Sign in to follow this  
kleraudio

Windy in Florida

Note: This thread is 3546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 posts / 1505 viewsLast Reply

This winter has been much windier than normal, anyone else experiencing the same thing elsewhere in the country.

I dont remember winds like this in a long time....

Everyday, especially on the course where its like twice as bad, makes most rounds unenjoyable...

Today I was 129 out, usually a PW, a 6 iron didnt get there....

Anyone else hoping the wind will lay down soon??

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Ya I played in it today and it sucks, just because its hard to judge which club to hit and how hard. But its golf I guess lol.

Yup....played Summerfield today and a usual soft 9 iron par 3 turned into a full 6 iron that stopped dead in the sky and fell on the green....driving was rediculous. Good thing I was with my GF and decided before hand that this would be a practice round.....I havent seen that many 8's in a while. I did birdie 3 of the 4 Par 3's though so that felt good.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Peeble Beach's 7th hole (Picture on the left, my signature) you could hit a PW or a 3 iron depending on the wind they say.

I played a par 3 into the wind about 183 yards out with a choked down driver with good results. so playing in winding conditions can be a blessing to learn different techniques playing the ball low and controling your distance control and direction.

It's been rather windy up here in Ohio too, just not warm enough for golf. It's getting their though. It's 38° right now, the sun is shining, and the snow has melted! I can actually get outside in my backyard today and test out my new clubs!

It's not as bad down here in naples right now, but earlier around late november, early december it was horrible. I couldn't hit my 6 iron (usually 180 club) 150. I was getting so mad...

It was Christmas Eve; me and my buddy played at Hammock Bay and it was at least a 2 and sometimes 3 club wind.

Today would have been great; not windy today. Hopefully it stays that way for awhile.

I played on Thursday (xmas eve) and had the same conversation with my playing partner, I have lived here for 5 years now and cannot remember December being this windy.
I am playing well though, I was talking to our club pro about why my ball doesn't seem to be pushed around too much in the wind unlike the others in my four ball and she said that I am starting to hit my shots a lot more purer and are affected less in the wind than a shot hit less pure, she likened it to I am shooting bullets into the wind and the others are throwing up lame ducks and they get pushed around more in the wind.

Wind in florida...lol

I know...I know. I've been here for 6 weeks (from Ohio) and I'm already spoiled rotten. People outside eating dinner in shorts and I'm cold. Gonna suck when I have to go back to reality in a week or so!

Did play today and the wind was back to being a gentle breeze. Didn't help my score much, but TPC Treviso Bay is one tough course!

Got some great advice on how to hit a knockdown shot:

Move the ball back in your stance about 2-3 balls' worth. Take your normal swing but keep your bellybutton aimed directly at the ball. I'm not one to break down the mechanics, all I know is it's a shorter backswing but it promotes really great contact and a ball that flies low and on a piercing trajectory. For a while I had trouble hitting a nasty hook with this swing and would have to aim 30 yards right of the target, but messing with ball position solved that. There are days even when it's not windy that if I'm not striking the ball well I'll switch to this shot and it helps get me around the course.

AH yes, I finally have that shot in my bag now. I pretty much use it on all par 3's less than 175 yards (windy or not). I tend to hit a fade everytime I use the knockdown which is weird but I love it as I can control it soooo much better than a full swing. Just aim a little left and let it rip. I use no effort at all because its like a 3/4 swing but I do club up because of the shorter and slower swing.

It was Christmas Eve; me and my buddy played at Hammock Bay and it was at least a 2 and sometimes 3 club wind.

Is that course open to the public? It was one of the courses I was looking at when I go down to Naples in January or February...

Note: This thread is 3546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!