IGNORED

Are Vokey's overrated?

Note: This thread is 5193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why is that?

Because they are just golf clubs. If you dont make a proper swing, you arent going to get a good result.

How can they be overrated when there are so many people playing them and so many being very satisfied?

The question is though, would so many people swear by Vokeys if they werent marketed and hyped up so much? They are great clubs, but as I said, they arent the magical clubs that they are hyped up to be. I used to game Vokeys and they were very nice wedges, but I wouldnt say they were much, if any better than any of the Cleveland or Mizuno wedges Ive used.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

There not overated i used to plat them but have now been playing the cg12s from clevland lately just like the feel more.

In my Bag
Driver-Taylormade R11 TP Fujikura Blur Stiff 65g shaft
3Wood- Titleist 906 f4
Hybrid- Adams  Idea Pro A12 18degree
Irons- Titleist 712 mbs 3-Pw

Wedges Clevland CG 12 52 56, CG 15 60

Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

... Are they geared toward better players or can anyone play them?

I have test-hit Vokeys, and they are good wedges. Would tend to appeal to players who roll open the face and like to custom-shape each shot. Vokey has six (?) basic sole grinds, and plenty of loft-bounce choices on each. I find the variety confusing. IMHO, anyone can play Vokey, as long as you get the grind-bounce which fits your swing and local turf conditions.

I mainly try to hit my wedges square, maybe open up face a couple of degrees for a quicker stop. I'm happy with my current wedge mix. As for players wedges... I dumped a stock X20 AW a couple of weeks ago - just couldn't get any consistent distance out of it. new CG14 50.08 has less bounce, tighter line and more consistent distance. A Cleveland rep at a demo night talked about stock wedges. He said the PW that come with iron sets is usuallly OK; other stock wedges (GW, SW, LW) don't work all that well. (I know, he wants to sell CG15s). My guess is that since stock wedges come with just one loft/bounce choice, the chances of player finding good match are less. I would say upper-end separate-model wedges are players clubs, but since the wedge loft is high, they are probably easier to hit than a player's 5-iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

not over rated by any means - they are aVERY good wedge and price similar to the rest of the field

Wedges are indeed very subjective and I think that if YOU cannot feel and see a difference between a $300 custom ground wedge and an off the rack $80-100 wedge, I think you'd be better to invest your money elsewhere.

Not to start a cast vs forged debate here, but one thing to keep in mind when you talk about feel is that the use of carbon steel has much, much more to do with feel than does whether the clubhead was cast or forged. A lot of people seem to think that forgings give better feel and performance but with the recent advents of vacuum forging there is really very little difference, if any, between cast or forged clubs.

Infact, some companies are going to using a mix of cast and forged parts in their irons. Take the Titleist AP2s for example. They use a blend or cast and forged clubhead parts and IMO they just use the word forged for marketing.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Are they worth the 100 bucks? What is the advantage of a vokey vs. say a Hippo forged wedge?

As in anything, those who want or have them say Yes, and those who don't want/have say No. What we learn from that is anyone's guess. ;)

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I'm not referring to the feel when I praise the virtues of forged irons. I was talking about accuracy, as in tight shot dispersion. Just so happens that the FORGED MP-R in black nickel is also buttery soft.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

As in anything, those who want or have them say Yes, and those who don't want/have say No. What we learn from that is anyone's guess. ;)

So true.

No point in this thread really.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
No point in this thread really.

Well, I think we established that they're about the same price as everything else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

yeah unless your a club fitter...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 5193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!