IGNORED

Vokey Spin Milled- Harsh Feel?

Note: This thread is 3942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am just curious if anyone else is of the opinion the Vokey Spin Milled wedges are less than great in the 'feel' arena? I play Mizuno irons and my gap is Mizuno but my sand/lob 58* is a Vokey and it just doesn't feel 'sweet'.

My irons are project X 6.0, my gap is DG Wedge flex, and my Vokey is Project X 5.5. I have tried almost all possible combos and I am thinking the final winner may be another Mizuno with project X?

Any out there have a mizuno wedge with Project X?

Just a tweeker............

I am just curious if anyone else is of the opinion the Vokey Spin Milled wedges are less than great in the 'feel' arena? I play Mizuno irons and my gap is Mizuno but my sand/lob 58* is a Vokey and it just doesn't feel 'sweet'.

Well if you like mizuno's get a mizuno lob wedge.

Well duh...

I like my Vokeys, so I'm probably not the one to ask, but I think that James has the answer.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well duh...

Same here, never hit such consistent shots before. Vokeys feel harsh if you mishit them

badly , otherwise they feel just as soft as my forged irons. If you go with the Mizuno wedge you might want to put a Project X 6.0 in them, usually wedges have very stiff shafts. BTW anyone know if the Vokey stock shaft is an S200 or S400?

I tot vokey are fitted with DG Wedge Shaft ? Normally the wegde should have firmer shaft than the irons .

Agreed. Why would you want a softer flex and lighter shaft in your wedges?

Normally your wedges should be firmer/or the same as the other irons. If I were to customize my wedges, I'd go with Rifle Spinner 6.0 or 6.5. No, vokeys aren't "harsh" - I'd say "clicky". They are not buttery, but I can easily tell you without looking at the club face whether or not I hit it on the button or if I missed it a little. I like, for the shots I play with the wedges, the feeling of the spin milled vokeys.

I do realize wedges are typically stiffer than your irons. As I said before, I have tried a handful of combos thanks to a 90 trade policy at my local shop. The latest happens to be with a slightly softer shaft. I was hoping to gain some feel as I don't struggle with distance or accuracy too much.

Thank you James for such a well thought out response!

I'm a Titleist guy, and I've yet to hit anything of theirs that I didn't like. However, as a former Vokey owner, I've got to say I like the Mizuno wedges better. I still have a 200 series Vokey gap wedge that's laying around somewhere, replaced by the Mizzy. My buddy just got a new set of Vokey SMs. I have no problems with them, they're nice clubs, but I really think the Mizunos are the better wedge.

I play the Rifle Spinner on my SW, and a DG Wedge for my Gap.

I have the Black Nickel Vokey's, they feel a little softer to me than the Chrome models... I'm fairly certain it's all in my head though... whatever fits your eye right?

Mizuno makes great stuff that's for sure

I'm glad I bought a 52* Vokey SM. It made me focus more on my wedge play and practice.

I'm glad I put my 52* Mizuno Pro back into service. It's old and I can't spin it like the Vokey, but it feels better and it gives me more confidence with dialing in specific yardages.

I do like the Vokey out of the sand or deep rough, where I can't really feel the clubhead anyway.

IMO, the feel difference is because of the shaft. Personally, I wouldnt be willing to give spin by going to the Mizunos.
As much as I like my Mizuno wedges, they definetly dont have the spin of a Vokey SM.

I love Titleist irons but don't care for Vokey wedges. Way too clunky and and not very much feel. They are the best spinning wedge out there but there is more to a wedge than just spin. If you are just looking for spin, just get a $20 groove scraper and clean them out every once in a while. To each his own but imo Cleveland's are the best balanced, most versatile wedges out there.

• 10 months later...

my answer is absolutly not. i played with the cleveland 900 sand for the last 12 years and i just got a spin milled last year. in my opinion, they feel like butter. best wedges ever made...... PERIOD.

Both my MP T-11 wedges have PX 5.5 shafts in them .... I like the PX 5.5 ..... just a bit more alive than the DG Wedge flex.

Note: This thread is 3942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!