IGNORED

Was Woods Good for Golf?

Ole_Tom_Morris
Note: This thread is 5200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Before November, 2009, was Tiger Woods good for golf?

• Heck, yes!
    • Heck, no!
    • I'll take a mulligan.
    • Who cares?

I do think, however, that Woods' off-course image will be permanently tarnished by the events of the last few weeks. Those that think this scandal will just "blow over" are correct only up to a point. It won't be news much longer, but the damage is done: Woods was the biggest name in sports on the planet, the revelations paint a picture of the man completely at odds with his marketed image, and the sheer magnitude of his fall is breathtaking. Interestingly, I noticed that Tag Heuer is now "standing with Tiger Woods". Given the company's market and desired image, that's a

I've thought about this quite a few times lately - what will be the lasting impression to come out of this? Every time, I came back to the same conclusion: real golf fans (and general sports fans, to an extent) will forget about it, whereas their wives/girlfriends won't. What I'm getting at is that as sports fans, we're truly some of the most forgiving people on this planet. Kobe Bryant was accused of raping a girl (which was BS, but still) though it's never really brought up at all anymore. Michael Jordan had his own little reputation, and his own issues, but that's certainly not what comes to mind when I think about MJ. Look at Muhammad Ali. I dont know if you realize he would be considered a pedophile now (at age 25, he married a 17 year old girl). During his professional career, he was what some may consider a rotten person. When you think of Kobe, MJ, or Ali, do you honestly think about any of that now? I know I don't. I remember Jordan being the most dominant player basketball has ever seen. The whole TW story has gotten all this attention simply because he has shunned the press for so long. This is their payback. I got a little prediction for you though - as soon as he comes back and wins his first tournament, he'll be on the cover of Sports Illustrated, ESPN the Magazine, Golf Digest, and loads of other magazines. Great performances makes you forget about stuff like this very quickly. Instead of calling your buddy to ask him if he saw what Ms. #8 looks like, you'll be calling him (or her, I guess), screaming "HOLY SH!T, DID YOU JUST SEE THAT SHOT???" As sports fans, we generally forgive and forget, and then start cheering on our favorites again. Unless you didnt like Tiger before the shat hit the fan. In that case, I guess it's open season for the rest of his career.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Trav to doing some research. I also wondered where the assumption came from that TW had made golf more popular. It seems still largely a game for old white men. Demand for golf is certainly down or flat in this area. TW may be very popular, but most of the rest of the PGA tour is pretty much a bunch of unknowns except for maybe Phil. M. What Golf needs is some more parity and equal competition. 30-40 years ago you had Jack vs. Arnie, vs. Lee T. Gary P. vs. Tom W. There were several black players back then, Lee Elder, C. Sifford. Now it seems like just a bunch of hero worship of one guy. I don't think that makes for as interesting a game. That's not TW's fault. My point is having just one dominant player that a bunch of men follow around like he's the second coming of Christ is not necessarily making the game more popular, as I think the statistics show.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

I took a quick look at Wikipedia. Courtesy of the National Golf foundation, here it is.

In the United States, the number of people who play golf 25 times or more per year decreased from 6.9 million in 2000 to 4.6 million in 2005,[23] according to the National Golf Foundation. The NGF reported that the number who played golf at all decreased from 30 to 26 million over the same period.[23]

I guess TW isn't the Messiah after all.

PrairieParson
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons

Look at Muhammad Ali. I dont know if you realize he would be considered a pedophile now (at age 25, he married a 17 year old girl).

Pedophile is a lover of children, i.e., pre-teens. Don't think 17 qualifies, though he may indeed have attracted a few sideways glances. After all, isn't 25 a bit young for a Trophy Wife?

I guess TW isn't the Messiah after all.

He's NOT the Messiah - he's a very naughty boy!

Pedophile is a lover of children, i.e., pre-teens. Don't think 17 qualifies, though he may indeed have attracted a few sideways glances. After all, isn't 25 a bit young for a Trophy Wife?

Ok, let me put it like this then - if it happened today, he'd be going to jail for statutory rape in many states. My point being though is that if that happened today, Ali would be railed by the media, and some people would consider him to be a piece of trash. If LeBron James (24 years old) married a 17 year old girl today, you don't think TMZ, along with everyone else looking for a story, wouldn't go crazy with that story?

And in a large part of the US, 17 years old does still qualify one as a child. But all this is wayyyy off the point I was trying to make. My point being is that most of the iconic sports figures of the past 50 years or so haven't exactly been model citizens. Yet, as sports fans, this rarely matters to us, as long as they continue to dominate their respective sport.

