IGNORED

Help!!! I cant stop hitting it FAT

Note: This thread is 5198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are a few other things that come to mind to me also when speaking of fat shots.
1: dropping the right shoulder on the downswing, and or head
2: too long of a back-swing, i had a problem with this a while back and was hitting the ball fat. Shortened it and was hitting it pure as could be.
3: make sure you aren't breaking down your wrist too soon and your keeping your hands ahead of the club-head
4: releasing too soon and coming into the ball too far behind it. I recently switched to a muscleback iron and one of the first things i realized was i had to start turning on the ball later to get a more pure shot with them vs my old
cavity backs

In My Cleveland golf stand bag:
Driver: r580xd 10.5
Woods: launcher 3 and 5 woods
Irons: gunmetal TA-3 1 iron and 3-pw
Wedges: MP-T series 53* oil can 58* Putter: sigma

Also, sorry i didnt se an option to edit the post, but a steep downswing can cause you to hit it fat too. You may need to widen your swing some.

In My Cleveland golf stand bag:
Driver: r580xd 10.5
Woods: launcher 3 and 5 woods
Irons: gunmetal TA-3 1 iron and 3-pw
Wedges: MP-T series 53* oil can 58* Putter: sigma

Getting yourself on a video tape is very useful. I noticed my head is moving forward a lot in the downswing. Causing exactly what is explained in the video above. Bottom of the swing moves way forward, I cast the club to have a chance of hitting the ball.

You can also have someone else watch you and see if your head moves towards the target.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went through this about 1.5 years ago, and what solved it for me was a tip about not trying to hit the ball, but rather focusing on where you want the ball to land. (In other words, swing through the ball.) Sounds simple but it did the trick for me.

I forgot about "skying". Good points, and good definitions. I videoed my swing recently as well. A real eye opener. I should do it more..but I get shy to take out the camera and tripod-- isn't that ridiculous?? I mean, no one really cares; and if they think I'm a nerd, I really don't care!!

Well, first off, I use my bad to perch the camera, so almost no one notices. And even those who do all ask if I can film them!

Well, first off, I use my bad to perch the camera, so almost no one notices. And even those who do all ask if I can film them!

interesting I was thinking of doing that..now I will search for a bag perch.. you give me very nice ideas... Thanks Shanks!!!

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

Yeah, a gorillapod is a great tool. Personally, I use a regular tripod, but I have it set so that it just fits right onto my bag. I also have a headcover that acts as a perfect perch. Failing all that, I have plenty of friends with hands.

• 2 weeks later...

just a note of thanks once again to Shanks and MadCity for the video encouragement. I've been videoing myself now more, and I'm spotting so many "easy fixes" that I really regret not doing this much sooner. Once again this forum has helped me. It's absolutely crazy not to video yourself these days if you are serious about your game. And it's so easy to do. I got me a tiny little casio exilim and the thing takes increadible video plus the clearest slow mo you could imagine. And I got me a gorillapod clone for a stand. yay..

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

My problem is hitting it fat. I have tried focusing in front of the ball and this seems to help a little for a few swings. I also never top the ball. Is there a common flaw that causes fat shots? Also are there any drills that could help?

Sorry...late to the party but had to chime in. Here is a drill for you. Paint a line on the ground where you hit balls (doesn't even have to be at a range...could be in your yard) or lay a stick down or something of that nature. Setup so the line is exactly where the ball would normally be (the line or stick should be within your stance, perpendicular to the target line). Now just make swings...no ball...and contact the turf in FRONT of the line. Not on the line...not behind the line....IN FRONT OF THE LINE. Learn to do this first and then add the ball on the line and make the same swing. Don't think about hitting the ball...hit the ground in FRONT of the line.

One other thing...too many people have mentioned that the thin shot is the exact opposite of the fat shot. It is NOT. And hitting balls thin would not be a good method to cure this problem. Thin and fat shots are actually very similar as both shots have the low point of the swing behind the ball. In the case of the fat shot, the low point is too far back and the golfer just buries the club in the ground behind the ball. With the thin shot, the golfer is simply not willing to bury the club at the low point and bends the elbows or wrists to avoid it. This results in clubhead throwaway and the clubhead moves UP (instead of down) as it contacts the ball. Dave

David Wedzik
Director of Instruction, Golf Evolution

LOWEST SCORE WINS! <- Check it out!!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry...late to the party but had to chime in. Here is a drill for you. Paint a line on the ground where you hit balls (doesn't even have to be at a range...could be in your yard) or lay a stick down or something of that nature. Setup so the line is exactly where the ball would normally be (the line or stick should be within your stance, perpendicular to the target line). Now just make swings...no ball...and contact the turf in FRONT of the line. Not on the line...not behind the line....IN FRONT OF THE LINE. Learn to do this first and then add the ball on the line and make the same swing. Don't think about hitting the ball...hit the ground in FRONT of the line.

Wise words, and I would listen to this man (he's already helped me a bunch!)

I thought about this the other day, so I grabbed an iron, a 6 or a 5 I think, and took a tee and marked where the ball was sitting (with a tee on either side of the ball, about 2" away). Then I set up, and took a swing. The back of the divot was about 2" in front of where the ball had been sitting. I think most people do not realize this. Most people think the divot starts at the ball.

just a quick comment. If it is really wet where you play, like it is here{near seattle}, try choking up a little as your feet tend to sink into the turf, and you may hit it fat.

R9 460 driver r7 fairway woods
king cobra 3100 irons
if only i could blow up one less time per round ...

Interesting points. i do agree that fat and thin shots aren't opposites and are both usually caused by the swing bottoming out behind the ball.. I disagree however that

intentionally trying to top it (and then gradually lower your bottom to a thin shot and then a solid hit) is a strategy that cannot help someone who has "the fats".. I know that it worked because it has helped me. Doing it intentionally is a very different animal from it happening as a result of a flaw. When done on purpose, it is forcing you to bottom out much more forward and it re sensitizes you immediately to where the ball is and where the ultimate contact point should be. The main problem with this fix is it requires ego sublimation on the range and for most that's just about impossible.. which is why most won't try it. I do like your line drill and have used variations of it.

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

Note: This thread is 5198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!