IGNORED

Kenny Perry Breaks Rule (or not) Twice at Shark Shootout

iacas
Note: This thread is 5210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Rule 14-2 prohibits Kenny Perry from doing what he is doing TWICE in this video. Kenny and JB Holmes finished T2 in the 2009 Shark Shootout and cashed checks for $161,666 each.

http://freedrop.wordpress.com/2009/1...tout-scramble/

I'd rate it as unlikely that they'd waive that rule, though it wouldn't surprise me if they retroactively do it to protect Kenny Perry.

I still think he broke the rules earlier this year at the FBR.

Update: the rule was not in effect for this tournament. So KP did NOT break the tournament rules, but he still broke the Rules of Golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn't it just about a year ago there was video of KP improving his lie with a wedge in the rough prior to hitting the shot. Maybe the golf gods got him back at the Masters. We'll see what happens next season.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

i noticed this to and wondered if they waived it during scrambles.

My thought also. At least KP didn't drop a ball out of his pocket and declare..."Here's our ball..it's right here!"

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

i noticed this to and wondered if they waived it during scrambles.

Rule 1-3 says that's not an option. It seems unlikely they would play by "almost golf" rules, even in a scramble, at that level. Plus, of all the times to have that rule, that's the format in which it's most important.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Wasn't it just about a year ago there was video of KP improving his lie with a wedge in the rough prior to hitting the shot.

Thats what iacas was saying about the FBR.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I heard one of the commentators say that it was allowed during the scramble format. But I can't comment on whether or not this exception is valid according to tour rules.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

I saw it also but I'm not sure if it was allowed or not. I just assumed if his playing partners weren't concerned and it's a bit of a lax tourney no big deal.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I also believe it was allowed under that format, but have no means for clarification.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Interesting. I think it is allowed to stand on the extension of a partner's line during Scrambles - but I'm willing to be corrected!

Interesting. I think it is allowed to stand on the extension of a partner's line during Scrambles - but I'm willing to be corrected!

If that is what he did, who benefits/suffers from this and why?

I am confused.

I heard the commentators specifically comment that this was allowed...not sure if it was due to the format or if the tourney allowed it. Either way it was allowed and the made sure to note it in the commentary.

• Administrator
I heard the commentators specifically comment that this was allowed...not sure if it was due to the format or if the tourney allowed it. Either way it was allowed and the made sure to note it in the commentary.

If it was allowed, that's lame. LAME.

I realize a "scramble" isn't "Rules of Golf" (the whole format is invalid, basically) but you should follow the rules that are still possible, and 14-2 is still "follow-able." LAME.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't think he violated the rule.

Kenny was only watching for his OWN reference - not to help on alignment or otherwise assist Holmes. from the Decisions:
The purpose of Rule 14-2b is to prohibit a caddie from positioning himself behind the player while the player makes a stroke in order to advise the player on alignment or otherwise assist him.

And - if it is a violation - the penalty would be on Holmes (of the team), technically. Holmes is the player making the stroke "allowing it" to happen .

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I agree that what I beleive to see is Kenny watching to get a read for his own putt, and not to assist the player. This would not be an infraction of rule 14-2b.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

• Administrator
I don't think he violated the rule.

He did. That decision talks about a caddie "inadvertently" standing on the line, as in a caddie standing there and not really paying attention.

Kenny Perry was paying attention. You need to cite the entire decision, please:

Source: Decision 14-2/4 Caddie Inadvertently Stands on Extension of Line of Play Behind Ball Q. A player's caddie inadvertently stood on an extension of the player's line of play behind the ball when the player made a stroke. The caddie was watching another player play from the next tee. Neither the player nor his caddie was aware that the caddie was so located. Was the player subject to penalty under Rule 14-2b? A. No. The purpose of Rule 14-2b is to prohibit a caddie from positioning himself behind the player while the player makes a stroke in order to advise the player on alignment or otherwise assist him. In this case, the caddie was not so positioned. The same ruling would apply if the player's caddie inadvertently stood on an extension of the line of putt behind the ball during the stroke.

And - if it is a violation - the penalty would be on Holmes (of the team), technically. Holmes is the player making the stroke "allowing it" to happen.

Agreed, but since it's a scramble and the team score is all that counts, the team would incur the penalty.

I agree that what I beleive to see is Kenny watching to get a read for his own putt, and not to assist the player. This would not be an infraction of rule 14-2b.

That's irrelevant. Read the rule.

Source: Rule 14-2 Assistance In making a stroke, a player must not: a. Accept physical assistance or protection from the elements; or b. Allow his caddie, his partner or his partner's caddie to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of play or the line of putt behind the ball.

It says nothing of the intent. It says: "In making a stroke, a player must not allow his partner to position himself on or close to an extension of the line of the putt behind the ball." The rule says "don't let someone stand there." JB let someone stand there. It's irrelevant the intent, except it's quite obvious KP was paying attention and not watching another player tee off on another hole or something. He broke the rule. The only question is whether the rule was "waived" because a scramble isn't "real golf" to begin with. It seems as though it may have been, which I think is disappointing.

Note: This thread is 5210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!