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I had not heard about Heuer deciding to "stand by" Woods - last I heard, they had decided to suspend marketing relationships in the US, but I guess this was never completely defined. Interesting promo language on the Heuer web site:

It is both his character and his achievements that make Tiger Woods unique..... With his personality and his results, he is a perfect example of prestige and performance which are so important to TAG Heuer. http://www.tagheuer.com/the-brand/st...aphy/index.lbl

I have to say - a few ago I was in an upscale jeweler's for my annual Christmas penance to my wife when I noticed the Heuer poster featuring Woods looking purposefully into the distance and the line: "What are you made of?" It was a little jarring. This is a store geared to a small niche that is not likely to be following Woods' golf exploits very closely. Next time I go in, I'll ask what they are hearing about the marketing campaign.

I have noted on this forum many people who, because of their youth, believe a lot of the crap put out by the MSM and believe it. Believe me, many very good athletes in the past did not run around like dogs, looking for any bitch in heat they could find. Many of them led lives that we good examples for children and adults. People like TW are news because until the last 20 years or so, this type of behavior was a lot rarer. Not every athlete was a Wilt Champerlain or Tony Lema. Society has become a lot more immoral, drug crazed and it is falling apart in front of our faces.

PrairieParson
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons

• Administrator
People like TW are news because until the last 20 years or so, this type of behavior was a lot rarer.

You don't know that for sure. There was no Internet 20 years ago, either, and that alone dramatically changed the way we heard about people.

Case in point: Arnold Palmer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have noted on this forum many people who, because of their youth, believe a lot of the crap put out by the MSM and believe it. Believe me, many very good athletes in the past did not run around like dogs, looking for any bitch in heat they could find. Many of them led lives that we good examples for children and adults. People like TW are news because until the last 20 years or so, this type of behavior was a lot rarer. Not every athlete was a Wilt Champerlain or Tony Lema. Society has become a lot more immoral, drug crazed and it is falling apart in front of our faces.

Not exactly. Athletes have been running around like that for years. The big difference is that it wasn't reported on. The media is radically different now than what it was even 15 years ago, before the Internet made all news immediately available and much more profitable. The reason a lot of the affairs of past generation's athletes aren't general knowledge is because reporters wouldn't publish disparaging articles on a certain athlete in fear of losing access to that athlete.

-  -  - 

Yea this is one of the stupidest threads I've seen on the forum of recent. Ole_Tom_Morris should change his screen name to Ole_Closet_Racist_Guy.

Yep. I am anti-Asian invasion, and that includes Tiger, who is more Asian than anything else. Except of course, for the women's tour. I much prefer the look of Asian women. Se Ri Pak has the most beautiful gams...

Okay. Seriously. What have we learned? That Tiger has been good for golf because there is more public attention for him and for the sport? That there is more money in golf? Does "good" equate to money and fame? Is that where our values lie? Yeah, guess we knew all that before. Guess we knew we live in a shallow, grubby society before too. Maybe it's my hankering for a real hero that makes me diss Tiger. But there are relative heros in golf. A number of them, now and in the past. Good guys, pretty much, as well as superb golfers. But Tiger doesn't make that list. Another thought. In our culture, Tiger couldn't be a big hero and stay a real hero. Not sustainable.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Yep. I am anti-Asian invasion, and that includes Tiger, who is more Asian than anything else. Except of course, for the women's tour. I much prefer the look of Asian women. Se Ri Pak has the most beautiful gams...

You think a golfer is a hero? LOL wow, I can't believe people feel this way. We are doomed as a society.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• Administrator
You think a golfer is a hero?

I think there are different levels of hero. C'mon... he's not saying he saved the lives of thousands of people or something.

Cuz, y'know...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You don't know that for sure. There was no Internet 20 years ago, either, and that alone dramatically changed the way we heard about people.

Arnie ... wait, huh?

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Soon we'll remember how good golfer he is/was. Rest of the stroy will be a goship.....whether it's good or bad.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

Erik has a point about "informational bias" or whatever the correct statistical phrase is, but the argument needs to be developed a lot further than that when it comes to particular golfers IMHO.

Just MO.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Just found this: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/co...%2F19290479%2F

Seems to me that all these companies ought to be playing to Tiger's strengths. When Tiger craps lemons, it's time to make lemonade.

Example: Tiger jogs up in a business suit, stops at the open door of a big limo. In the darkness inside appear to be several voluptuous women. Tiger nods and faces the camera with a trademarked grin. "When your business and...ahem...social life is as complicated as mine, you have to know the exact time all the time. And it's nice to have a distinguished timepiece too, since you can never tell what may arise. This is what I wear, even when I wear nothing else at all." Pulls back sleeve.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

I think there are different levels of hero. C'mon... he's not saying he saved the lives of thousands of people or something.

What do those obese children taking turns wearing a squirrel on head tell us about heroes?

Is this the storyboard for the failed Australian nature show - The Squirrel Hunter?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
What do those obese children taking turns wearing a squirrel on head tell us about heroes?

I guess your kid's a little too old for Higglytown Heroes, eh?

Anyway, "hero" can mean a lot of things. On that show, the policeman that helps rescue the dog or the pizza delivery guy that helps a woman cross the street or other things a lot of people do day-to-day makes them a "Higglytown Heroes." Point is that "hero" has different levels.

Note: This thread is 5200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!