IGNORED

Does every round need to be posted?

kleraudio
Note: This thread is 5204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So at the new year, Im gonna get an "official" handicap. Probably gonna do it through Golfsmith because when summer rolls around I wont be a club member any longer.

Anyways, do I have to post every round I play? I mean sometimes a round goes so damn bad after 5 holes it turns into a "practice" round

But Im thinking now that if I have an official cap, everything needs to be posted.

I like going out and hitting 2 balls a hole to work on stuff, maybe I can play one for a real score, and one can be for practice?

How does it all work?

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

• Administrator
Anyways, do I have to post every round I play? I mean sometimes a round goes so damn bad after 5 holes it turns into a "practice" round

Post everything. If you want to play a practice round, decide that before you tee off and don't keep score.

I like going out and hitting 2 balls a hole to work on stuff, maybe I can play one for a real score, and one can be for practice?

Eh, avoid doing that... unless you're playing one of your practice rounds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

through golfsmith? can you explain?

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

That won't work---you should only post rounds you play according to the rules of golf. Playing two balls is not allowed.

Well, it might be, but you'd need to take a pair of penalty strokes for every stroke on your "practice" ball. Anyway, I don't keep a real handicap, but I say just report everything. As Iacas suggests, decide *before* teeing off whether it's a practice round or not. If your rounds tend to "go south" on you, your handicap should reflect that. If you just want a vanity 'cap, just make up a number and don't bother with the scores.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Yea, I decide before a round whether or not I am going to record it. Luckily I have not had any stellar rounds while doing this!

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

As others have said, post everything unless you declare practice before the round.

through golfsmith? can you explain?

Golfsmith has a 'club' that you can join at a store or online. I think you pay $20-30 a year and you get member number and you can post your scores online. Technically, to get an official handicap you have to join a club. This doesn't mean you have to join a Country Club. Think of it more along the lines of a handicap club. Many public courses that don't have memberships will still have a club you can join to get an official handicap.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

To get an honest idea of what your official index is, I'd record every round for the next ten sets of 18 holes. I've read that ten is the minimumum number of rounds (18 holes) to get an official handicap index, but some programs can go off of as few as five rounds.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Golfsmith has a 'club' that you can join at a store or online. I think you pay $20-30 a year and you get member number and you can post your scores online. ...

Golf Galaxy has a similar plan. You're required to play a couple a rounds a year on the regional "home course," and a couple of other rounds at any course attested by other golfers in the GG network.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

If your rounds tend to "go south" on you, your handicap should reflect that. If you just want a vanity 'cap, just make up a number and don't bother with the scores.

Well you see, Im very busy and dont have time to do any kind of warm up whatsoever. I get to the course and must tee off before it gets dark out.

The days I can warm up before a round are the days I shoot my best, low to mid 80's... I bomb the first 3 or 4 holes when I dont warm up at all, so should my cap reflect the fact that I cant warm up? I usually "turn" it into a practice round after double bogeying the first 3 holes....... Ive gone triple, triple, triple, double, double then par'd out the rest of the course. Its just the first few holes suck because I need to warm up. I know exactly what you mean, and I will start recording everything. Can 9 hole rounds be recorded and applied to your handicap? I usually only have time to play a full 18 once a week. Twice if Im SUPER lucky to have the time. And Erik, thats a good idea, I'll decide if its a practice round before I tee off and not keep a score. Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

Well you see, Im very busy and dont have time to do any kind of warm up whatsoever. I get to the course and must tee off before it gets dark out.

Every round must be posted if you want to follow USGA rules as far as handicap goes. Practice rounds are not posted but it must be a stipulated *practice* before you tee off.

9 hole rounds can be posted, when you have 2 of them they will be combined to form a full round. It takes 20 posted scores to have a real handicap - the best 10 of 20 are counted so your bad rounds will drop off anyway. Your handicap may bounce all over the place until 20 rounds are posted. I have a friend that decides to turn his rounds into practice rounds after 2-3 bad holes. His handicap is nothing more than a vanity handicap and no one that knows him will allow him on their team in tournaments.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I post every round, regardless of how terrible it starts out. You could tripple the first three hole, and par out shooting 9 over? Never give up no matter what a couple of holes looks like. I shot an 8 today following a birdie and ended up with an 85.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

EVERY round including "Practice" rounds should be posted unless you are not following the rules of golf (like playing more than one ball.).

The only scores deemed unacceptable by the USGA are detailed in the USGA Handicap Manual, Section 5-1f

5-1 f. Unacceptable Scores

Scores made under the following conditions are not acceptable for handicap purposes and must not be entered in the player's scoring record:

(i) When fewer than seven holes are played;

(ii) When made on a golf course in an area in which an inactive season established by the authorized golf association is in effect;

(iii) When a majority of the holes are not played in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf (except for preferred lies);

(iv) When the length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18 holes (or less than 1,500 yards for 9 holes);

(v) When, as a condition of the competition, the maximum number of clubs allowed is less than 14, or types of clubs are limited as, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs;

(vi) When scores are made on a course with no USGA Course Rating or Slope Rating;

(vii) When a player uses non-conforming clubs, non-conforming balls, or tees;

(viii) With respect to Rule 14-3 (Rules of Golf), when an artificial device or piece of unusual equipment is used during the execution of a stroke or when equipment is used in an unusual manner during the execution of a stroke. (See Decision 5-1f/2 for an exception.)

I post every round, regardless of how terrible it starts out. You could tripple the first three hole, and par out shooting 9 over? Never give up no matter what a couple of holes looks like. I shot an 8 today following a birdie and ended up with an 85.

There are stipulations for the max number to post on a given hole relative to par, and it is based on your handicap. This prevents an oddball quad or quintuple bogey ruining your round. You still shot an 85, but the actual score you would post for handicapping purposes would be lower.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

There are stipulations for the max number to post on a given hole relative to par, and it is based on your handicap. This prevents an oddball quad or quintuple bogey ruining your round. You still shot an 85, but the actual score you would post for handicapping purposes would be lower.

Right. After I entered it into the website it showed my ESC score as being an 84.

I just liked how after I posted the round, my Handicap went down .5 lol as long as it keeps going down Im happy. This was my 34th round since August 1st too.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Great info, thanks guys!

Hey Kpaul, where do you keep your handicap? At a club or somewhere online? Since your local, I'd just like to know where the less expensive places are to have a cap as Im gonna get a real one in a few days!

Oh and I gotta get in some rounds before the new year that are "true" handicaped rounds so I can enter them when I sign up for my cap.

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

I used to never record scores, then I started recording only the scores I like. Now I record everything unless I can't finish a round or the play is unbelievably slow that I skip a few holes (I hate public courses around here).

My thinking is that if I play poorly, it is a reflection on where I am at with my game so I don't mind at all putting down a bad score.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

EVERY round including "Practice" rounds should be posted unless you are not following the rules of golf (like playing more than one ball.).

So you are not allowed to practice on the course

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Youre supposed to keep score and post every time you play, but im guilty of not doing so. During the season, ill often play a quick 9 after work. Those are just leasure golfing for me and I rarley keep score during those types of rounds. But as long as you post the majority of them you'll be ok.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!