IGNORED

My Swing (jamo)

jamo
Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jamo,

Perhaps some of the "maintain the flying wedge" drills would help.  Dave Wedzik had me doing this drill a lot last summer at the Boston S&T; School.  It's just punch shots with a focus on maintaining the wedge after impact.  Eric could describe it better than me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

Some videos that I took today. I'm seeing the same problems as always: flipping, flat shoulders with the driver, not great right foot action, weight not far enough forward. First two are 6 irons, last two are drivers.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by RedFox999

whats your typically miss with your current swing?

Left, but I don't usually miss directionally. If I miss it's usually fat or thin.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Left, but I don't usually miss directionally. If I miss it's usually fat or thin.

i see, Your swing looks pretty good. Only advice I would give is to use your skill as a feel player, which you look like you are. You look like you are starting to try to incorporate alot of technical stuff into your swing. Has your miss always been left?

James - Sounds like you know what to work on.  Here's a bit of a comparison between you and Luke Donald leading into impact.

The Red/Teal lines are the amount of slide generated (address and impact).

The Yellow and Orange lines show the relationship of the shaft and your left arm leading into impact (lag).  The thick Orange line is impact for both players.  The thick Green line is the shaft after impact (compare this with the position of the arms).

James Lag.jpg

Notice how you are rapidly losing lag here well before the ball.  At impact, the club is now leading the left hand, and the hands really decelerate at the bottom of your swing.

Luke Donald Lag.jpg

Yes, Luke Donald is a pro.... but check out how he maintains lag up until impact.  Also notice (center of angle) how he's moving his hands through the ball more aggressively.  He's maintained the triangle with the arms, shoulders and club well after impact.

I'd really think about hitting the ball with the back of your left hand as you practice.  Accelerate the hands through the hitting area and trust that the club will follow.

If you don't have an impact bag, working with one might really help build lag into your impact position.

• Upvote 2

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

First, as always, thanks for the comments. Even if it seems like I am just brushing something off, it's always appreciated because it makes me really think about my swing, so thanks.

Originally Posted by RedFox999

i see, Your swing looks pretty good. Only advice I would give is to use your skill as a feel player, which you look like you are. You look like you are starting to try to incorporate alot of technical stuff into your swing. Has your miss always been left?

I'm a technical person, so I try to incorporate that into my golf swing. My miss hasn't always been left, and it's not always left either. Sometimes I'll get in a funk for a week and start hitting it right, but on average it's left. But like I said, directional misses aren't really my problem.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

You've come a long way since your OP. Great job so far.

Thanks for that. I actually make up some pictures that show the changes, and they are pretty dramatic, with some things (in a good way).

Originally Posted by delav

James - Sounds like you know what to work on.  Here's a bit of a comparison between you and Luke Donald leading into impact.

The Red/Teal lines are the amount of slide generated (address and impact).

The Yellow and Orange lines show the relationship of the shaft and your left arm leading into impact (lag).  The thick Orange line is impact for both players.  The thick Green line is the shaft after impact (compare this with the position of the arms).

Notice how you are rapidly losing lag here well before the ball.  At impact, the club is now leading the left hand, and the hand really decelerate at the bottom of your swing.

Yes, Luke Donald is a pro.... but check out how he maintains lag up until impact.  Also notice (center of angle) how he's moving his hands through the ball more aggressively.  He's maintained the triangle with the arms, shoulders and club well after impact.

I'd really think about hitting the ball with the back of your left hand as you practice.  Accelerate the hands through the hitting area and trust that the club will follow.

If you don't have an impact bag, working with one might really help build lag into your impact position.

Wow, thanks for that man, much appreciated. I'll definitely think about getting an impact bag.

In my bag:

• Administrator

I posted in the wrong forum. I posted on your old blog.

Anyway, Adam said it above as well: time for some wedge work. :)

You're very CF-y. When you can get to the point where you're hitting a CP push-draw, then you're there, man. ;-)

P.S. There's some video of some dumbass in a green shirt doing some wedge drills... might want to find that one... heh.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I posted in the wrong forum. I posted on your old blog.

Anyway, Adam said it above as well: time for some wedge work. :)

You're very CF-y. When you can get to the point where you're hitting a CP push-draw, then you're there, man. ;-)

P.S. There's some video of some dumbass in a green shirt doing some wedge drills... might want to find that one... heh.

Yeah I have to do something about the two threads. I might just end the blog one and blog about it in a word doc instead.

If I can my impact position like that video by the end of the season, I will be a very happy camper.

In my bag:

Originally Posted by jamo

Wow, thanks for that man, much appreciated. I'll definitely think about getting an impact bag.

Also, an old canvas/durable duffle can be found for a few bucks at a thrift store.  These work just as well as an impact bag if you want to save some cash.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

all I can say is that there must be something good going on in the space 1 foot either side of the ball at impact. Because, to me, it looks a little agricultural...

ie; at setup your left wrist is REALLY angled. The shaft seems to follow your right arm rather than left (which at address means little, but it's something you obviously need to fix during the back/down swing)

For a low handicapper, you stand up in your swing more than anything I've seen. Although the indoor video doesn't look as bad as the original, outdoor one.

Just my untrained observation......

• 1 month later...

Some pics that I made today from videos over the past few years. The ones on the far right are from yesterday. There are things that I like and things thta I don't like, and I'll write about those probably later today. For now, the pictures:

Golf45.jpg

Golf46.jpg

In my bag:

Swing is really improving, and looks like you are shedding some lbs.  Strong work

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Alright- YouTube videos. Including one with the flying wedge drill (which, when you watch, you will find that I clearly haven't mastered ).

6 Iron DTL

6 Iron Face On

Driver DTL

Driver Face On

Flying Wedge Drill

In my bag:

And now my thoughts.

Good:

• I like-for the most part-how my feet are at impact. Not spectacular, but decent.
  • Impact is not quite as bad as last time. Not great, but better.
  • Shoulders with the 6 iron are great.

Bad:

• My hips are way closed at impact. First, my timing was way off this day. My hips just didn't want to cooperate. Second, it could be because I've been focusing so much on my upper body and my feet.
  • My weight is going way too far back. That's annoying.
  • Should pitch with my driver is still flat.
  • Wrists obviously still bowed after impact.
  • Slight to not-so-slight chicken wing.
  • 6 iron swing could be a touch longer.

In my bag:

• Administrator

Hips more forward so that they can continue to rotate. Shoulders will be more open at P8 as well, arms more attached to your body. Hips forward more and then rotational speed kept up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Hips more forward so that they can continue to rotate. Shoulders will be more open at P8 as well, arms more attached to your body. Hips forward more and then rotational speed kept up.

Thanks. Thats pretty much what I was thinking as well. It fixes the hips, the feet, the shoulders, helps the hands, etc.

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 1322 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!