IGNORED

Would you rather play.....

juanrjackson
Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which course would you play?

• two times a month at a $100 upscale daily-fee golf course
    • 4 times a month at a $50 local muni.

Not all muny courses are not created equal. Kickingbird, owned by the city of Edmond, Oklahoma, was as nice as any mid-range country club.

Muny courses often rise and fall in quality of playing experience by who runs them. It they are operated managed by a golf management company, or someone who knows how turf grass grows, they tend to do well. If they're run by a political hack like the mayor's alcoholic brother-in-law, they can go downhill fast.

Also, the local economy has an impact on what kind of shape the muny is in. A 25% unemployment rate among the working class and middle class can pretty well sink one.

--------------------------
Note: Not all public-access courses are munies. Some public courses are owned by private investors.
--------------------------

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WUTiger...what you are saying is true. I used to volunteer at a local muni in Fairfax county, VA. I remember the manager telling that the budget for the muni golf courses was being cut due to the county budget situation.

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

it really depends on the course. First off..... i've never seen a $50 muni....

He he... as others have said, there are munis and then there are MUNIS. Breckenridge Golf Club here in Breckenridge, Colorado is a 27 hole Nicklaus designed municipal that costs at last I heard $125 for 18 holes.

It ain't your typical muni.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If I had $200 a month to play with I'd look into joining someplace that would give me unlimited greens fees. Then you could play as much golf as you like without blowing your budget.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Chief Broom...that is true....I can get an annual membership for $720 on a military base that has two eighteen hole courses. Green fees only cost $23 a round. I started to get a membership this year....but decided against it because I don't know if I would really play their the 31 times a year it would take to break even.

I guess my reason for the question was if people would rather have quanity or quality. Regardless of whether they are munis, etc. Probably 99% of people live within a "golf budget" & have to make hard choices :}

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I guess my reason for the question was if people would rather have quanity or quality. Regardless of whether they are munis, etc. Probably 99% of people live within a "golf budget" & have to make hard choices :}

I vote for quantity. Doing that enables you to play better so when you do spluge on quality you get to really appreciate it. Not just because you appreciate the nicer course conditions, but also because you're game is at a higher level due to playing/practicing more.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Chief Broom...that is true....I can get an annual membership for $720 on a military base that has two eighteen hole courses. Green fees only cost $23 a round. I started to get a membership this year....but decided against it because I don't know if I would really play their the 31 times a year it would take to break even.

That is the real difficulty with a question like this one. What is quality for one player may be pedestrian for another. Some players love the challenge of a course that requires good shotmaking skills, and that translates to quality for them, while for an average player that course might be a torture track and no fun at all, no matter how well conditioned.

I prefer a mix of quality and reasonable pricing, along with a layout of average difficulty. A cheap, boring course wouldn't interest me, no matter how many times a month I could afford to play it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

More golf is always better most of the time. Then again, playing a hard course definitely let's you know what you need to work on. Then the rest of the time you're not playing you go practice.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

I'd vote for 25 rounds on the little mom and pop 9 hole course I play at $8 per, but I'm lucky if I have time for even 4 in a month.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I took it this way.... would I rather play twice at a nicely kept course half the times I could play a shitty course.......(keep in mind that the only muni here Is complete garbage)....and when it comes to putting on the "greens" at the muni here, well i'll play half as much and get to enjoy something nicer all day man

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!