IGNORED

Critique my swing!?

Zack
Note:Β This thread is 5230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I shot a video a couple days ago of me taking a few swings with my 8 iron in my basement. My swing is a little slow due to the fact I am on a couple rugs and don't want to ruin my clubs. I am more curious about my back swing and possible gripping of the club. Thanks!

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Judging by the smoothness and fluidity of your swing...I'm surprised you are not pro!

Tools of my game:
Burner 09' Driver 10.5 Reg flex
5-pw G10's/ plus Taylormade R7 4 iron
Burner 08' 4 Hybrid
A70S 3 Hybrid Burner 09' 3 wood "Zing" SW 56 degree Fastback Laser range finder / plus Skycaddie SG5...also a great ball retriever!!

Usually people have the lifeline of the right hand covering the left thumb. Your hands look to be separated, with the left thumb clearly visible. I'm no expert, but your right hand grip seems a bit too strong, too far under the club.

Good balance in your swing.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Usually people have the lifeline of the right hand covering the left thumb. Your hands look to be separated, with the left thumb clearly visible. I'm no expert, but your right hand grip seems a bit too strong, too far under the club.

This is exactly what I was hoping I would hear. When I try to cover my left thumb, I feel like I have absolutely no grip on the club. It feels like someone could come and just pull the club right out of my hand. At the top of my swing it feels like my right hand does not even support the club at all. Is this how it is supposed to be when the right hand covers the left thumb?

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

This is exactly what I was hoping I would hear. When I try to cover my left thumb, I feel like I have absolutely no grip on the club. It feels like someone could come and just pull the club right out of my hand. At the top of my swing it feels like my right hand does not even support the club at all. Is this how it is supposed to be when the right hand covers the left thumb?

No, it shouldn't feel unstable. I'm going to wait for Iacas or another low-handicapper to chime in though, because the grip is important and you want to get it correct. What type of grip are you using BTW (overlap, interlock, 10-finger)?

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

No, it shouldn't feel unstable. I'm going to wait for Iacas or another low-handicapper to chime in though, because the grip is important and you want to get it correct. What type of grip are you using BTW (overlap, interlock, 10-finger)?

I am using the interlock. I just tried the "correct" grip with my glove on, and it feels more sturdy. I think I was not keeping enough pressure on my right hand throughout the back swing. The "correct" grip also feels like I do not have to angle my club so far to the left in my stance to square it up.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

just read hogans 5 lessons chapter on grip. good description with illustrations. I am not the greatest golfer in the world but there are a couple of things i would like to point out to you that might help. Your left wrist looks painfully cupped at address, you could just leave your wrist straight. Second, you have kind of a chicken wing in your follow through with your left arm (I suffer from this malady too). Might help to visualize your forearms being tied together with rope (another hoganism), making sure at least one arm is always straight through your swing (left through backswing, right arm after impact). You could also keep your head still (you tilt it during your backswing). But again, I only know this because of experiencing this myself and having it pointed out by the fine members of this forum. :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I have started trying to use the correct grip and my left arm feels alot better. It always felt so far forward in my stance. I noticed as well that my head moves, gotta try and work on that as well. I am also trying to cock my wrists. I used to be able to just start my swing and not have to move my wrists at all.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Aside from your left hand grip being waaaay strong, the one thing that pops out at me is that you don't have much lower body/hip movement. Your left knee should bend down towards the ball and slightly to the inside of your body as your hips turn away from the ball on the backswing. I think you could do this a little more than you are. Your hips (your left hip, specifically) should initiate the downswing by turning in and towards the ball. If you freeze the video at impact, your belt buckle (if you had one) is facing almost directly towards the camera because your arms are initiating the downswing. Try and get your belt buckle rotated at least 45 degrees open at impact, I think that would be helpful in getting your hips to initiate the downswing.

The other thing I think you could try is to keep your left arm a little more straight.
Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. ~John Updike

In my stand bag:
Driver: 983k 10.5*3 Wood: Sumo2 15*Irons: 690cb 2-PWWedges 54* and 58* oil can finishPutter: White hot mallet

Aside from your left hand grip being waaaay strong, the one thing that pops out at me is that you don't have much lower body/hip movement. Your left knee should bend down towards the ball and slightly to the inside of your body as your hips turn away from the ball on the backswing. I think you could do this a little more than you are. Your hips (your left hip, specifically) should initiate the downswing by turning in and towards the ball. If you freeze the video at impact, your belt buckle (if you had one) is facing almost directly towards the camera because your arms are initiating the downswing. Try and get your belt buckle rotated at least 45 degrees open at impact, I think that would be helpful in getting your hips to initiate the downswing.

Ok, I will keep your suggestions in mind! I really want to get a decent swing down and then hopefully I can take some lessons in the spring time when it gets nice out. Right now I can just practice in my basement. Thanks again for all the replies, I really appreciate it!!

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

You certainly have a very repeatable swing, which is great. Good shoulder turn, but not much hip turn. You are also very upright. Do you slice it? Its really impossible to find many mistakes without a behind angle.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You certainly have a very repeatable swing, which is great. Good shoulder turn, but not much hip turn. You are also very upright. Do you slice it? Its really impossible to find many mistakes without a behind angle.

I only slice when I am using the driver off the tee, and that is a whole other problem I need to address, ha ha.

I wish I had room to get a behind angle, maybe I can jerry rig something up here soon.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

You keep your weight centered on the backswing...but its not a bad thing according to some modern swing theories. Look up tips for a stack and tilt swing.

As far as your grip which was already addressed, I would work on your takeaway. I see you are a bit handsy. You want everything for the first foot or so of your swing to move back together, propelled by your shoulder turn alone. After that first foot, you can let the club move up however much you like, as long as you keep your left arm connected to your body. Don't over-do it, or you will end up coming too far inside on your backswing which almost always leads to an over-the-top disaster downswing.

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

You keep your weight centered on the backswing...but its not a bad thing according to some modern swing theories. Look up tips for a stack and tilt swing.

Thanks for the tips about the take away. I will try to implement that part into my swing. The golf swing seems like it keeps getting more complex, ha ha.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Not much hip turn, very "mechanical" swing. Almost sort of "stack and tiltish".

How do you hit them? If it's straight I wouldn't worry about it, straight is good.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Not much hip turn, very "mechanical" swing. Almost sort of "stack and tiltish".

All my iron shots pretty much go straight if I make good contact. I need work on my ball striking. I still top my shots a fair amount with the irons.

X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Take this for what's it's worth, as I am by no means a golf pro or an expert of the golf swing. I agree with the lack of hip turn and I feel as though you may pick up your hands instead of swinging them around your body. That may be related to not turning your hips, but I am not sure. Just my 2 cents, again take it for what it's worth. Looks like a few tweaks and you have yourself a pretty decent golf swing.

I just watched the swing again and at the top of your swing there isn't much hinge in your wrists either; mind you I don't think Moe Norman did either and he was one of the best if not the best ball striker of all time.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9Β  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |
Β 

Note:Β This thread is 5230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!