IGNORED

Is Pebble Beach Worth $495 (or $550 in 2019)?

neophyte
Note: This thread is 1594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pebble Beach Worth $495

• Yes
    • No

I'd pay it to play Pebble. But if I were doing that, I'd set aside like $3k-$4k so I could fly out and play a bunch of northern/middle California courses at once. Pebble, Spyglass, Poppy, Spanish Bay, Pacific Grove, Pasatiempo, TPC Harding Park ... definitely missing some. I wouldn't just fly in, play Pebble, and go home. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "yes". I have played PB several times over the years. It's more than just an 18 hole round of golf. Especially if you get one of their better caddies. 

When you get done with PB, go play Spyglass Hill. This is the tougher of the two courses imo. 

That whole area is a golfer's dream "golf destination". You don't worry about the costs. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

44 minutes ago, Patch said:

I voted "yes". I have played PB several times over the years. It's more than just an 18 hole round of golf. Especially if you get one of their better caddies. 

When you get done with PB, go play Spyglass Hill. This is the tougher of the two courses imo. 

That whole area is a golfer's dream "golf destination". You don't worry about the costs. 

Depending on your religion or your outlook you only get one chance at life.  Live it once as a pretend professional (with caddie) at Pebble Beach, but play the prescribed tees.  You'll find this sign on the first tee box.  And the starter will hold you to it. 

Spyglass gives you a tease of the ocean on the first few holes then it turns inland for the remainder of the holes.  I played it as a warm-up to my first round at Pebble.  Yes, it is tougher than its older counterpart.

pebble beach handicap sign.jpg

2 hours ago, jamo said:

I'd pay it to play Pebble. But if I were doing that, I'd set aside like $3k-$4k so I could fly out and play a bunch of northern/middle California courses at once. Pebble, Spyglass, Poppy, Spanish Bay, Pacific Grove, Pasatiempo, TPC Harding Park ... definitely missing some. I wouldn't just fly in, play Pebble, and go home. 

Playing all those courses... you're talking lottery winner.

Heck, I’d probably pay the full price for Pebble. It’s hosted six US Opens, so no doubt it’s gonna set you back several hundred bucks to play it. But I’d pay, because you’d get to play a course that you’ll probably play just once in your life.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Has anyone paid to play Pebble Beach and now wishes they had spent the money for something else?  I would be interested in those stories and what they would have rather done.

Brian Kuehn

4 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Has anyone paid to play Pebble Beach and now wishes they had spent the money for something else?  I would be interested in those stories and what they would have rather done.

I paid for myself and two good golf buddies... lodging, meals, flights, spa, adult beverages, golf and caddies.  To this day I do not want that money back.

My next door neighbor feels it was worth the money. If I paid and played, maybe I would too.

When I play a couple courses in Miami that are the same as they were in the 40s or 50s when a bunch of iconic players walked those fairways, I definitely feel something, a very loose kinship with Hogan, Snead, Middlecoff... Maybe I'd feel that way about Pebble.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

3 hours ago, jamo said:

IMO...scratch Harding off your list.....nothing memorable and very average at best....a rip off rate for non-residents.

The only highlight was looking over the water on the back 9 to see the Olympic Club.

Fortunately I was at a company President Club....played Harding twice...so I didn't reach into my pocket...but paid through the nose via a taxable benefit for the entire 4 day event....spousal attendance too.....oh well...ya only live once.

• iacas changed the title to Is Pebble Beach Worth $495 (or $550 in 2019)?
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I believe I would.

Which is why I might never play Pebble Beach. I likely won't ever deem it worth the cost, so I will probably never play it. Because had I forked over > $550, I'd probably regret it.

Meh. I'm simply not enamored with the place. If they did a renovation… then maybe we're talking.

ch-4-19-1.jpg

(The old 17th.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For those who deem the experience worth the cost, more power to you and I sincerely hope you get to go and hope you enjoy every minute of it. 

My inner tightwad will never let me fork over that kind of money for a single round of golf.  Not there, not anywhere.  For what that would cost I can play a seasons worth of golf on my local course and I'd certainly prefer spending my money that way.  

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

I believe I would.

Which is why I might never play Pebble Beach. I likely won't ever deem it worth the cost, so I will probably never play it. Because had I forked over > $550, I'd probably regret it.

Meh. I'm simply not enamored with the place. If they did a renovation… then maybe we're talking.

ch-4-19-1.jpg

(The old 17th.)

They did renovate the fifth hole, a par 3. It was designed by Jack Nicklaus.

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I imagine the people willing to fork over that kind of cash for one round of golf are into the whole Pebble Beach mystique to begin with, so I doubt you'd find too many people who would say they regretted it.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I paid for myself and two good golf buddies... lodging, meals, flights, spa, adult beverages, golf and caddies.  To this day I do not want that money back.

If you're buying, I'm flying.

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

ch-4-19-1.jpg

(The old 17th.)

That hole has character. It'd be cool if it still looked like that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

26 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

They did renovate the fifth hole, a par 3. It was designed by Jack Nicklaus.

Bill... you are correct, it is about the mystique.  It is our golf mecca here in the U.S.  Just like St. Andrews is the golf mecca in Europe.  I was very blessed, I had made a killing in the stock market that year and was feeling generous to golf friends I grew up with in the hood back in St. Louis.  Next time I hit it big I will give you a shout.  BTW, that is the par 3  7th hole and has a lot less sand these days.  And when you play it you don't have to wear knickers.

Let's face it! If you don't want to pay the fee, there are plenty who will! When I was working in sales, I was promised a round at Pebble if I hit a sales target in January, When my boss called to get tee times, the clerk informed him that he would have to call at least a year in advance! 

We "managed" to get off on Spyglass Hill! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Isn’t Pinehurst #2 about the same rate during peak season? Maybe I should start typing U$ Open. Like for Di$ney. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

I believe I would.

ch-4-19-1.jpg

(The old 17th.)

That looks like what Coore & Crenshaw did at Pinehurst. That really looks good! That being said, the trip from the East Coast, car rental, the stay at the lodge, caddie would all add up to more than I pay to play all year. I'd love to play it, but unless I won some sort of contest, it will never happen. I live within driving distance from Pinehurst, but I'll probably never play there, again. I did play there in the early 80s, and two nights, including breakfast and dinner, three rounds cost about $140.

I try to play a bucket list course once a year (this year I was fortunate to play two).  Most recently I played TPC Sawgrass and it cost me over $600 with fore caddy.  Worth it, I would say yes.  Worth it a second time, likely no.  

For whatever reason Pebble doesn't speak to me as a "have to play" but there are others where as long as I continue to have the occasional means I am willing to pay more than seems reasonable.

Note: This thread is 1594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!