IGNORED

The more effort I put into developing a correct swing, the worse the results get.

mbmbmbhb
Note: This thread is 5272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

...I took out a 7 iron, and got myself into the "correct" posture. I put the "correct" grip on the club, and tried keeping everything I had learned about a good golf swing in the back of my mind:

mb, your general swing description and fat-hit sounds similar to the swing problems I have been experiencing the past few months.

One question: are you rotating your left forearm 90* or so in the backswing? I ask since for a while I have been turning my shoulders, arms, and hinging the wrists _without_ letting my left arm rotate, which has resulted in fat shots and leaving the club-face open. None of my instructors noticed the issue with my left arm since I managed to get my wrists to appear set in the top of the backswing. However I was compensating by severely cupping my left wrist (since my arms are very flexible), so as a result my wrists would not unhinge properly. Because of my stuck position I would lunge forward at the ball in the downswing, causing the ball to hit the hosel, or at other times leave the clubface open at impact. To illustrate further here's a video from Jeff Ritter that discusses the arm, forearm and wrist-hinge movement in the backswing (along with a drill).

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

hmmm... i might get flack for this but... maybe make a swing vid for us?
maybe what you believe is a poper swing... isnt as proper as you think?
i had a vid analysis of my swing that i thought was fundamentally sound... until a pro broke it down for me and i was amazed at the subtle flaws...

on another note... i have a friend with the most horrendous looking swing... but he plays to an 11 hcp... most ppl would swear the guy couldnt break 100 and alot call him the luckiest mofo to score the way he does... but he is absolutely consistent and trusts his shots regardless of never having a lesson...

so... either see a pro... or go with what you know
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Even with what seem to be the correct form points it is hitting the ball that is important and the concentration must be on the ball. Concentrating on form will detract from that and make it more difficult until whatever form you are using becomes ingrained. I suggest just concentrating on the ball.

From personal experience, I would strongly advocate developing your swing in the manner you've talked about!!

It is difficult to consciously change an unconscious movement, and then it takes time and conscious practise to turn those ensure those new movements function correctly in the subconscious (muscle memory as people call it)...

It may seem annoying, but after a while it will seem worth while! :D

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

i have a friend with the most horrendous looking swing... but he plays to an 11 hcp... most ppl would swear the guy couldnt break 100 and alot call him the luckiest mofo to score the way he does... but he is absolutely consistent

To get that low with a horrible swing he probably plays within his limitations.

I have gotten down to a 10 handicap by only using my 7i, even off the tees of my 6200 yard course. My 7i only goes 150 yards but ball flight and direction are very consistent. I lay up on the par 4's for bogey but par everything else because I consistently hit the greens of the par 3's and 5's.

Note: This thread is 5272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!