IGNORED

Hit by a Golf Ball?

Golf_Gal
Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Saturday morning at my home course. I'm standing on #5 tee box, lining up my shot. It's a par 3, about 150 yards downhill with a creek guarding the front of the green. On the left side of the green along the creek is a huge cottonwood tree that blocks #6 tee box from sight. #6 runs parallel to #5, but heading west (#5 heads east.) The fairway of #6 is perhaps 40 yards or so north of #5 box.

I hear "fore!" and before I can move or react, I get hit in my left side, around towards my back, about 4 inches above my hip bone and about 3 inches below my rib cage - right in the meat.

A friend had teed off on #6, about 180 yards away, and he pulled it straight left off the box. It miraculously went right through the cottonwood tree and hit me dead solid on the fly. This friend hits the ball hard, and he's long, long, long.

I thought I'd been shot.

I've got a circle-shaped bruise where the ball hit. It's looking better today. Sunday night it had about every color in it you could imagine. It's pretty tender to the touch still, but I'm definitely going to survive. I know I never want to get hit again.

The best line about it came from my buddy. "I'm sure glad that didn't hit you in the head! That would;ve made for a long round of golf - hit the ball, drag Dave. Hit the ball, drag Dave."

I'm wondering how stupid I'd look wearing my motorcycle helmet in my Saturday four-ball.

Glad to hear you're [mostly/will be] OK.  Your buddy was right, in the back of the head it will drop you for sure (I've seen that too).  It wouldn't take much to kill you either in the right place.

I was hit in the leg this year with an errant drive, wow did that sting.  I walked funny for a week and couldn't do any serious weightlifting for 2 weeks or I'd get a major cramp in that leg.  I also had a ball come through the windshield on a cart I was riding in, fortunately it hit the seat next to me.

Brad

I had a ball roll through my legs during my backswing on the tee box  ... just saw it in time to halt my swing.    It's unnerving to say the least - can't imagine being struck by a hard hit golf ball - glad you're ok.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've only ever gotten hit by a golf ball once.  I was in high school and on the tee box.  My friend was teeing off on the previous hole, which ran in a somewhat adjacent but opposing direction.  He hits this low worm-burner slice and it takes one bounce and hits me right in the shin bone.  I think it chipped the bone because there's a little piece of bone floating in there where he hit me to this day.  Now racquetball, that's another story...or several.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I have been beaned 4 times....Only once was 4 yelled.  Twice on a beginner course I played as a kid with my Dad as he took game up after me. Sweet Valley in Pa. 9 holes jammed on like 30 acres. Both times on fly in gut/chest.  No problem.  Once as I was tending the pin for my bud as he was chipping 20 ft away. He is a scratch golfer. He skulled a flop and hit my ankle dead on...I limped bad for a few holes.....The worst I never saw or even fathomed. I was at the Boulders in Az. We had played 45 and the host of this shindig said let's get another 9 in. So we each took a cart expecting to knock out the last 9 in less than an hour. We were on a long hole and I went left and my bud went right.  As I was about to hit my shot I got hit in the ankle with a ball that was moving at some serious speed.  My bud's lefty and a big boy. As I lay on the ground not being able to stand on my leg he comes zipping over the hill and sees me.  He says I shanked that sucker.  I couldn't even stand so in we went. He did comp me a nice massage though...LOL

But best I've seen....GHO I was marshalling landing area of a par 5 layup.  Big pond out 275 so most everybody were hitting 1 irons. about 1984.  Rex Caldwell hit it and the guys on the tee are waving right which was right we I was with about 20 spectators. The ball whacked this well endowed gal right above her right BBBBB. By the time Rex got there she had a huge welt. She really helped him out too by rebounding his ball into the fairway. Rex gave her a kiss, signed a glove and off he went...

Never got hit by a golf ball. I had a few come close, i just don't worry about it. If i know i hit a ball were someone might be teeing off, i wate till they finish hitting, usually hiding behind a tree. If its justa  random miss, i can't worry about something i can't control. I just hope they yell fore.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Never been hit but two close calls.

First was when I was a kid - a couple of the older junior members were behind my buddies and I.  Walking down the 7th fairway and suddenly feel something fly just over the top of my hat.  One of the group behind us thought it would be funny to hit into us.  Probably would have killed me had it been a few inches lower.  Understand he got quite the ass chewing from the head pro.  Did I mention that my buddy's father was club president and that it happened to come up at dinner that night?

