IGNORED

My Swing (jamo)

jamo
Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice swing. In your first video with the 6 iron it almost looks like my swing. I use stack and tilt and you got the weight on your front leg and a straighter back leg just like my swing. I also like how your using a 6 iron and the ball is still a little behind the middle of your stance towards your back leg.).

Ya i do get a lot of backspin. I am quickly learning from this thread that i play the ball a lot farther towards my back foot than i thought. I'm also learning my swing is more "stacked" than i thought.

In the first one, it looks like you are bending your left elbow a little much.

I did notice this and that is probably the reason that my swing is so long here.

Well that, and the fact that i hadn't actually played in a month before this.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ya i do get a lot of backspin. I am quickly learning from this thread that i play the ball a lot farther towards my back foot than i thought. I'm also learning my swing is more "stacked" than i thought.

Yea i used to put it up a little from the middle of my stance with low irons then move it up a half inch each club till i hit my driver off the instep. Couldnt break 90 and get good backspin because it promotes scooping the ball and not hitting down on it. I started Stack and Tilt with a Pro in my area and within 2 months was shooting mid low 80's and have stuck with it ever since. Its amazing how much different the ball flight is, the distance and the spin you get just putting a little weight on your front foot and moving the ball back a little.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

• 1 month later...

6 Iron Head on

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

6 Iron Back

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

Driver Head on

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

Driver Back

↵ Use original player
← Replay
X
i

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i went again today, here is a link to the blog post: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/entries/88-Practice-Sessions-2-17-10

iacas, if you see this, is the following image a good example of where the shoulders should b? That is a still i took from the 6 iron back video.

And here is a pic that compares it to the swing from October (or November)

In my bag:

• Administrator
iacas, if you see this, is the following image a good example of where the shoulders should b? That is a still i took from the 6 iron back video.

Dude, what's with the huge images with all that white space? Here's to hoping you can edit to remove that and to replace the images.

To be honest, it doesn't look that much different. Your line in the second image isn't touching your right shoulder. Your hips might even be turning a bit too much now and your weight looks like it's on the outside of your right foot (and that the foot is rolling to the outside).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, I fixed the images (deleted the first one), and it looks like you're right about the shoulders. It does feel better, though, for what it's worth. I actually like where the hips are, it seems like when I turn them to where they are in the video, my timing is better, and I make better contact, but that could be due to the fact that the arms are traveling so far. I don't think my weight is on my right foot, it actually feels like i am leaning to far towards my left foot, but I'd be willing to bet the right foot rolling is a result of the hip turn. Well, things to mull over i guess... and thanks for the feedback.

In my bag:

Hi Jamo,

The thing that stands out to me is how disconnected your arms are from your body. The lifting seems like it would be very difficult to time and hit it pure. Maybe a drill that would be useful it the tee in the arm pit drill or use a towel. If you stayed more connected (your arms and your body) consistancy would increase.

Nice swing though. Lots of speed.

Brian

Your swing reminds me of those brawny Longest Drive guys. Take the club up real high with the hands and sort've throw everything at it on the downswing (not meant to be disparaging). Power is good, repeatability might be difficult. I think changing your swing to something more conventional would in some ways be like starting over -- it'll be a lot of different movements from what you are doing now. But, I guess if I was going to pick something right now, I would start with the setup. As a general rule, the hands should be ahead of the ball at address for irons and about even with the ball for the driver. In both cases, from the front view, there should be nearly a straight line formed by the left arm and club from shoulder to clubhead. This would mean that the driver would be played off the left foot approximately. As you go through the clubs down to the wedges, the ball is moved slightly farther back in the stance until about mid-stance for the shortest clubs. In each case, that straight line of the left arm and club should be a pre-swing check. Good luck.

Hi Jamo,

Thats one of the things that i have been working on. It's tough, because the way I learned the game was to bring the club back and throw everything at the ball. I had a lesson 2 years ago and basically i wasn't rotating my hips at all, I was just sliding back and forth. I've made a lot of progress since then, but I've sort of hit a plateau with my swing. Thus, I've been working on connecting my arms and body.

