 footers in a stroke play competition. regadless of what you think of gimmes, you will not be a tournament ready player if you are in the habit of accepting them
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

you'll be surprised how many players (including single digit handicaps) can't make a 3 footers in a stroke play competition. regadless of what you think of gimmes, you will not be a tournament ready player if you are in the habit of accepting them

That is so true. Even if you putt everything out during a casual round, in a tournament even a one-footer on the final hole for the win looks very intimidating. While we do give gimmies during a casual round of skins game, we do not give gimmies if we play a stroke play during a casual round. Since skins game is a match play, we see no reason not to give gimmies. But when we play nassau or other stroke play betting game, we putt everything out, even a tap in. Hell, I've seen even a pro miss a tap in.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I use them with friends.
it speeds up play.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I'll generally give em. Anything inside a foot or so, I reckon is dead, but it does depend on the putt to an extent. If it's a sharp downhill, left to right - maybe not.

Fun round though - definitely.

I did actually concede a gimme on Sunday which was all of 40 yards. We play a society stableford with handicap cuts for anything over 36 points - 1 stroke per point over 36, 3 strokes per point over 40.

Played Sunday with one of the notorious sandbaggers. Claims a 24 but is more a 15 - 16 tops.

On the 18th which is a par 5 and where he gets 2 strokes, he was just on the fringe in 2. He lined up for the putt and I gave it to him for a six pointer, total 42 and a 10 shot cut for next week.

As we only get 0.3 back for anything under 30 points, it's gonna take him a while to get back to bandit territory

I'

Class - that'll teach him

In my Bag,

Putter: a two ball copy
SW: Titleist vokey
GW: Cleveland 52dg Irons: Ping eye 3, pw - 3 & a non descript 1 iron.Woods: King Cobra 5wDriver: Titleist 360 TIn my Hip flask: Scotch

If its freezing cold, chucking it down with rain, water in the hole and a practise round theres no way im putting that ball in the hole from a foot out :-p

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Getting worked up over gimmies strikes me as silly. If they're so short, tap 'em in - why line them up if they're "gimmes?"

I have always felt the same way. Why argue that I am not giving you a "gimmie"? If it is a "gimmie" AKA a tap-in.....go tap it in. Now, you mention lining up your putt and taking extra time.....if you (the one with the tap-in) feel like you would have to line up that putt to make it, it probably is not a "gimmie" and me making you putt it is justified.

I should say I see your point about a leisurely round of match play between friends, but the rule still applies. If you are worried about missing it, 1. it is probably not a gimmie and 2. he is completely justified in asking you to hole out.

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

A gimme shouldn't require even the least bit of effort, by definition. I play in a competitive league; good-natured, social, but still competitive. I never, ever expect to be given a putt. I play my ball tee to hole. That being said, I had a really good year putting, and was finding that many people were giving me putts quite generously at times. Fine. But, if they don't give it to me, it's on me to make it, plain and simple. If it's so obvious they should, then it shouldn't take me hardly any time at all to knock it in.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• 4 months later...
Understand the game is meant to be played tee to hole. However, if everyone putts out for "casual" weekend rounds, they would last 6 hours. Can't tell you the number of times I've wished the group in front would just pick up as we watch him 3 putt from 2 feet.

Would you take or give putts for the sake pace? Would you putt-out even if everyone in your group takes or gets putts?

Would you count a round towards your handicap if you get or take putts because of pace?

People give too many putts. I don't know about you but I have missed my share of short putts. Anything out of 2 feet I'll mark and use my trusty line. there are many many people who never putt anything inside of 3 or 4 feet.

Brian

Gimmies are bogus. Finish your hole one of my friend prob shaves 3-5 strokes of by playing gimmies of 3 ft. play tee to cup and you wont have the prob. I hate gimmies.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gimmies are fine in my book, but they have to be a gimmie. A putt that is a relief to get isn't a gimmie.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Match play, it's in the rules (conceded putt) so no need to make extra rules. Also, it's a gimmie, not a takey, so if someone gives it, it's their choice - end of story!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

If it is a casual round (i..e, non-tourney, no betting involved), I will take as many putts at whatever distance I please. It's my game and, in my opinion, if anyone wants to tell me how I have to play my own game, they can go F*** themselves.

My 2 cents

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

In non-tournament or betting situations, I take or give putts because I think pace of play is more important. Sure, I can miss a 2 footer, but if I go through my routine, I can make it 98%. I know because I take and make that many in my practices. I can casually tap it in 9/10.

My question is, should I hold up everyone, not just those in my group but also all those behind me, just to see if this 2 footer is in that 2%? Part of me feels bad that I didn't hole it out, but when I do hole out, I feel worse seeing how everyone else is obviousely annoyed that I did.

My question is, should I hold up everyone, not just those in my group but also all those behind me, just to see if this 2 footer is in that 2%? Part of me feels bad that I didn't hole it out, but when I do hole out, I feel worse seeing how everyone else is obviousely annoyed that I did.

Playing the game you paid your greens fees to play isn't holding everyone up, IMO. I don't believe for a moment that holing out the short putts is a significant addition of time to a round. If you're playing slowly enough that everyone else is annoyed, it's not the 30 seconds on that putt that you should worry about, it's the 5 minutes you burned somewhere else on the hole.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 5097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!