IGNORED

Does your front foot move during the swing?

joepro23
Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What does your front foot (left foot for righties) do during the swing? Also, does front foot movement or non-movement have any impact on distance or accuracy?

When I was younger I actually used to pick up my left foot off the ground significantly during the swing. I heard from someone that doing that was making me lose distance. I changed it and for years I thought I was keeping my front foot completely still, but recently at the range I noticed that I have a small pivot and the foot changes direction slightly to the target. The movement happens subconsciously and during the downswing. I guess it is helping me clear my hips for the follow-through.

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talkin about

"I'm not going left or right of those trees, okay. I'm going over those trees...with a little draw." ~ Tin Cup

I don't know if mine moves, but I do point my left foot slightly towards the target as this relieves the stress on my left knee during the follow through (my belt buckle points well left of target at the end of my swing).

I have also started slightly lifting my left heel near the end of my backswing to allow a little more hip rotation. But then I'm almost 55 years old.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Keeping my left foot down was one of the main things that my instructor had me working on. Lifting my foot was allowing my hips to turn way too much on the backswing and causing all kinds of unnecessary movement. But, hey, I know a lot of golfers who are pretty good and they lift their leading foot....so to each his own.

When I swing barefoot in the house, my left foot spins in place on the toes to end up pointing more toward the target. Can't do that with shoes on, but I since that foot wants to turn, I wonder if it would be beneficial if it were allowed to turn when I play? Might deal some hurt to the bottom of my foot in finding out, though.

Yes it does but I'm working on not lifting it. When my foot lifts on the backswing, I sway and my balance is off. Plus, I don't get as much torque.

I get much better contact, better balance, and more consitensy if I can just keep my stupid left foot steady!

mine moves very slightly... more like a pressure roll on the outside of my front foot starting with the pinky toe going to the heel during the swing
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Having used a dozen different pros since 1974, I have heard it both ways on the front foot/heel.

A raising left heel can help some with weight shift if you snap the heel down on your followthrough.

A still left heel is a good thing if you have trouble overswinging (that's why I keep mine still). I really have more of a "loose" left heel that raises very slightly on longer clubs.

With my 3/4 swing method that emphasizes low, smooth takeaway, I no longer worry about what the front heel does.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Keeping my left foot down was one of the main things that my instructor had me working on. Lifting my foot was allowing my hips to turn way too much on the backswing and causing all kinds of unnecessary movement. But, hey, I know a lot of golfers who are pretty good and they lift their leading foot....so to each his own.

I had the same issue. It caused me to have bad contact.

I heard Peter Kostis talk on a tournament broadcast this summer about the point of view that the left foot was not supposed to move during the backswing, and he said, "I must have missed that memo."

He said there is nothing wrong with it staying on the ground or lifting off it, and for golfers who lack flexibility it should come off the ground.

my left heel comes off the ground during the backswing and i turn my foot toward the target during the downswing, or at the top of my backswing. i had a left ankle injury at one time and keeping that foot anchored just would not work for me. only one person has ever commented about that to me. he was like," how do you move your foot like that?" i dunno, just naturally.

was that a real dog?

My left foot stays planted throughout the swing. Im flexible enough that i dont need to lift it during the backswing. That my change in the years to come, though. lol. But if my left foot does move or slip at any point during my swing, then i most likley hung that shot out to the right.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

My front foot stays down through impact unless I really try to kill the ball (jump through the swing). My back foot is up a bit early.

A friend of mine does some goofy front foot lifting deal....not sure where he picked that up at but it's intentional. I'm always having to tell him to keep it down....doesn't happen though. I even tried laying down behind him and holding it down. Have since given up on him.

I changed it and for years I thought I was keeping my front foot completely still, but recently at the range I noticed that I have a small pivot and the foot changes direction slightly to the target. The movement happens subconsciously and during the downswing.

I have a friend that has the same move. He will actually lift up his foot and turn it so it points toward the target. It gets less and less the shorter the shot. With a driver it is more noticable than a 9-iron. I asked him about it one time and he had no idea that he did it. He is a sub 5 handicap and for his age and swing speed probably gets most of the distance that he is capable of so he isn't losing any power with it and his accuracy is fine.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

My front foot stays in the exact posistion it was in my set up all the way to my follow through. One of the first things i learned in golf from my pro was not to move your front foot. Especially not to lift the heal. It does give you more power/distance but ruins accuracy, consistency and ball striking. Causes more problems then good.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

• 3 years later...

Sometimes when driving I actually pick up my front foot and step forward. I think a lot of us do it because we were trained to do it as kids when playing baseball and tennis. Like many, I'm working on overcoming that reflex.

Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!