Your swing reminds me of those brawny Longest Drive guys. Take the club up real high with the hands and sort've throw everything at it on the downswing (not meant to be disparaging). Power is good, repeatability might be difficult. I think changing your swing to something more conventional would in some ways be like starting over -- it'll be a lot of different movements from what you are doing now. But, I guess if I was going to pick something right now, I would start with the setup. As a general rule, the hands should be ahead of the ball at address for irons and about even with the ball for the driver. In both cases, from the front view, there should be nearly a straight line formed by the left arm and club from shoulder to clubhead. This would mean that the driver would be played off the left foot approximately. As you go through the clubs down to the wedges, the ball is moved slightly farther back in the stance until about mid-stance for the shortest clubs. In each case, that straight line of the left arm and club should be a pre-swing check. Good luck.

A lot of people have commented on my setup. I think it is because i have a sort of chicken-wing left arm at impact. I don't really know how to fix it, so i've put it on the back burner until the spring, when i can work outside with an instructor. I've been mainly focusing on this that i can fix myself.

If anyone has any other thoughts, keep 'em coming.

In my bag:

• 10 months later...

I haven't used this thread in a while, but I'll put up my swing going into 2011, and see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I clearly need a faster memory card, so the videos have annoying breaks and a few of the downswings get cut off. Anyways, here ya go, and as always all thoughts and comments are appreciated:

6 iron face on

6 iron DTL

Driver face on

Driver DTL

In my bag:

Make sure you don't take that wide stance to an airport bathroom! I'm fighting the same issue. When my stance gets too wide it makes it hard to move left without a move to the left. I see you have a little move with you knee to start the swing.

1. You might try to setup with a little narrower of a stance and try to be more "bowlegged" throughout the backswing.
  2. There's a little move down with your torso on the downswing but you seem to come back up
  3. You might try to hold onto your lag a little longer

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

very powerful swing.

Looks like you've steepened your shoulder plane for the irons, you could steepen the shoulder turn for the driver.

Your right knee goes out toward the ball on the forward swing, try extending/pushing the right leg straight forward.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by uttexas

very powerful swing.

Looks like you've steepened your shoulder plane for the irons, you could steepen the shoulder turn for the driver.

Your right knee goes out toward the ball on the forward swing, try extending/pushing the right leg straight forward.

Thanks. I definitely see the steepening of shoulders with the irons (and I made up a picture a while ago to prove it), but with the driver I haven't made the same progress. With the driver I still have the problem of my head moving left (from a DTL view) which makes my spine more vertical and makes my shoulders turn more horizontal.

I had been working on the knees by trying to roll my right foot in the downswing rather that, well, what I currently do, but all the progress that I made went away once I took a few months off. That is something I want to address eventually.

Originally Posted by The Gill

Make sure you don't take that wide stance to an airport bathroom!  I'm fighting the same issue. When my stance gets too wide it makes it hard to move left without a move to the left. I see you have a little move with you knee to start the swing.

You might try to setup with a little narrower of a stance and try to be more "bowlegged" throughout the backswing.

There's a little move down with your torso on the downswing but you seem to come back up

You might try to hold onto your lag a little longer

Again, thanks. The wide stance is something that I do struggle with, especially with the driver. It certainly limits the amount that I can push my hips forward. Lag is something that I do work on, but there are other things (in particular, impact positions) that, when I improve those, will cause lag to be better.

The way I see it is that I have a ton of stuff to improve. Last time I taped my swing I was taking the club back well under plane, but that seems to have mostly gone away. The thing that I want to address first is impact. My left arm is not as bent as it used to be, but that still needs fixin'. Also I clearly scoop the ball, especially with the irons. My driver I am working on the shoulders. That shouldn't be a terribly hard fix, just something I need to focus on. After that I figure I will move on to the footwork and (for lack of a better word) kneework.

Oh, and one more thing. I made a small change to my grip. I weakened a very strong left hand, and that led to much better contact, at least today.

And, of course, if anyone has any thoughts, all are appreciated.

In my bag:

Originally Posted by Easy

Now that's an aggressive swing.

I like your position at impact, you don't flip at all. Nice!

I assume you're joking about the flipping? It's pretty obvious here. Jamo even said he's aware of it.

jamo.tiff

Originally Posted by walk18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy

Now that's an aggressive swing.

I like your position at impact, you don't flip at all. Nice!

I assume you're joking about the flipping? It's pretty obvious here. Jamo even said he's aware of it.

Maybe he was talking about the driver? It's a lot less noticeable with the driver.

In my bag:

Here are some better videos from today:

6 iron face on

6 iron DTL

Driver face on

Driver DTL

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!