IGNORED

How to prevent break down of left wrist at impact?

khale
Note: This thread is 5197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is my major problem. As a result I hit the balls very high and short distances. I also have the tendency to hit behind the ball. One guy I talked to said just don't do it. It sounds easy but I have grooved this bad habit for 8 years now and it is hard to get rid of.

What drills or gadget do you suggest I can use?

Here are my distances:
PW: 100
9: 112
8: 125
7: 140
6: 150
5: 160
4: 170
3: 180
3W: 210
D: 235

Thanks,

Get an impact bag....and practice hitting into it. You can purchase online or make one. Some suggest an old pillowcase stuffed with rags but I make them out of poyester feed bags (we have horses)...strong, durable...fill it with rags, towels...works good. Also i sometimes just leave the feed in the bag (13% molasses mix)....it is heavier and won't move much. This will teach you how to come into the impact zone with a flat left wrist and square clubface.

Hope this helpos

PB

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Swing through the ball not at it.

at address where is your shaft at? are you near your left thigh or centered. im not teacher or pro but maybe try and over do it like lean the shaft way forward to get the feeling of not breaking your wrist.

an exercise drill with stretch bands is hook it to something maybe waste high and make a swing motion and driver the back of your hand towards your target which would stop wrist break down.

just my thoughts.

Bag
Sumo 5900 9.5d
Sumo 3 & 5 Woods Pro launch shafts
Victory Red Split cavity 4-pw
Victory Red Wedges 52/10,56/14/60,10 White hot Putter / Balls

I used to just put a tee next to my ball on a grass practice range, and try to get the divot happening after the ball. I would also hit lots of chip, pitch, and punch shots to ingrain the feeling of correct impact with hands leading the clubhead. Another thing is that you really need to have your weight on the forward leg at impact in order to hit down on the ball. I would reccomend hitting some balls keeping your weight on your front leg, or doing the feet together drill.

As for technique, I have found I need to feel like my arms and trunk are turning through the ball together, so that my hands don't flip the club at the ball (causing fat and thin shots). I have heard some people mention they try to keep the right wrist bent through impact, because a bent right wrist basically insures a flat left wrist. For me, it just feels very manipulated when I try to control the right or left wrist at impact, and hasn't helped much.

I'm still working on these things every day, so hopefully some low hcpers will offer additional advice. Good luck.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

"flying wedge drill"

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Great video. I notice he's lagging the club on his takeaway when he makes those swings (that is, his hands move the handle back before the clubhead from address position). That is another great way to get the feeling of the hands staying ahead of the clubhead.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

Exactly Canadian Pro. If you have a mat at your local driving range, you can hit the back of that as well.

Couple of other things:

Ensure your hands are ahead of the ball at address (not with the driver though)

Try to feel you are pulling from the left hip as you start your downswing, this should help you transfer your weight back onto your left side as well as increasing your lag to give you more distance.

Note: This thread is 5197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!