IGNORED

Favorite Classic Designer and Modern Designer...

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Classic - Robert and James Foulis, brothers who apprenticed with Old Tom Morris at St. Andrew's before coming to the USA. Key influence in St. Louis golf -->

James designed and Robert built Glen Echo C.C. in 1901. Glen Echo is the oldest country club west of the Mississippi, and site of the 1904 Olympics golf matches held in St.L
Robert designed and built Normandie Golf Club, the oldest public course west of the Mississippi (1901-02).
MacKenzie and Tillingast both got to see what the Foulis brothers did before they ever got started.

Modern - Pete Dye (and his wife Alice, who had a major impact on making courses more playable to women)

Least Known - Raymond Hearn of Holland, MI. Emphasizes existing "lay of the land," and environmentally progressive designs both in USA and in developing nations such as Vietnam (helping golf's growth).

Overrated - Anybody who...
* Puts eight sand traps on a par 4 that also has a creek running through it.
* Moves 50,000 cubic yards of dirt to build a 150-yard par 3.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Classic

Sounds like ya got someone in mind?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Classic - Alister MacKenzie (Only course of his I've played is Pasatiempo but I've studied his other courses at length)
Modern - Coore/Crenshaw
Never Heard of - can't comment on this one
Least/Overrated - Norman

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Love Ron Garl... This is a fabulous course. Grew up in the neighborhood as a kid and I play there a lot.

Ron is well known around my area love the playability his designs have!!

Driver Tit 907D2 9.5 aldila spec grid 67s
HybidTit 585H 19* s flex
IronsTit 775cb 3-pw
WedgesTit vokey 52* 56* 60*
Putter Rife Barbados 35" winn mid pistol gripGolfballBridgestone B330-s/taylormade tp black/titleist prov1x

• 1 year later...

DR ALISTER MACKENZIE - A LEGEND IN THE WORLD OF GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTURE

IMG_3078.JPG

In tribute to the centenary of the course at Hazel Grove GC, the Centenary Committee wanted to create something with ‘Wow Factor’ that commemorated the life and work of Dr Alister MacKenzie. Numerous wall plaques and foundation stones were discussed, but the suggestion that got everyone excited was the creation of a life-size MacKenzie statue, carved from wood.

A unique man of diverse talents, Dr Alister MacKenzie believed golf was the best medicine for many of his patients. His interest in it escalated to a consuming passion and he devised some of the world's most interesting courses.

MacKenzie courses are revered by golfers the world over and include:

• Britain 's Alwoodley and Moortown Clubs in Yorkshire (1907,1909)
  • Hazel Grove, in Cheshire (1913)
  • Australia 's Royal Melbourne (1926)
  • America 's Cypress Point (1928)
  • America 's Crystal Downs (1929)
  • America 's Augusta National, Home of the US Masters (1934)

With the wood carving idea gaining momentum  and substantial centenary donations arriving daily from Hazel Grove members, the committee set about finding someone to create the sculpture.

Having seen champion woodcarver Tim Burgess at work locally (he created the tree carving outside Torkington Park in Hazel Grove) we set up a meeting to discuss the idea, time scales and costs involved in bringing the statue to reality.

Having scoured the internet and various history books supplied by the MacKenzie Society for pictures of the great man, we presented ‘Tim the Carver’ with only 2 or 3 pictures that he could work with to create the masterpiece.

Having identified a potential oak tree that was blocking the view of the 18 th green from the clubhouse balcony, the tree was systematically trimmed back to hopefully preserve the trunk for carving, however it was discovered that the tree was diseased and rotten through the centre. The tree was chopped down and removed and in its place a solid piece of oak trunk measuring over a meter wide and 3 meters in length was set in concrete, ready for the statue to be carved from.

With a wait of over 6 months for a window because of Tim the Carver’s busy schedule of commissions, summer shows and competitions,  mid September 2011 was agreed upon, that way the statue would have time to weather and visiting golfers and new members would see the statue and lots of other “wow factors” which the Centenary Team have been fulfilling on the course, including new bridges, colourful gardens, fountains, 100 bird boxes and 100 fish for the huge lake in the centre of the course. This was to ensure that when we start the centenary year in October 2012, the course and clubhouse will be a spectacular tribute to 00 years of golf.

Early on Monday 12 th September 2011, Tim the Carver started with his selection of nearly 40 different chainsaws cutting large pieces of timber away to start this amazing piece of visual art.

With assistance from members of HGGC who kept the tea flowing and the wood chippings down to a minimum, Tim worked solidly for up to 8 hours a day for 3 days. On the second day a fancy dress golf day was organised with members asked to dress according to the period of 1913.

Teeing off near the carving, golfers were treated to a spectacular sight 4 hours later, as they made their way down the 18 th fairway towards the clubhouse. The statue of Dr Alister MacKenzie was completed and standing proudly behind his signature style, MacKenzie two tier green, looking down the fairway, over the course he created 100 years ago.

Already members and visiting golfers are queuing to have their photographs taken next to the statue as a memento of their day at Hazel Grove GC, and it is hoped that in time the club will create a “Walk of Fame” by taking photographs of celebrities and famous people with the statue, who regularly come to play the course.

Having discussed the initial idea with the Alister MacKenzie Society it has already been agreed that the society will bring a team of players to see the statue and enjoy a round of golf on the HGGC Mackenzie course in the centenary year, where they will unveil a plaque to celebrate the occasion.

Golfers and visitors alike are welcome to come and see the statue in front of the clubhouse and, as always, if you pop up to the 19 th hole balcony, this allows you to see the full panoramic vista of the golf course Dr Alister MacKenzie created all those years ago.

The Captains and Members hope that golfers will take the opportunity to visit Hazel Grove GC and experience for themselves the “Wow Factor” Dr Alister MacKenzie created 100 years ago and which the Centenary Committee have now enhanced

More pictures available at http://www.hazelgrovegolfclub.com/centenary_gallery.php

Dr Alister MacKenzie Statue

Originally Posted by apex53

Classic - Alister MacKenzie (Only course of his I've played is Pasatiempo but I've studied his other courses at length)Modern - Coore/CrenshawNever Heard of - can't comment on this one Least/Overrated - Norman

Some believe that Marion Hollins deserves most of the credit for designing Pasatiempo ands maybe even Cypress (of course back then they would not put a woman's name of them).

I don't like all of Norman's courses but he did a good job with Doonbeg. Although God did most of the work there.

Donald Ross & Allister MacKenzie - love them both woudln't want to chose.

Coore Crenshaw seem to be putting out many nice products.

I have never been a big fan of Jack's designs.

I kind of like Palmer designs as well.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!