Second time was actually kind of funny.  Wife and I playing a quick 9 on vacation.  Paired up with a couple (boy/girl) of high school kids. Guy finds the trees on the left side of one of the holes. Both good golfers but I was pretty sure that he wouldn't be able to hit it through that tree he was aiming at.  Fortunately I was watching and when his ball richoched back toward me I was able to jump sideways.  Ball went between me and my bag (was carrying at the time).  Funny part was that his girlfriend yelled "Michael Scott" - which happen to my first and middle name as well - in a MOST disapproving tone.  Couldn't figure out why she was mad at me (only time I get called that is by my mother when I'm in serious trouble).  Once we figured out the name coincidence we all had a good laugh about it.  Glad that I jumped though.  Lets just say that it could have been an "awkward" place for an injury!

Glad you're ok.

Been hit 3 times. First one was a shank off my playing partner that went across my back like a bull whip... and sure as hell stung. The 2nd one was just above the right eye, hit on the fly from about 5 yds. It was my ball that rebounded off a rock. End result, hospital and the mother of all headaches for about two weeks. And two weeks later, the final one was from about 180yds, a hooked tee shot that took one bounce and trapped my right testicle against my thigh - out for the count for a 2nd time in a month. 25 years accident free........ apart from flipping a buggy, see pic to the left <----.

• 7 years later...

Played today, and whilst standing on the tee of the 12th, my friend was hit by a ball aimed at the green of the 11th. The golfer who hit the ball claimed he lost site of the ball in flight, and thus didn't shout "fore". The ball first hit my friend on the wrist, and then bounced against his hip. He hit the ground as if he had been shot, and rolled around in pain. At first I didn't realise what had happened, and thought he was joking around, as he is a real comic. It then became evident he wasn't joking. The guy who hit the ball came sprinting down the fairway to apologise, and was obviously upset. Anyway, my friend survived, and continued to play the awful golf he had already been playing.

So, anyone else encountered such an experience ????

- Simon Hornsby

While never hit by a ball, I was hit by a golf cart, and did not enjoy it.  I was getting out of the golf cart on the passenger side, and the driver's foot slipped and the cart jumped forward, ... I was knocked back into the car, hit the wheel with my head, scrapped my left arm, ... and felt a little groggy.  Now I am VERY careful anytime I get out of a golf cart when I am the passenger.     I can still remember the event clearly -- and it was at least 2 years ago.

I once was playing golf in Hawaii with a bull-necked Colonel when a member of our group launched a low, boring three wood from 50 yards into the back of the Colonel's neck.  Not sure why he was hitting or why the Colonel wasn't paying attention.  Guy went to the ground like he'd been shot with an M-14.  3 minutes later he was up and finishing his round like nothing ever happened.  Pays to have a bull neck.

I could hand the iPad over to my wife, but I’ll just tell the story. We were playing together and on this 1 hole, the cart path stopped by the forward tees and I had to walk back to my tee. She stands in front of the cart and I make solid contact, except I pulled it, ball is headed right at her. She puts her arm up like wonder women, and the ball hits her forearm right on the bone, then continues to fly another 100 yards. She leans over her arm in pain, and it starts to swell, we head to the clubhouse to get ice and then head back to our position in the lineup, we missed 1 hole. She takes 1 more hole off and then gets back to the game and finishes the round. Later the ships doctor took an ex ray which showed no damage, so we just iced for the next day. 

She now stays well clear of my shots. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

1 minute ago, iSank said:

I could hand the iPad over to my wife, but I’ll just tell the story. We were playing together and on this 1 hole, the cart path stopped by the forward tees and I had to walk back to my tee. She stands in front of the cart and I make solid contact, except I pulled it, ball is headed right at her. She puts her arm up like wonder women, and the ball hits her forearm right on the bone, then continues to fly another 100 yards. She leans over her arm in pain, and it starts to swell, we head to the clubhouse to get ice and then head back to our position in the lineup, we missed 1 hole. She takes 1 more hole off and then gets back to the game and finishes the round. Later the ships doctor took an ex ray which showed no damage, so we just iced for the next day. 

She now stays well clear of my shots. 

Is your wife's name Calli Ripken by any chance?

• Thumbs Up 1

The closest I came was when I was sitting in a cart waiting at the 8th hole tee box when one of the guys teeing off on 7 bounced his ball off my cart.

I was caddying for my wife in her Club Championship years ago. She was teeing off when a ball came flying in from the parallel  fairway to the left. She had just taken her club back and I turned and took the shot on my hip. She never knew the ball came at us. The ladies in the group told her what happened told her how I never made a should so not to disturb her swing. On a side note she went on to win the Championship. Her second of the six she eventually won. 

Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!