Sign in to follow this  
stebed

New AP2 Irons

Note: This thread is 3673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

26 posts / 14942 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

Has anyone out there got the new AP2 irons yet? I have the original AP1's and would like to change to AP2's over the winter just wondering has anyone changed from old AP2 to new AP2 and can you tell the difference?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

i'll report back next week when my 710 Ap2s are shipped and i'll be able to hit them (hopefully on tuesday, if not during the weekend). i've hit the 08 AP2s and they feel great. they're pretty long as well and easy to work.

From the literature ive read, the differences between 710 AP2 and the 08 models seem more like minor tweeks rather than a performance overhaul. Mostly improvements to the feel of the club. I bet they play exactly the same.

the main difference is the dynamic golds as a stock shaft instead of the project x. the bounce is different on the shorter irons. apart from visual differences i expect them to play about the same.

i tested the new ap2 irons at a titleist demo day.
the irons feel a little better but hardly noticeable.
you cant really tell the difference.

Really? Well on the website they make a point of it this year. Do the 735's have V?

Two things:

1) Please stop saying "V" grooves. They don't need to be "V" grooves in order to conform. Part pet peeve, part technicality... 2) The 735s may very well have them. Email Titleist and ask them. But why does it matter? You're not going to be playing in the U.S. Open or PGA Tour events this year, right? In four years or fourteen years you'll probably have different irons anyway, and that's when it'll matter to you. Besides, it's primarily a wedge rule. If the 735s conform, great. If they don't, it won't be by a noticeable amount... Titleist's players haven't wanted big grooves on their stock irons for quite awhile.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Two things:

I've been playing the AP2 for 8 months now, yet I can still stop the ball dead on the green. It will even stop coming out of light rough, or if I'm hitting a short enough iron that I get a high flight with a fairly soft landing. My 6I will stop within 3 or 4 feet from a good lie (with a Pro V1x). It's only from deep rough or from settled lies that I have to worry about fliers, and then I play for it.

The new groove configuration just ain't a big deal.... why do some people have to keep harping on it?????

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the AP1s (3I & 4I) and AP2s (5I-8I). I was told by a Titleist club pro that I trust that improvements are very small and are feel related, not playability related. Also told that unless you are 2 handicapper or less it would be hard to tell the difference between originals and 2009 improvements.

what alot of people dont realize is that using any club with any grooves you will get the same ammount of spin from the fairway, groove size only makes a difference in rough.

Does anybody know if Titleist has started shipping these irons yet. There website says mid November.
I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and I'm getting a little anxious to get them.

Thanks,
Joe

I've been playing the AP2 for 8 months now, yet I can still stop the ball dead on the green. It will even stop coming out of light rough, or if I'm hitting a short enough iron that I get a high flight with a fairly soft landing. My 6I will stop within 3 or 4 feet from a good lie (with a Pro V1x). It's only from deep rough or from settled lies that I have to worry about fliers, and then I play for it.

Ive had similar results out of the rough. They spin just fine for me. Just as much as the 695cb's i used before.

Note: This thread is 3673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!